The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
Clavo106

Separateing Bed Panels for Paint BACK SIDE?

Looking on how to paint the back side of my bed panels. I was thinking separating the bed panels in pieces then taking them to bare metal then bondo,, epoxy then arming the bed back together. now I dont no when or what time I need to apply the seam sealer . and another problem is welding the spot weld on the tailgait support.dont know if i could cut the new epoxy and weld with out desroying the new epoxy .. dont if theres more spot welds on the bed.. and not shure if the steps im taking or right. any help would work. I just would like to see the back panels painted when im underneath the truck.
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
70LonghornCST

Re: Separateing Bed Panels for Paint BACK SIDE?

Hi there! Here's a link with what you might be looking for. LINK

Have fun with your project!
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
hugger6933

Now are you talking about splitting the inner skin from the outer? I have done several that way and have a pair right now that is split and just bolted together [to keep from messing them up ]and sitting out behind my shop right now. Now if you haven't done something of this magnitude, I would tell you to think twice. It is a pretty labor intensive and I have been doing this type work for 30 years [close to it] and I would put it high up on the difficulty meter.
But if your gonna do it get 2 drills one with a double ended 1/8 inch bit and the second with a step bit. [2 drill keep you from changing back and forth]Now there is gonna be somewhere around 100 to 150 spot welds and when you start to split the sides you always find that you have missed some or drilled off to the side of the center and you have [hangers is what I call them] that may have been drilled but off to the side and those cause trouble.
Now after you get them split, prime all but the mating surfaces and then coat them with weld through primer on the mating surface plus the three or so inches past that area. The weld through can and will hold down the corrosion and won't get burned.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #4
Clavo106

Thank you both for the knowledge..
Clavo106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
hugger6933

The two that were posted are quite different the other one is talking about taking the bedside off of the truck. Mine is concerning splitting the bedside into two pieces, that is what i gathered you were wanting to know more about. So witch one is it? Also in my post did I mention that there are over 100 spot welds that have to be cut out? That is where the step drill bit comes into play after using the 1/8 inch one take the step bit drill out and count either 5 or 6 notches[you will feel each one] then the spot weld will be gone if you were dead center on the drilling.
Now I didn't answer about the seem sealer, it goes on after the primer before paint. Glove up when you apply it then have a cup of water or lacquer thinner on hand to dip a finger in then use that to shape the sealer IF it doesn't look right right out of the tube. A wet finger can make the sealer look like it was tooled in.
Also the extra wide strip of weld through is for the heat when it walks outward from the mating surfaces as you weld your panel back together. I hope that clears up my post if not let me know and I'll try to simplify. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote