The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #26
RichardJ

Re: Battery not charging - tell me what I'm missing

Vettevet has the fuses circled in this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...se#post6219269

Alternator voltage is dependent on several things. Battery state of charge, temperature, and engine rpm effect charge voltage. The small 37 Amp, EX reg Alternator can put out about 20 Amps at idle rpm. The SI alternators can only put out a maximum of 25 Amps at idle and again, that is only if the battery needs it.

Full fielding an alternator is a viable test. It should only be done for a second. The voltage will shoot up to 16-18 volts and the load will drag the engine rpm down. That's all you need to know.
You should use 12 volts from the battery or from Regulator terminal #3. The idea is to eliminate any possible problem from the Regulator and terminal #4 does not do that.

The externally regulated alternator has one side of the field always grounded. The regulator controls the voltage on the other side of the field winding.

The SI alternator has one side of the field winding always connected to 12 Volts. The regulator controls the ground side of the winding. Grounding that side, bypasses the regulator to test the Alt only.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #27
vweater2001

Okay know this is an older thread...jumped the truck, battery 13.9 and alternator reads 14.6 and the alternator is already one wire already. The voltage regulator has been removed by PO with some type of jumper box I’ve never seen. As soon as I turn truck off dies immediately and won’t even crank...I’m going ****en nuts here guys, please help!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
vweater2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #28
vweater2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by vweater2001 View Post
Okay know this is an older thread...jumped the truck, battery 13.9 and alternator reads 14.6 and the alternator is already one wire already. The voltage regulator has been removed by PO with some type of jumper box I’ve never seen. As soon as I turn truck off dies immediately and won’t even crank...I’m going ****en nuts here guys, please help!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
I have the rear ground but it’s a wire, have the one on the middle can under passenger door, the front one on the inner fender is missing and so is the two valve cover ones...could this be the culprit? I’m at my wits end and ready to just pour gas on her and light it up!!! 😡😡
Posted via Mobile Device
vweater2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #29
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

You should delete these two posts and repost in the electrical forum (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=64) very few people will read your posts on a 7 year old thread.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote