The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #451
Crash_OK

Re: Crash's 72 K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Very nice work!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #452
Crash_OK

Update time… Last weekend I fitted the hood.. Like all reproduction parts this one has it issues as well.. Hopefully nothing I cannot work out.

I also finished up the AC control and test fit it.

Thinking about finding a good body man to paint and get everything fitted and looking good. I realize it will be expensive, but I have so much invested in the truck now, I hate to screw it up with a bad paint job.. Thoughts?

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #453
Crash_OK

This weekend I got the crazy idea of disassembling the tilt column I purchased from a fellow board member in order to paint it. First one I have had completely apart. It really wasn’t that hard. I had to build a tool or two, but not a difficult thing.

After cleanup..

I painted the pieces with some “premium” rattle can paint.. It looks really good, but after 2 days the paint is still soft. I am going to strip it all off again and paint it was something better – Not sure yet, I guess I should shoot it with primer and paint it with automotive paint.. For others that have done this, what did you use?

I also started work on the tailgate, but stopped when I realized it has an “S” shaped warped top part. I am not sure I can get it straight without missing it up.. I would love to find a super straight one somewhere, but after seeing what people value them at, I guess I will have to look at reproduction ones..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #454
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Love the dash!!

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #455
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Love the dash!!
Thanks.. I love it too.. almost everthing is driven from the OBDII port, Speed, Tach, Water Temp, Gear position, etc... Everthing except the oil pressure..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #456
mcbassin
Still Learning

More good progress Mark. I like how you just keep getting things done and checked off the list. You will actually finish this truck. BTW, I have a tilt that could use the same treatment. smile
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #457
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
More good progress Mark. I like how you just keep getting things done and checked off the list. You will actually finish this truck. BTW, I have a tilt that could use the same treatment. smile

Thanks Mike.. I got you covered on the tilt.. well.. at least tearing it down.. I have not put mine back together yet.. You might want to see how that turns out first.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #458
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_OK View Post
Update time… Last weekend I fitted the hood.. Like all reproduction parts this one has it issues as well.. Hopefully nothing I cannot work out.

Thinking about finding a good body man to paint and get everything fitted and looking good. I realize it will be expensive, but I have so much invested in the truck now, I hate to screw it up with a bad paint job.. Thoughts?
I highly recommend you meet up with Ryan (screamingchevypickup). Check my US Tom build out. He will shoot you straight for sure.

Last edited by Zoomin; 08-28-2012 at 12:07 AM.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #459
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Ok who's Ryan
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #460
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
I painted the pieces with some “premium” rattle can paint.. It looks really good, but after 2 days the paint is still soft. I am going to strip it all off again and paint it was something better – Not sure yet, I guess I should shoot it with primer and paint it with automotive paint.. For others that have done this, what did you use?

I also started work on the tailgate, but stopped when I realized it has an “S” shaped warped top part. I am not sure I can get it straight without missing it up.. I would love to find a super straight one somewhere, but after seeing what people value them at, I guess I will have to look at reproduction ones..
Let me guess, rustoleum? I've used it plenty on my truck, but switched to a krylon rattle can rust protector paint that has a normal drying time. You can add a catalyst or hardener to rustoleum to help it out though.

I have a few tailgates for sale on craigslist. PM me if your interested. Shipping isn't cheap.

Quote:
Thanks Mike.. I got you covered on the tilt.. well.. at least tearing it down.. I have not put mine back together yet.. You might want to see how that turns out first.
Re-assembly goes much better if you don't delay. I had mine apart for a few months before I decided to get it back together. I ended up taking part of it apart a couple times to redo it because I had the order messed up. Good thing I took lots of pics when I did it or I might have ended up buying another one.

One last comment. I was in the same boat as you last year with my C-10. I really wanted to paint it myself, but I had issues with just getting the primer to spray good and not have too many blemishes. I just didn't have the skill level at the time to do it and the truck means too much to me have a half-assed paint job. I did the body work and had a local body shop do the final sanding and paint. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. My Jimmy is being painted by me though. I'm getting much better with the spray gun, and I got a better spray gun set up also.

You are doing great so far. It's going to be an outstanding truck when its done.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #461
Crash_OK

Blasted the bedsides today…

Found some bondo..

I attempted to blast the bondo out.. it didn’t want to come out.. I thought about leaving it, but I am going to be on the safe side and sand it all out and work the dents and re-bondo..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #462
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
I highly recommend you meet up with Ryan (screamingchevypickup). Check my US Tom build out. He will shoot you straight for sure.
I took your advice.. and contacted Kyle.. Nice build... Thanks

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #463
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Let me guess, rustoleum? I've used it plenty on my truck, but switched to a krylon rattle can rust protector paint that has a normal drying time. You can add a catalyst or hardener to rustoleum to help it out though.

I have a few tailgates for sale on craigslist. PM me if your interested. Shipping isn't cheap.

Re-assembly goes much better if you don't delay. I had mine apart for a few months before I decided to get it back together. I ended up taking part of it apart a couple times to redo it because I had the order messed up. Good thing I took lots of pics when I did it or I might have ended up buying another one.

One last comment. I was in the same boat as you last year with my C-10. I really wanted to paint it myself, but I had issues with just getting the primer to spray good and not have too many blemishes. I just didn't have the skill level at the time to do it and the truck means too much to me have a half-assed paint job. I did the body work and had a local body shop do the final sanding and paint. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. My Jimmy is being painted by me though. I'm getting much better with the spray gun, and I got a better spray gun set up also.

You are doing great so far. It's going to be an outstanding truck when its done.

Thanks.. Wish you were closer... I would get one of your tailgates...

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #464
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice progress on the bed sides. They look pretty solid.
Posted via Mobile Device
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #465
mud.man.rj

Nice progress on the whole truck, gettin there.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #466
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice progress on the bed sides. They look pretty solid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mike, The bedsides are in very good shape except for the bondo. All of the mounting flanges cleaned up really good. Still need to graph the side marker lights into the bedsides..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #467
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud.man.rj View Post
Nice progress on the whole truck, gettin there.
Thanks... Slowly, but surely.. I will get there someday..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #468
Crash_OK

Worked on the bedsides again today, still not quite ready to spray epoxy just yet. I welded up the 14 holes in the bedsides. Then cut the bondo out of the panels and ran the DA over the panels.

After that I started to assemble the tilt…

Tomorrow I hope to gather up some patch panels for the side marker lights from my go to guy, MCbassin… I owe him so much now, I won’t ever be able to get even…

I also need to find a fuel filler door.. Not sure what to use. Maybe something off of a later model chevy or I might look into putting the filler on the inside of the bed, or maybe behind the taillight..

With a little luck I should be able to the bedsides epoxied and bolted to the bed floor this weekend.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 PM   #469
VA72C10
VA72C10

very nice work!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #470
Crash_OK

Relay circuit design for using the Dakota Digital HND-3 cruise control switch
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...prod/prd50.htm
with the DBW LS install… Now if I can find some really small relays to implement this design.. Please let me know if you see any issues with this..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #471
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
I took your advice.. and contacted Kyle.. Nice build... Thanks
Glad you figured out who I meant.

Dash and cruise are really cool additions Mark. You definitely don't see that on these trucks very often.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #472
quadzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
Wow Mark your project is looking great!!! A lot of progress in a short time!!! (and a lot of pics)
You sure get alot done, that's for sure. I like how you solved the gas thank problem. I find the new harness very interesting too, after following along here I'm considering it for my project. This wip is an excellent resource for anyone doing work or modifications on their truck, big or small. Amazing how you can jump from the chassis to the body then to more delicate work like the column in a heartbeat. I would get bewildered quickly. Great work.
quadzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #473
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Glad you figured out who I meant.

Dash and cruise are really cool additions Mark. You definitely don't see that on these trucks very often.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Zoomin, I was confused for a few minutes.. but I figured you were talking about Kyle. The dash and cruise are fun to install and get working. I wish I felt the same about the body work..

Hope yuor build is coming along..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #474
Crash_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadzero View Post
You sure get alot done, that's for sure. I like how you solved the gas thank problem. I find the new harness very interesting too, after following along here I'm considering it for my project. This wip is an excellent resource for anyone doing work or modifications on their truck, big or small. Amazing how you can jump from the chassis to the body then to more delicate work like the column in a heartbeat. I would get bewildered quickly. Great work.
Thanks... I really enjoy the electrical and mechanical aspects of this build. I need to get motivated on the other pieces of this puzzle.

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #475
Crash_OK

Finished grafting the side marker lights into the bedsides. Started on driver side first, it came out ok, but I learned from the process and changed up my process on the passenger side.

\

I decide to make the patch smaller on the passenger side. This helped by not having to cut on the metal as long and provide more support on the bedsides. I had less oil canning on this side as opposed to the driver’s side.

The plan now is to spray some epoxy in the morning.. But that depends on how late we stay on the lake to night.

Working on how to freshen up the aluminum grill. Thought about sanding it down and polishing it, but I am not sure that is the best thing to do to it.. Look of ideas if anyone has any..

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Last edited by Crash_OK; 09-02-2012 at 06:00 PM.