The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2023, 07:28 PM   #1
Accelo

1/4 mile times with 354 Rear wheel HP.

I purchased a Dragy, it's a GPS driven timer that works in conjunction with a cell phone.
Tried it out today for the first time. 5.7L BTR Stage 2 truck cam & headers.
355hp at the wheels.

0-60 times were 6.7 seconds
1/8 mile 9.75
1/4 mile 15.13

It was a smoke show for sure. Lack of traction was a big issue. The Bridgestone tires evidently are pretty hard. I need to look at the wear rating again. Seems HP isn't the issue traction is. I also have a good positraction installed.

Another issue was if I back off the automatic wanted to shift up. Then is was a bog in the next gear or a forced downshift again. I could manually shift it but that's a little spooky with a column shift.

I just need a little less HP or more traction.

Under the circumstances I may need to add weight over the tires. I am quite sure that would help my times. But ultimately different tires may be required?

Just interesting, getting a truck to go isn't as easy as I envisioned. Just add HP, right?
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:03 AM   #2
Joyridin

Re: 1/4 mile times with 354 Rear wheel HP.

What rear gear ratio do you have? For the first try, I would say those are pretty decent times. You are almost in the 14 second range with massive tire spin. Your 0-60 is pretty good too.

Good tires, a bit more weight in the rear, and you are mid to low 14's for sure.

Last edited by Joyridin; 03-08-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 01:56 PM   #3
Accelo

3.73 gears.
I am going to install the Dragy in my Silverado with a all stock 5.3L
Betting I will beat the 60ft times with my stock Silverado. LOL.
I also have a set of wheels with drag tires on them I will try on the C10.
I purchased the Draby to get a good baseline before I install CNC heads and an intake.
Without some more traction any additional HP will be only good for smoke shows!
The last runs were the best smoke I have ever made with anything I have owned.
I was wishing I had a camera out back. LOL.
My future policy will be; never let a good smoke show go unrecorded.
Temperature was in the low 50's. I am 30ft above sea level.
I am amazed how little traction the truck gets when it's cold outside.
Summer is a completely different ballgame.

Cheers

Last edited by Accelo; 03-08-2023 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:15 PM   #4
bnorth

What was the 1/4 mile mph? That and the weight of your truck also give a good idea of whp.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:32 PM   #5
Myself

I've run my little 2dr 2wd S10 Blazer down the track MANY times shifting on the column LOL! Even had guys in the staging area ask me....'Are you shifting that thing on the column?!'. I have about a 230hp stock iron headed, carbed 305 in it and it runs a tad faster than the time you posted. Weighs in at 3900#.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:49 PM   #6
LS short box

You didn't say what tire pressure you are running. Maybe lower the tire pressure a bit?
We have a 14 Mustang GT 5.0 and when we got it the stock tires that came on the car were still on it. In the owners manual it said do not drive the car if it's colder than 40 degrees because the tires get too hard. They were Goodyear high performance summer tires.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:15 PM   #7
AussieinNC

Acceleration rate is dependent on the mass of the vehicle vs the torque of the engine and gear ratio....

If you want better acceleration, drop the mass (weight) of the vehicle), increase the torque application by softening the rear tire application (reducing slip) and increase the final drive ratio ( try 4.11 for a start).

Move as much weight off the front of the vehicle and put it over the rear axle.
Put 90/10 shocks on front to increase front lift rate on acceleration.

Manually shift the trans starting in L, then 2, then 3.....

Have fun

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:19 PM   #8
Accelo

Thanks everyone for some great suggestions.

I am going to add some weight and fill the rear mounted fuel tank to the top.

Didn't think of the air pressure it was likely 32psi. I will lower it, maybe 25?

I don't think 4:11 would help much, traction was a issue. Wouldn't 4;11 make it worse?

I will try manual shifting. Possibly it will work out, hoping I can feather the throttle some with out shifting up.

Huge loss in traction when it's cold out. In the summer no fire burn outs at all. I had enough smoke to drop the visibility in the adjacent lane if there was anyone there. (All alone on an abandoned road) Frankly somewhat flabbergasted in the difference in traction when it's colder. The temp was 45 deg. The DRAGY records it also.

When it's warm out full throttle, from a stop doesn't result in tire spin. If you are rolling at 15mph and go full throttle you will break the tires loose. Why I purchased the converter.

I also have an uninstalled 2800 stall converter still in the shop. Will be interesting if I can get some traction. May be useful with some warmer weather and implementing some of the suggestions you all had.

Looks like the 1/4 mile time is bogus as you can see the mph drop. I think I chickened out as space is limited. The 1/8 mile was 9.75 @ 80.7mph.
I included the DRAGY graph
Weight is maybe 3900lbs. 1970 SWB

Looks like I am running the same times as Myself (post 5) 230hp motor with similar weights. I know I am leaving a lot on the table.
Still learning the DRAGY software. More to come if the rain ever quits. Going to set up the DRAGY for only the 1/8 mile. Fast enough for the road I can use.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 03-11-2023 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 11:46 PM   #9
Accelo

1/8th Mile ET/Speed and Weight of your car. I used an online calculator using the 1/8 mile, 9.75 @ 80.7mph and 3900 lbs.

Your HP computed from your vehicle ET is 207.82 flywheel HP and 187.04 rear wheel HP.
Your HP computed from your vehicle MPH is 322.09 flywheel HP and 289.88 rear wheel HP.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:13 AM   #10
Accelo

Went and made a couple runs today. Best 0-60 was 6.22 seconds.
I decided that 1/8 mile will have to be good enough as the stop gets a little much. The road length is the limiting factor. I worked on my starts as I know if you don't get that right nothing will be. Traction is still an issue. Tire pressure was lowered to 25psi.
I may even try a little less air. Unsure if it was because it was warmer out or it was the tire air pressure but starts were a little bit better. The other day 0-60 was closer to 7 seconds. Today it was closer to 6 seconds. I am hoping to get a chance to put on the Hoosiers tires sometime this week.
I am also planing to record a 30 to 60 time. Eliminate the tire spin variable. So when I make changes maybe it can be qualified easier?
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 03-15-2023 at 01:22 AM.