The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

Electrical question, 7 prong trailer plug...

Ok, I wasn't really sure what section to post this question so I will ask here.

I just finished wiring my trailer plug on my truck and there is a place for an "auxilary power" lead on the 7 prong plug. I want to run a power lead from my truck back to my travel trailer to charge the trailer batteries while in transit. Instructions say to wire it to the fuse panel or a fused lead off the battery. Ok, so I wired it to a keyed accessory on the fuse panel but because of the batteries on the trailer having power, it feeds the power back to the fuse panel and powers my accessory without my turning the key on. Then I decided to wired it to the ignition switch to the cold side (only hot after I turn the key on). That worked great, until I tried to turn my truck off. It feeds power from my travel trailer back to my truck and keeps my truck running after I turn the ignition off and pull the keys out.

So, do I need to run this power lead through a toggle switch where I cut cut the power flow or do I need to install some sort of relay to stop the flow of power back to my truck from my trailer? Thanks for your help guys...........

Pont

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:53 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

I am sure that there are several ways to do what you want it to do. I would look at a relay or you can use a diode in the line from your battery, (power flows toward the trailer only).

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

I would use a relay...you can get the thirty amp ones anywhere... and have it only get power when the key is on. Wire the power to the trailer from the acc side and power the relay from the ignition side.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
bpmcgee

I think they're both great ideas.

The relay is key, to make sure that the battery gets cut off when you turn off the ignition.

The diode is also a good idea, because it makes sure you're never flowing backwards through your circuit.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 03:51 PM   #5
70 CST 4X4
Have A Nice Day!

Talked to a friend who has a shop that repairs RV 's . He uses a dual battery isolator. runs it so it is switched by ignition and fused. Isolator will complete the connection when key is on. Try a local RV repair shop or someone who works on trailers/ rv's.

He said the part was cheap ( 10-15 dollars)

Hope this helps
Front & Rear Disc Brakes
Front & Rear Posi 3.73 Gears
30 Gallon Stainless Fuel Tank
SOLD 01/18 !!!!!
2007 2500 HD Classic Crew Cab LT2 4X4 Duramax LBZ

70 CST 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
Pont

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys. I went to a local parts store first looking for a universal 30a relay. All they had were stock replacement horn and headlight relays. I really didn't want to try and figure out the wiring schematics for one of those relays so I skipped that idea. I then went to a local muffler shop that also installs hitches. I asked what they used for my problem and he said they just run an inline diode. He sold me one for $2. I brought it home, wired it up and it works perfect. I installed it to a key hot and it won't let power back through the diode.

Thanks again guys, I really wasn't looking forward to the toggle switch idea or having to unplug the trailer everytime park or shut the truck off.

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

Old 06-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #7
70 CST 4X4
Have A Nice Day!

That sounds like the easiest solution yet. Like the price too. Glad it worked out.
Front & Rear Disc Brakes
Front & Rear Posi 3.73 Gears
30 Gallon Stainless Fuel Tank
SOLD 01/18 !!!!!
2007 2500 HD Classic Crew Cab LT2 4X4 Duramax LBZ

70 CST 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:08 PM   #8
69sixpackbee

Hey, Pont...kinda off topic but do you know where Dutcher Creek Rd. is there in Grants Pass? I used to have an aunt and uncle who lived on that road....last time I was there is when I was 16 (30 years ago) and it was pretty nice. I can remember seeing lots of signs pointing out the "Umpqua" river, north, south.etc.etc!
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:48 AM   #9
Pont

Six Pack, I do know where Dutcher Creek road is. It's about 3 miles North of Grants Pass near an even smaller town called Merlin, OR. As far as the North and South Umpqua River, it's even further North of Grants Pass, about 30 minutes away, half way between here and Roseburg, OR. The name of the river that runs through Grants Pass is called the Rogue River. Both rivers have a good run of steelhead and decent runs of salmon. It's changed alot since you've been here 30 years ago, you should make another trip up this way.

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner