The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
jaywashburn

Door Window Regulator Changes

Hello,

replaced my rusted out driver's door on my '72 burb with a door from a '69 Suburban. Because the door came as a shell I needed to change the guts from my original door to the '69 one & discovered the differences between the two window regulators. This was done (as many probably know) to accommodate the change in door panel design in the '72.
Looking at the two, the primary differences seem to be the length of the post (where the handle attaches) & the hole pattern (where the unit attaches to the door). Is this the case ?
Because I want to reuse my original door panel on this '69 door I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem & if so how they may have resolved it .
I am wondering if I can switch out the housing unit (has the post/gear attached) from the '72 regulator & put it on the 67-71 regulator. It appears to be held by three rivets only.
Has anyone tried this ?
jaywashburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
smfdco1

Re: Door Window Regulator Changes

Hello, A word to the wise when working with these regulators. When you remove those three rivets holding the shaft and gear the "clock spring" will cause the regulator arm to snap with tremendous force. I have several scars across the fingers of my right hand as a result of such a move. I'm lucky I still have all of my fingers. Not trying to tell you what to do but hopefully saving you or some else a lot of pain.... Thanks
smfdco1 is offline   Reply With Quote