The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2017, 04:22 PM   #1801
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNY View Post
I think its 2nd series, year 1955, made in Los Angeles, #19063 out of LA that year (20063-1000?)

http://53truck.ez15loan.com/howto/vin.htm
Thanks Dave! I should know the answer but is there somewhere on the tags a code for its factory color? Or was this still too early for that?

PS: I went back and looked at the VIN and it looks like its the 20,063rd truck built. That's a LOT of damn trucks built. No wonder they are still all over the place. Also, I assume that's its number from the LA plant, right? They didn't keep running track of them coming out of each factory - no computers to tie the factories together in those days!

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-08-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #1802
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
Don't think you'll need to spray the inside of the cab if your plan on laying down a sound deadner.

You mean, "If-a-little's-good-a-lot-is-better" doesnt apply here?! Lol.

Yeah, I didn't know if there was anything to be gained from using it. Maybe a little less heat soak coming into the cab?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #1803
MBrown

Thanks for the info!! Hoping to set engine and trans this weekend. It appears to have plenty of room.
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
Mark

On my 5.3 the factory air compressor fits in my NoLimit Wide Ride IFS crossmember and the Sanderson headers fit just right.

Since I got my NoLimit IFS they changed the cross member and it has even more room for the comp.
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:33 AM   #1804
DaveNY

In the top of that link it says: "The second section, all numeric, is the plant production number, with the first truck built at a given plant receiving the number 001001."

So I assume it was #020063 minus 1000 to come out of LA that year.

Might be too early for paint, My '59 has a tag on the front driver pillar with a specific "Paint" line item, 704A is Sherwood Green.

I think the color you chose looks great! Truck is really coming together nicely!
Attached Images

DaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM   #1805
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks guys.

For some reason when the frame and misc components were sent for blasting/powdercoating the transmission crossmember was missed. It's being done now. When it comes back the drivetrain will be finalized, a driveshaft measured/ordered, the fuel lines reconnected and the brake lines bents and mounted along with master cylinder.
Dan,
That color is fantastic and never being sanded yet? Wow, it's beautiful.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #1806
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks so much. I'm really happy with my choice so far.

I'll check in at both shops today or tomorrow. Nothing had been done on the chassis as of Tuesday. Hopefully some progress has been made by now.

In the body shop I expect the underhood and possibly the miscellaneous interior parts I dropped off the other day have been sprayed in color too.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 PM   #1807
Dan in Pasadena

Thursday, March 9, 2017

No invoice this week (Good!) so no progress (Bad!) but the trans crossmember is finally back from powder coating today.

I thought you guys might like to see some of the other cars/trucks in the shop. Mike JUST got in this '58 short Fleetside. Apparently the owner has had bad luck with shops. It's been under construction over 5 years(!) and still isn't complete. Mike is to fully complete it so the owner can drive it home. Needs mostly interior reassembly and wiring, debugging. It's a conventional small block and four speed manual:

Mike liked the backpacking on the rims and wanted me to see them. 245/45x17 in front and 275/40x18 in the rear. Coddington Junkyard Dog rims, I think. Personally, I prefer the same diameter rim front & rear.

Originally, I wanted to use my 15" Torq Thrust wannabe's - they can't fit over the calipers.
16's do but there's no selection in 16's anymore.
So on to 17's, BUT the rims I want come in 7's & 8's only & low profile tires don't give enough height a decent RPM at 70 MPH. I want to be in the low 2000's at 70 with 3.73 ratio when I drive up to see my granddaughter (220 miles).

So I MAY have to consider 18's (ugh).
I can get rear rims in 9's & 10.5's making my tire height over 28".
I like more sidewall on older vehicles. I'd use 275 or 295/40's. I'd prefer 50's but only seem to come in winter tires or SUV/Crossover tires.

Anyway:

I think the lip on these is a bit too deep. Younger guys can't get a wide enough lip. Gotta know when to "lift the brush" - and I may well have (far?) exceeded that already! Ha ha

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-09-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #1808
Dan in Pasadena

Other cars currently is the shop (this is NOT all of them). There's a Mucielago (sp?) in there too.

1966('67?) SS396 Chevelle. Probably a clone but I didn't ask and don't care. Still a great car:

A non-frame off rodstoration '61 or '62 bubbletop with an LS:

Same early Mustang fastback has been there awhile. I'm not a Ford guy and wouldn't choosethese rims for it, BUT admit I like early Mustangs. This one is immaculate up close:

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-09-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:02 PM   #1809
Dan in Pasadena

A couple complimentary photos because i like them!

I think the olive interior with rich cream exterior is very attractive. I'd look for the Fleetside spear chrome for it too.

This chrome bead lock AND deluxe cab trim doesnt look as overdone as i tend to think it would. Maybe its because it jazzes up the white body, i don't know.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 PM   #1810
Flysocal

Speaking of lifting the brush, go with 18s! They are the sweet spot imo. I believe the wheels on the fleetside are Boyd coddington "smoothies". I would seriously consider hitting up Chris Coddington for a genuine set. Just down street...
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #1811
Dan in Pasadena

Who is "just down the street"? Chris Coddington? I wasn't aware.

I don't think I want these rims. I actually kind of like them but not sure they're right for me. My real taste is the old fashioned gray spoke, machine lip 15" original Torq Thrusts. Since I cant use them I'm tending toward the next closest thing which for me is 17" Coy C5's with gray spokes. But if i were going to higher dollar rims they'd probably be Billet Specialties Legacy 2's.

As for 18" versus 17" tires there is just more selection in 18's (by far) and in general they're cheaper too. I assume because they sell more of them. I guess I'd be ok with 17x8's in the rear but I'd like 9's or 10.5's but to get those I have to use 18's or POSSIBLY get Coys to custom make wider ones, but again the availability of wide enough tires becomes an issue.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:34 PM   #1812
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flysocal View Post
...I believe the wheels on the fleetside are Boyd Coddington "Smoothies"....

Here's the comparison. The Fleetside has the Junkyard Dogs....i like them. I think I like the Smoothies a bit better though.

Old 03-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #1813
Advanced Design

Wheel selection is challenging....back when we had fewer choices...sure I will take the Cragar SS. Not many others available then.

Those wheels look very good.

Nice looking projects in the shop too. Appreciate the share.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #1814
ptc

Hey Dan, can I ask a big favor? If your guy there at the shop painted that bubble top, can you ask him what that color code is for the white? been looking for something specific and seen on a vehicle instead of a color chip. Thanks for the share!

appreciate it.

paul
Old 03-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #1815
Dan in Pasadena

Paul,
Sure I'll ask. I truly don't know if Mike's paint shop sprayed it or not. He used to use Marcos, the guy doing my truck til he established his own shop. Still uses him occasionally if he gets overbooked or behind.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #1816
Dan in Pasadena

Paul,
Color is original 1961 Ermine White, 886-93774-L. Mike's shop did not paint it.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #1817
ptc

Quote:
Paul,
Color is original 1961 Ermine White, 886-93774-L. Mike's shop did not paint it.
Awesome Dan Thank You -
Old 03-13-2017, 11:23 PM   #1818
murd969

Your build is coming along nice. It's looking good.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:52 PM   #1819
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Here's a link to a tire size calculator, you can put in different sizes to compare diameter and sidewall heights and it will also show which brand makes them!!

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #1820
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks very much JJ, super helpful!

I've been hand calculating diameters and then manually looking up tire sizes on Tirerack - tedious, slow and many times there wasn't a size made that I'm searching for.

Are the tires referenced on this site current?

PS: What do most guys use as a "rule of thumb" on max tire width on a given rim width? For example, an 8" wide rim converts to 201.6mm wide(25.2mm per inch). I assume I would use a tire that is approximately 1" wider than the rim, so 225mm though I know I can go somewhat larger. The question is how much larger?

I don't think I'd be too worried about going up to say 245 or even 255, but that's just a guess. I don't want ridiculously pinched sidewalls. I don't think my front rims/tires will be too much a concern. But the rears may. I'm considering a 9" rim and possibly larger.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-14-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 PM   #1821
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

A 245 will easily fit on a 8''rim. I have 235 on my front wheels which are 8".

Some tire sites state the min and max rim width per tire size.

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #1822
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks JJ. Yeah, I know the 245's will fit fine on an 8".

I'll most likely use 7's in front but 8's are a possibility. It's the rears I'm having trouble deciding on. I can get 9.5's if I wait 60 days - and I have the time.

9.5's would make the rim just under 240mm wide. So I could use 275's, possibly even 295's but I have to wait til the bed is installed before measuring to see if I have room. I don't want ANY rubbing, no fender rolling, no crawling over speed bumps or entering driveways diagonally. I'm too old for that BS.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 PM   #1823
Rods57

Quote:
Here's the comparison. The Fleetside has the Junkyard Dogs....i like them. I think I like the Smoothies a bit better though.

these are both really cool but i would agree with you the smoothies are an older look to me, fits the truck better. Just me though.
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #1824
Dan in Pasadena

Wednesday, March 15, 2017

No photos, just an update for my "Log."

Stopped by the bodyshop. The exterior of the cab, front fenders & hood will be sprayed this week according to Marcos - we'll see. Another week to dry, sand & the last three clear coats sprayed, etc.

The front fenders were guide coated, one had been final blocked prior to color. I'm glad I got to see this. I'd forgotten to ask about seam sealer so he showed me the whole interior of the cab had been sealed and another sealer used in the rain gutters.

At Mike's shop the master cylinder & trans crossmember had been mounted. He's reconnecting the fuel lines and bending/mounting the brake lines this week. We also discussed him fabbing the exhaust up to the rear axle. He'll wait to finalize it once the bed is done and mounted.

He and Marcos will coordinate directly to deliver the cab/front fenders to be mounted & doors & hood gapped so Mike isn't responsible if anything is chipped. I have to get new body mounts. I'll get out to The Car & Truck Shop for those.

That's it for now. It's progress. I'm still pressing for paint completion by April 1 - doesn't quite seem like they'll make it but close. Then the whole thing done by Memorial Day - we'll see!

Old 03-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #1825
Dan in Pasadena

Friday, March 17, 2017

Marcos decided he should have painted the firewall when he painted the cab interior. He went ahead and sprayed it this morning. Said the cab exterior, front fenders and outside of hood will likely get sprayed Monday. I was hoping they'd be done today...but I'm pleased some got done this week.

I keep trying to accurately capture the color. It doesnt photograph well. The Sun makes it look too orange, flash makes it look too bright. But this shot is very close:

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-17-2017 at 07:01 PM.