The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2023, 05:47 PM   #1
COLEFORBUS

Steering and brakes help

I finally made time to get out there and revive my blazer project. It’s a 71 4x4 jimmy. After new fuel pump, carburetor, rotor cap, wires, and plugs she starts up and moves! I noticed a lot of play in the steering wheel, steering gear is relatively new. You can turn the wheel almost a half rotation before it corrects. Also noticed the disc brakes were definitely not functioning safely to where it could pass inspection or be road worthy. So I ordered new tie rods, ball joints, drag links, adjusting sleeve, pitman arms, and steering stabilizer.

Questions are - what additional parts do I need before I get started? Are there any steps or helpful hints that come with experience that will make everything go smoothly?

Also same for the brakes. I’ve got new calipers, rotors, pads. What other parts should I go ahead and have on hand? Any helpful tips? My day job is in medical devices, so everything I do to this truck is a new learning experience for me. But
It sure is fun
COLEFORBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 10:51 AM   #2
Toro

Re: Steering and brakes help

It seems no matter how much I try to anticipate, I always end up needing something else I didn't intend to or think of once I get started. For example, I just finished the brakes on my 72 Blazer which started off with just replacing the rubber lines on front and rear. That quickly led to replacing steel lines too.., new steel lines from front right and left going to brass T (original front steel line from prop valve to T was fine) and new steel lines from the rear rubber hose junction to rear left and right. The rear steel line from prop valve to bracket above rear axle was fine. There is also a in-line union in the rear steel line right above the front right axle against the frame rail. So if one side of those lines is okay, you could replace one side or the other (or both). All that to say, after that work I thought it was all good, but still had issues, and ultimately ended up needing a new master cylinder too.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote