The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2023, 03:32 AM   #1
kglowacky

cost of a Tune

I am thinking of having someone tune my ECM on my LS1. Not sure what I am asking as the term tune seems to mean a lot of diffent things to people. I have a 2001 Firebird LS1. Had someone in Cal. redo my original harness. I have been driving it with great results but been told someone locally should tweak it, Asked someone in the local so called motor head scene and they said yea it cost about $700 , I was wondering is this the going rate for a basic tune on a running and driving motor? Or am I asking the wrong questions?
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:45 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: cost of a Tune

The guy I use charges $100 to unlock the ecm..
That is just a unlock and a base tune..
It's good enough that itll run just fine with that
..once it's running and if you want the dyno tune it's another $300..
Which is worth every penny..to me anyway..
So that's $400.. and its been a few yrs ago when I had the last one done..
So his prices may have increased
My guy is just a small time tuner, working out of a small shop..
So with location and overhead, $700 may not be unrealistic

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 08:30 AM   #3
Joyridin

If you are looking to throw it on a dyno, it starts at $450 around here. The more mods you have, the higher the pricing.

Many places won't touch a swap anymore because they have had so many issues with the wiring being hacked and components removed. Yours is pretty old, so you probably won't have an issue.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 10:29 AM   #4
kglowacky

I really don't know enough to know what I need or don't need. The truck runs good. I know the guy that redid my harness and did whatever they do did set my rearend for a 3.07 I have a 3.70. Not sure if I need to change that or not. My gas milage looks to be around 12mpg. Not looking for HP or anything else other then maybe better mpg.
Old 01-17-2023, 06:04 PM   #5
LS short box

I've done a number of LS swaps. Only one that didn't get a chassis dyno tune was a stock crate LS1 I put in a 71 Corvette. I did a mail order tune and it ran great.
I've never rebuilt a LS harness. I buy the ECM and harness from one source with a base tune. Good enough to get you to the dyno tuner and in my case always on a trailer.
In the MPLS area it's going to be $700-$900 depending on your combo. That includes a road test to check shift points/converter lock up if its an auto. Also check speedo.
Typically I'm at their door step at 8AM and then I'm on my way by noon.
Both of the tuners I've used over the years include a "fine tuning" after you have put a few miles on the car.
One thing that drives tuners crazy is the car owner not knowing what the engine combo is so it's more difficult to narrow down the tune.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:17 AM   #6
Jason Banks

I requires you to have HP Tuners, but, I used mailordertuner.com out of Temple TX.

They have a pretty thorough form online to tell them what you are running, cam, intake, exhaust, etc...

They give you an initial tune and give you instructions on how to make a log file to send back to them to make adjustments after you get it running.

I forgot what it cost when I did it, but its up to $800 including HPTuners.

Surely there is someone on Houston area that will do a dyno tune for less than $700.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:04 AM   #7
kglowacky

I am going to start the search for someone in Houston for a lower price than 700. Again, Not sure if I even need one. The truck runs good but everyone just keep saying a tune is always needed..
Old 01-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #8
clay68c10

You can do it yourself with TunerPro, PCM hammer, and a OBDX cable. You just need a lap top. All in for under $200.

https://obdxpro.com/product/obdx-pro...+United+States

https://www.tunerpro.net/

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/det...hl=en-us&gl=us

It will take some research and learning, but you can do it all without paying someone else.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 12:28 PM   #9
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
I really don't know enough to know what I need or don't need. The truck runs good. I know the guy that redid my harness and did whatever they do did set my rearend for a 3.07 I have a 3.70. Not sure if I need to change that or not. My gas milage looks to be around 12mpg. Not looking for HP or anything else other then maybe better mpg.
Depending on your trans, that MPG does look a bit low. If you have a TH350/400 and 3.70 gears, then that is probably not too far off, but with any OD trans, that is probably a bit low.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:37 PM   #10
kglowacky

2001 ls1 460e
Old 01-20-2023, 09:56 PM   #11
LS short box

If it's tuned for 3.07 gears instead of 3.70 gears all your shift points and the converter lock up will be way off.
Your gas mileage is way low. My LS6/4L60E 98 Wrangler gets around 16-18 mpg and it has the aero of a brick.
If your car is stock I would go with a mail order tune. Check out the folks on LS1tech.com.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:34 PM   #12
Accelo

I paid $550 for a tune on a modified LS1. The tune that was downloaded when they removed the VATS was junk. Night and day after the tune. Tuners can set the speedometer while the vehicle is on the rollers. It was a blast getting it done. With 3.73 gears my truck indicated 130 mph at 6000 rpm in 3rd. (Direct drive 3rd gear).

If your LS1 is all stock a tune may not be required. Cam and headers? It will work better with one, maybe a lot better. When they tune the motor they typically change the Transmission Full Throttle shift points a the same time. Short shifting a motor with a aftermarket camshaft is pointless. A incorrect ratio in the computer will offset everything in a bad way. My truck is 354HP at the wheels. With a LS6 intake, BTR stage II truck camshaft and shorties.

Last edited by Accelo; 01-20-2023 at 11:42 PM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:54 AM   #13
whitedog76

I've been looking into tuning costs and even some aftermarket options like Holley terminator, FITech, et. al. The aftermarket route doesn't seem all that bad when you consider custom tuning costs, having ecm unlocked, trans controls, etc... Not to mention you can tweak a tune by yourself without purchasing an expensive software program and buying "credits." Another benefit is you get a new wiring harness instead of a 20 year old one out of a wreck, old construction van, or whatever it came from.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 04:17 AM   #14
kglowacky

my ls swap is 100% stock
Old 01-21-2023, 11:13 AM   #15
Accelo

Should run great with the stock motor and the stock tune.
There are speedometer correction businesses in the larger metro areas.
They service electronic and manual controlled systems.
Or even send the ECM back, to the original guys, to have the ratio corrected.
However, you mentioned it is running / driving great.
Is you speedometer correct? Is the source cable driven or electronic?
Are the shift points where you like them?
Not sure you need to do anything but enjoy the ride?
The proof is in the function!
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:27 PM   #16
kglowacky

did a trans rear case manual speedometer modification to use my org. speedo . it works well not sure it is perfect but close enough. Shift points seem to be ok. I don't drive it hard just cruse around town. I could send the ecm back to the guy that set it up if it is necessary to change the ratio. If that makes a big a difference, Thats what I don't know.