The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
robs71

Hotrod/shop truck budget in dash tach info

Thought I would pass this along..Personally I like our trucks as they came from the factory............but throwing caution to the wind we are putting together a shop truck/weekend 1/4 pounder..Keeping to a budget build I wanted a tach that I could see straight on with a large face(so I can see numbers) ,not looking down at my knee with an under dash mount.Our columns can be a bit of a problem with large pedestal types...so I went with a Summit 5" part# SUM-G2974...131.99.Fits nice in the cluster just have to be carful when cutting clear gauge face.I drilled multiple holes then used an old hot knife.Tach features a memory recall on your last max rpm and adjustable external shift light.Had in about 6 months with no issues.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
rsavage

Re: Hotrod/shop truck budget in dash tach info

Looks like a clean install.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
robs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
Looks like a clean install.
Thanks..It fit perfect which happens rarely when mixing aftermarket..
Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Thanks for sharing. I want to know more about the truck! While I'm like everyone else getting all caught up in wanting all the cool factory options first offered on pickups, I also am into hot rodding the way we did it in this era and we weren't worried about keeping anything original. When they're new you want to change them. When they get old you want to change them back. The big thing back then was a column mount, up on dash, and out on the cowl became popular. Nothing screams hi-performance in the interior like a tach stuck somewhere you can see it from outside (other than a Hurst 4spd shifter). But even stuffing an "accurate" high quality tach in the center hole says it's about performance. My K2500 had a Suntune mounted right there and it fit right in. I liked it as being a thing a guy would have done along the way, same as the other period accessories. I changed interior color, though, and put a tach dash in.

I'm seriously considering NOT running a tach dash in my '67 project and going with a chrome cupped Sun tach on the column just for the period effect

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote