The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
epfatboy

1974 Sliding steering column forward

Looking for a little extra space between seat and steering wheel. The steering column in the picture is from an 1986 truck with tilt that was modified to fit the 1974.

Wondering if I can get 3" by sliding more of the column thru the firewall and shortening the intermediate shaft. I think the means I'd need some sort of pinch clamp to replace the brace that the column mounts to now.

Any do this and have some tips?

Here is my mocked up cab layout. I'm 6'3" and the current position is certainly doable but getting a bit more room would be great. Also the height of the seat can be lowered about 1". I'll probably do that shortly also as it will help too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ejuuMffcTUkeLN69
epfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: 1974 Sliding steering column forward

problem is you would be making the wheel sit closer to the seat edge pinching your legs off .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
Goats86

I shortened mine 2". I lost the reverse switch by doing so. There was a thread on here at one time having to do with this. I will look for it.
Goats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
Goats86

Try this link, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...58#post5230758
Goats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #5
epfatboy

Looks easy enough to get almost 2"!

I already re-sized the intermidiate shaft and used 2 roll pins which will punch out easy. I also have a floor shift and tilt so this should be mint.

Feels like I can punch out the roll pins, remove the bolts to the dash bracket and push the Column in until the forward colum nut lines up with the back bracket bolt hole and bolt it up. Then I can redrill the steering shaft for new roll pins.

Last edited by epfatboy; 01-13-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #6
epfatboy

Okay, got this done today and it made a huge difference! Had to cut the plastic column sleeve near the column mounting bracket to allow it to be moved forward so I could bolt the front column mount to rear bracket mount

I also had to move the column electrical but I have an '86 column so this might not apply to you.

Having tilt is key to making this work.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
epfatboy

Just to close this out I thought I'd add a few pictures.

Here is the finished pics with my '86 tilt column installed in my '74 and pushed forward. As I said it didn't move it much, like 2", but it really made a difference for me and where I like to keep my arms when driving. I also can see the gauge cluster with not obstruction which is super cool. I can also jump in and out of the truck with 0 problems although I will likely modify the seat rails as I can probably get the seat to be about 1" lower which would be nice when I wear a helmet at the track but really not required.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yM4GEVyPazx6Sdov9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/P39YFtfDfinwfcmV6
https://photos.app.goo.gl/owkSP94ZKTe5bkg37

Here is a pic of the new mounting on the column. You can see the steering column mount which is closest to the firewall is now unused, this moves the column forward roughly 2"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/opdHa1cf1VQ8aib76

One problem I did have was the ignition cage on the column placed a few wires on brake arm which was eventually going to wear thru and ground out 1-2 of them. I solved that by wire tying the wires tight to the column, it is still wicked close but not touching so I think I'm good but I'll keep an eye on it.

I guess I do have one more question, the intermediate shaft was originally pinned with 2 plastic keepers. Is pinning the intermediate shaft really needed?
Old 01-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #8
Bloodhound

What are your seats from?
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
epfatboy

I bought new from Corbeau. Normally I'd buy ProCar if going new but they didn't ship for 3 months so I figured I'd give these a try. The seat brackets for corbeau are nicer than procar and I had them put a lumbar support in them. Won't know more until I get the truck on the road but so far so good and they feel well built.