The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
ivanuf2

Thumbs up Old Air Products A/C Installation Review

After reading all posts about different A/C systems and their set up I decided to order the Hurricane set up from Old Air Products for my 67 GMC. It had a good reputation with users and I loved the electric control that fits right into the A/C control opening with out modification. I ordered the system to be installed on a smooth firewall, what they do is that the A/C and Heater lines from the evaporator instead of coming out from the back of the unit, they have them coming out to the side of the evaporator. This change created a very tight fit to install the evaporator under the dash. I had to hammer the inside firewall bump on the top right corner to fit the top A/C line into the evaporator. I am NOT USING THE HEATER on my install, this made the installation possible with the smooth firewall changes. I will not recommend this change to anyone that will use the heather and defrost. The A/C kit for a regular install thru the firewall has a mounting plate that will make the installation much easier, but I wanted a custom install and I paid the price. I also got the A/C compressor and alternator bracket from them and they fit great and have a clean engine look. (see photos).

The system is very complete and blows nice cold air, the control has an A/C bottom that you can not really see the light (on or off) during the day. Mine will need to be replaced because I will not stay on. The corner vents are really compact and look nice and elegant, the center vent is a stock looking type. The condenser and dryer with the pre-bet lines fit like a glove and the lines go into the engine bay right where the battery A/C line holder is located, if your battery tray does not have one, they provide a bracket with the kit.

After the install was completed I can point out the following tips:

1. Get the kit with the firewall plates if your going to use the heater and defrost.
2. The kit does not includes an evaporator fan, It is needed to keep the system cool until the engine fans kick in (mine has (2) electric fans).
3. Buy the system before paint and body work to cut all the openings in the cabin and firewall before paint, and also have the engine parts in place when placing the engine into the body.
4. Make sure to measure the water pump (long or short) to order the correct brackets, my mechanic made a mistake and I found out I had the wrong brackets after they were painted, now I have them listed on Ebay for sale, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182.

Overall a nice kit and easy install when ordered as is designed.
Attached Images

ivanuf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Re: Old Air Products A/C Installation Review

Very nice...I will be doing an "Old Air" kit very soon on my 69. thanks for the information!
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
ivanuf2

Some more photos of the install
Attached Images

Last edited by ivanuf2; 03-21-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

They are located just about 5 minutes away from me, I have their unit and so does my Dad, they are always very eager to help out.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
leddzepp

I used their A/10 replacement compressor. Very impressed with it. I will buy their products again.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
TazmanB

I was looking at getting the Alt and A/C compressor brakets from them. I just bought a 69 long bed and the brackets do not line up right and both the power steering and Alt belts are squeeking. What are the part numbers for the brackets you got?
TazmanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
ivanuf2

The A/C is the 40-100R (Passenger Side) Short Water Pump. Alternator bracket is 40-200L (Drivers Side)
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #8
TazmanB

Thank you for the part numbers for the brackets. It is hard to see what the brackets look like on their website. I am also going to buy the A/C kit from them. Did you get the standard kit or upgrade some of the parts?
TazmanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
ivanuf2

Standard kit with brackets.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Nice looking setup....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #11
chevyc10lover

great truck! i need a sistem like that i dont need the heater either.
here we have over 100°f at least 8 months a year...ill save $$ for this sistem .(dont tell my wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuf2 View Post
After reading all posts about different A/C systems and their set up I decided to order the Hurricane set up from Old Air Products for my 67 GMC. It had a good reputation with users and I loved the electric control that fits right into the A/C control opening with out modification. I ordered the system to be installed on a smooth firewall, what they do is that the A/C and Heater lines from the evaporator instead of coming out from the back of the unit, they have them coming out to the side of the evaporator. This change created a very tight fit to install the evaporator under the dash. I had to hammer the inside firewall bump on the top right corner to fit the top A/C line into the evaporator. I am NOT USING THE HEATER on my install, this made the installation possible with the smooth firewall changes. I will not recommend this change to anyone that will use the heather and defrost. The A/C kit for a regular install thru the firewall has a mounting plate that will make the installation much easier, but I wanted a custom install and I paid the price. I also got the A/C compressor and alternator bracket from them and they fit great and have a clean engine look. (see photos).

The system is very complete and blows nice cold air, the control has an A/C bottom that you can not really see the light (on or off) during the day. Mine will need to be replaced because I will not stay on. The corner vents are really compact and look nice and elegant, the center vent is a stock looking type. The condenser and dryer with the pre-bet lines fit like a glove and the lines go into the engine bay right where the battery A/C line holder is located, if your battery tray does not have one, they provide a bracket with the kit.

After the install was completed I can point out the following tips:

1. Get the kit with the firewall plates if your going to use the heater and defrost.
2. The kit does not includes an evaporator fan, It is needed to keep the system cool until the engine fans kick in (mine has (2) electric fans).
3. Buy the system before paint and body work to cut all the openings in the cabin and firewall before paint, and also have the engine parts in place when placing the engine into the body.
4. Make sure to measure the water pump (long or short) to order the correct brackets, my mechanic made a mistake and I found out I had the wrong brackets after they were painted, now I have them listed on Ebay for sale, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182.

Overall a nice kit and easy install when ordered as is designed.
chevyc10lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
ivanuf2

Cool Re: Old Air Products A/C Installation Review

Actually all you need to do is go with your wife to do some errands on Saturday from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm and once you guys get home you say, Honey I was thinking of buying an AC system for the truck, what do you think??
Old 08-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
chevyc10lover

great advice! tnks! i hope it works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanuf2 View Post
Actually all you need to do is go with your wife to do some errands on Saturday from 12:00 pm to 3:00 pm and once you guys get home you say, Honey I was thinking of buying an AC system for the truck, what do you think??
chevyc10lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #14
domeier

I installed the cab side of the hurricane system on my truck some years ago, but ran into trouble with pulley offsets, so never got around to hanging the compressor. I started in on it again this afternoon, and I'll just throw money at it until it's done. I'll put up some photos maybe tomorrow when I get the alternator and compressor mounted. Will have lots of questions about which pulleys to finish it off, and where to get them.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a used complete GM system, or just go without aircon. The heater in this unit puts out about 50% of what the Chevy core did, and the defrost is particularly weak. Also, all the plastic parts are really flimsy.

I wouldn't recommend it.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #15
repeeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post
I installed the cab side of the hurricane system on my truck some years ago, but ran into trouble with pulley offsets, so never got around to hanging the compressor. I started in on it again this afternoon, and I'll just throw money at it until it's done. I'll put up some photos maybe tomorrow when I get the alternator and compressor mounted. Will have lots of questions about which pulleys to finish it off, and where to get them.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a used complete GM system, or just go without aircon. The heater in this unit puts out about 50% of what the Chevy core did, and the defrost is particularly weak. Also, all the plastic parts are really flimsy.

I wouldn't recommend it.
Must be something wrong then...I have this system in my 71 and the heater will burn you out of the truck. It was 29 here this am and only had to turn the fan on low!
2010 Harley Davidson FLHTK
repeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #16
clwest

I just installed their a/c heater system in my 67 non a/c cab truck. It took almost two months to receive the unit, and then it did not have the pressure switch. The instructions are at least awful. It has a switch to cycle the compressor to prevent freezing up, but there is no wiring or even a mention of the wiring to this switch. I will go with another company next time. Just my opinion with my experience.
clwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #17
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

clwest, you need to call them and raise some H, that is not cool to do a customer like that

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #18
clwest

I purchased the kit through a local bodyshop who is a dealer for company, I did not want to cause any problems for the local guy, he has been pretty good to me. With that being said, local guy of not, I will try Vintage Air on my 56.
clwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #19
tonys87

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwest View Post
I just installed their a/c heater system in my 67 non a/c cab truck. It took almost two months to receive the unit, and then it did not have the pressure switch. The instructions are at least awful. It has a switch to cycle the compressor to prevent freezing up, but there is no wiring or even a mention of the wiring to this switch. I will go with another company next time. Just my opinion with my experience.
Hi, I also have their kit and was wondering about this switch you speak of, to prevent freezing.. when does this switch come in handy. I live in las vegas where we really never see and real cold weather.. plus its parked in the garage. but maybe it has nothing to do with that.

one of my hoses just recently leaked most of the freon yesterday after showing my friend what a nice kit it was.. after shuting down the engine and Ac.. we heard some sizzeling, it was the hose. not sure if there is some maintnance that i neglected to do?? car has 3,000 miles since installing the kit.. i would think the hoses would last longer then that.
tonys87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #20
hyatt

I had a custom shop for 23 years Specilized in ac and electrical I have installed several brands Vintage air old air etc I personally like the Old Air setup and have been running one on my own 46 for over 15 years
1940 olds sedan (project)
1967 ss396 chevelle
1999 dually crewcab(24000 miles)
hyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #21
NorCalK5

I just purchased one of these Old Air kits with the electric controls for my '72 Blazer. Can anybody tell me if it hooks up to the vacuum actuator located on the passenger side under the wiper cowl that lets fresh air in?

If not how do I get that thing to move?
NorCalK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:27 AM   #22
'68 Newtricks

Bumping this
I can't seem to find my directions booklet. Can anyone tell me how to set the adjustable thermostat that probes into the coil?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #23
Getter-Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68 Newtricks View Post
Bumping this
I can't seem to find my directions booklet. Can anyone tell me how to set the adjustable thermostat that probes into the coil?
I just got my system this week.
I can not answer your question.
Here is a couple of pictures
of the instructions pertaining to that.
Name:  oa1.jpg
Views: 5902
Size:  43.8 KB

Name:  oa2.jpg
Views: 5748
Size:  42.4 KB
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #24
72MARIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeier View Post

I wouldn't recommend it.
I got to agree I installed this kit in my suburban. Sure it installed ok but perdormance is Total junk. Heat sucks and isnt enough to warm the inside of the cab in the fall. Didn't work well with the 327 and a 180 stat and no better with the 6.0 running a 195. Defrost actually foggs the entire truck up. I wouldnt reccomend using it if heat and defog functions are needed. I also had the high pressure hose fitting break off the compressor.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #25
v8truckin

Can someone post a pic of the backside of their Old Air Product control unit? Would like to see if the 2 split blue wires are connected to anything.

My ride went in for full repaint in April with an 2 month old and working heat/AC unit and got it back but heat/AC wasn’t working.I found grounds disconnected and that resolved the heater issue and my AC compressor kicks on now as well but no cold air. I noticed now there are 2 blue wires not attached to anything in the back of the control unit. Can’t think of anything else other than maybe Freon leaked out…
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: Nevermind found out the blue wires are optional for lighting on the control panel

Last edited by v8truckin; 02-21-2023 at 08:09 PM.
v8truckin is offline   Reply With Quote