The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
reed62

Vent window seal replace

Hey all,
I have read that some owners bend the frames open enough to slip the new seal into and then use a vise or other device to clamp it back together. Has anyone used dish soap or is the bend/clamp method easier?

Here is my brief write up since there isn't one specific for 60-66 which don't use a pivot style rivet half way up the frame. I used my dremel to grind off the lower 2 rivets at the base of the frame that hold the curved frame to the straight leg. Once that is done it can pivot slightly on the single rivet located at the top of the frame and allows you to remove the window (the frame has a little flex in it that you have to use to pop it out). Once that is done, you can remove the small Phillips screw located in the bottom of the felt channel and peel out the old seal.

Thanks in advance...
reed62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:34 AM   #2
chevylookin

Re: Vent window seal replace

Forgive me if Im not following you directly here, but you want to replace the vent seal, right? It is a pain for sure. But you dont have grind anything or remove rivets at all to get the new seal on. Remove the tension spring nut on the bottom which will allow you to pull the glass out of the frame housing. Then make the little incision for the small housing bracket 2/3's the way up where it screws into the inside door frame and slip the rubber on. Now for getting the rubber pressed into the housing, lots of patience and some WD40 usually does the trick. I usually get a medium sized very dull flat head screw driver and start at the upper section and push in one bottom squared angle of rubber and then push in the other side and work my way down in increments. You can do this with the unit in the door or out. I find it easier to get the rubber into the frame after Ive installed the unit into the door because you are still going to have to mess with gettin the rubber to over lap on the outside of the door skin for a water tight seal, being extremely careful with the screwdriver if there is fresh paint. Good luck.
chevylookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevylookin View Post
Forgive me if Im not following you directly here, but you want to replace the vent seal, right? It is a pain for sure. But you dont have grind anything or remove rivets at all to get the new seal on. Remove the tension spring nut on the bottom which will allow you to pull the glass out of the frame housing. Then make the little incision for the small housing bracket 2/3's the way up where it screws into the inside door frame and slip the rubber on. Now for getting the rubber pressed into the housing, lots of patience and some WD40 usually does the trick. I usually get a medium sized very dull flat head screw driver and start at the upper section and push in one bottom squared angle of rubber and then push in the other side and work my way down in increments. You can do this with the unit in the door or out. I find it easier to get the rubber into the frame after Ive installed the unit into the door because you are still going to have to mess with gettin the rubber to over lap on the outside of the door skin for a water tight seal, being extremely careful with the screwdriver if there is fresh paint. Good luck.
Interesting. I removed the tension spring as part of the disassembly but I found there was no way to remove that glass and frame without grinding off the 2 rivets I talked about. I did not want to distort the shape of the frame to get it out. I also am replacing the divider weatherstrip which is riveted to the main structure. I will try the soap method and maybe use a rubber footed wood clamp to squish it down into the groove. And yes I am working with fresh paint which is why I removed the whole assembly so as to avoid any accidental scratches.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
chevylookin

Youre working on a 64-66?
Old 05-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
reed62

Quote:
Youre working on a 64-66?
Nope....I have a 62
Old 05-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
chevylookin

Im not familiar with the 60-63's vent windows. And you are right. Looking in the -63 shop manual, no specific outline for the rubber replacement. Just a vague pictureless description on how to install the whole unit and minor adjustments.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
chevylookin

did you see this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZao9rxCLA
Old 05-09-2017, 10:56 AM   #8
chevylookin

Eh, disregard that. The video isnt for your vent window. The guy mislabeled it. Its for a 64-66.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
reed62

Quote:
Eh, disregard that. The video isnt for your vent window. The guy mislabeled it. Its for a 64-66.
No problem at all....when I started looking around that is all I saw was the 64-66 or 67-72. They are similar but not a real good step-by-step procedure. I have a junk vent window assembly so maybe I will do a write up on it as to what I did and how it worked for me.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
chevylookin

Yeah, this is frusturating. I can find no literatyre on the 60-63 vent window except for this in the SM.
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #11
reed62

Quote:
Yeah, this is frusturating. I can find no literatyre on the 60-63 vent window except for this in the SM.
No worries man....like I said I will do a small write up with what I find worked the best.

Thanks for looking though...
Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 AM   #12
JPBrecheisen

I've done the bend/clamp method several times and haven't had a single issue.

I used to use dish soap for some rubber parts, but tend to rely on WD40 now. A little bit helps sneak rubber parts in tight places.

By the time you push the frame back together and re-rivet the lower bracket back to the division bar, its back in shape. just don't bend it any more than necessary to get the window out.

If you want a tutorial type video on you tube, look for a 55-59 vent window procedure. They're so similar if you follow the steps for those, you'll be able to get through a 60-63 without an issue.
JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #13
reed62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen View Post
I've done the bend/clamp method several times and haven't had a single issue.

I used to use dish soap for some rubber parts, but tend to rely on WD40 now. A little bit helps sneak rubber parts in tight places.

By the time you push the frame back together and re-rivet the lower bracket back to the division bar, its back in shape. just don't bend it any more than necessary to get the window out.

If you want a tutorial type video on you tube, look for a 55-59 vent window procedure. They're so similar if you follow the steps for those, you'll be able to get through a 60-63 without an issue.

So I used the dish soap and it made it much easier. I slide one side under the edge of the frame and then you only have the opposite side to "snap" in.

The only issue I had was trying to fit the vent wing divider deal into place. It seemed to be too thick after riveting it in place. I didn't feel like ordering seals from 4 different companies trying to find a set that fit well. I will probably use some adhesive backed foam tape at some point in the future. Might even work on removing some of the backing from the seal so it isn't so thick. There seems to be a lot of rubber coating and if I remove it that might give me enough room to clear the glass edge. Right now it sits about 1/8" too proud.

I also found a small trick to making the felt runners fit a little better. I bent the edges of the door edge where they snap into away slightly from the window opening. This angles the bottoms of the felt runners away from the glass. Seems to work pretty good and the window comes all the way up and only has a small 1/4" gap at the top but if you put a little more crank on the window crank it will pop up and seal the deal. Not ideal but it will work for me.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #14
Ken Cook

I'm trying to do this also. I just watched a video that looks pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2acnZxNZro
Ken Cook is offline   Reply With Quote