The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
aarons49gmc

my 49 gmc build

My first build!
Ive had this truck for a few years now but never had the time/money to do anything with it while i was in highschool so i just drove it as is. all my other pictures of how she used to look are on my old laptop.

thats as good as it gets as far as showing what i had to work with. all white, nasty blue carpet. some old centerline wheels, fenton visor and plywood bed. 228 w 3 speed and g80 rear end. not pretty but it drove!

after dumping about a 1000 into it i ended up with this

now im getting serious about finishing this project! i have since dropped the rear about 6 inches w/ a monoleaf and block combo and replaced the old lever action shocks w/ modern gas shocks. im just about finished updating the front with monoleafs as well

i pulled the old drivetrain the other day. left the rear end so i could still roll her around

so its out with the old and in with the new

i picked up that combo on craigslist. nicely built 4 bolt main 350. edelbrock intake mani and carb. mild cam w/ 480 lift and 230ish duration, moroso oil pan and shorty headers. came with a nice 700r4 tranny

heres a video of it running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=G6kWVnnSiRU

i will continue to update as i get things done!
aarons49gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
mknittle

Re: my 49 gmc build

Pretty clean looking GMC!

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
rollenhard

Nice looks like you may be ready to cruz it around pretty soon
Old 12-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
oldman3

Don't mean to be picky, but the white truck in the first pic is a chevy. Did you get a different truck or change front ends? The GMC looks like a decent truck...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
aarons49gmc

yea ur right. in the first pic it still had a chevy front end. the truck is gmc but it had been wrecked and somebody threw on a chevy front end...i guess the chevy parts were easier to get? i have since changed it back to gmc
Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
aarons49gmc

a few updates...

i got in my engine/tranny crossmembers from brothers as well as my new rad the other day and decided to get to work. first i build this out of 6x6 in order to roll everything around

just wide enough to fit around the truck and complete w/ electric hoist. its ugly but serves its purpose.

i was really torn on removing all the front body panels to mount the motor but i decided it would be waaay easier than trying to snake the whole thing under the cab and between the fenders.

then i marked where the new rad would go, and left about 10 inches for the serpentine system (i hope thats enough for a long wp system!) then bolted in the new crossmember

the old crossmembers had to be cut/ground out and some ofthose rivets were a PITA

more or less where its going...seems really low? everything clears...for now anyway

the trans crossmember is just resting in place for now. i had to trim a couple inches of the firewall/floor pan

more to come!