The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 PM   #251
phillipm

Re: 78 2wd Blazer - LS Swap and more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBay69 View Post
I just read every word and looked at every photo in this thread. Wow. Beautiful. You and your dad are truly talented. Great job.
Appreciate the kind words!! I enjoy sharing our builds and I've learned a lot over the years. Hopefully some of this community can save some time and money by our mistakes over the years. Currently I'm putting a new rocker on my Dad's 71 C/10 so I've been a little quiet on the Blazer. However I've got plans to work on a rear lighting control mod so I can see when I'm putting gear in the back and some other upgrades. Stay tuned!
phillipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #252
buffydores

Got to see this awesome rig in person. These 2wd K5s are so much fun on the road. The 6 speed auto is like magic sauce. Phillip and his father Paul were killer hosts. They have a drool-worthy collection of toys. And as always, Phillip taught me something new...freakin' door striker bushings!!!

Last edited by buffydores; 02-02-2018 at 05:18 AM.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:06 PM   #253
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

This is cool. You didn't get to drive your Blazer over?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #254
phillipm

Such a good time! Really glad you guys popped in for a few. I love sharing knowledge and learning new stuff! I wish I had Buffy's face on video when he closed the doors on the blazer. Hehe Door striker bushings for the win.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 PM   #255
Zook75

such a great thread. thanks for posting. would love to have a 2wd set up like this..
Zook75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #256
LT7A

Very cool build. I appreciated watching you work out all the details.

Last edited by LT7A; 05-17-2018 at 06:49 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:16 PM   #257
OutlawDrifter

phillipm, any updates on the upper door seals? Did they make any difference in wind noise?

I just got back into the K5 world with a 55K original mile 1989 Jimmy. Trying to decide whether to take the gamble on new weatherstripping on the cab, or just try the upper auxiliary door seals. It's tight for the most part, and only seems to make "extra" wind noise with a "crosswind".

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #258
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
phillipm, any updates on the upper door seals? Did they make any difference in wind noise?

I just got back into the K5 world with a 55K original mile 1989 Jimmy. Trying to decide whether to take the gamble on new weatherstripping on the cab, or just try the upper auxiliary door seals. It's tight for the most part, and only seems to make "extra" wind noise with a "crosswind".
I would say they offered a 10% improvement. This was on top of brand new weather stripping in the entire truck. So if your other pieces are not in good condition I don’t think they’ll help all that much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #259
OutlawDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
I would say they offered a 10% improvement. This was on top of brand new weather stripping in the entire truck. So if your other pieces are not in good condition I don’t think they’ll help all that much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Door seals are great, just seems like a crosswind causes the bulk of the issues.

Thank you for replying back!

Old 04-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #260
Naught

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipm View Post
I know I'm slow as I really only get to work about 12 hours a week on the Blazer, but man, installing this trim is taking WAY longer than I expected!!

I also learned that the 2-sided tape that ships with the trim from LMC is absolute junk. Even using adhesion promoter the side pieces were still falling off. I went to Home Depot and grabbed some 3M Extreme Bond tape and so far so good! Worst part is getting the old tape off of the clips on the trim. I've been using a razor blade and adhesive remover to get them off but it's a slow process.

Here is where I'm at after about 5 hours of work so far... I'd say the only thing saving my back is our 4 post lift! Being able to set the truck at a height you can drill and work standing straight up is a life saver!!

How did you know where to but the bottom molding? Do you have the measurements for the location of them?
Naught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #261
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naught View Post
How did you know where to but the bottom molding? Do you have the measurements for the location of them?
I used the hockey stick moulding at the front of the truck to get the distance top to bottom.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #262
BlueJeep

Phillip, I'm wondering if you can give a re-cap on your learnings with the A/C and given the chance to start over, what you'd recommend? Sounds like you would advocate for the Vintage Air from the beginning, what about compressor choice? I'm about to start my 5.3 install in my suburban, and I'm aiming for cool air when done. Besides the interior volume difference between my suburban and your blazer, I've also got the rear air I'd like to include in the mix. Thanks for any advice you can provide after your experimentation.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #263
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Phillip, I'm wondering if you can give a re-cap on your learnings with the A/C and given the chance to start over, what you'd recommend? Sounds like you would advocate for the Vintage Air from the beginning, what about compressor choice? I'm about to start my 5.3 install in my suburban, and I'm aiming for cool air when done. Besides the interior volume difference between my suburban and your blazer, I've also got the rear air I'd like to include in the mix. Thanks for any advice you can provide after your experimentation.
You know I can't say that I put any effort into getting the factory system to work. However yes, looking back I would likely do the same thing and jump straight to a Vintage Air or Restomod Air system. Both are great. I will say that the smaller evaporator and TXV style of the aftermarket systems are not a good match for the later model bigger compressors like the 10s17 and 10s20 that I was trying to use. What would happen is it would work great at idle or low rpm around town, but the second you got on the freeway and I was running closer to 2k-2200 rpm, when the TXV would open the inrush of freon would be so fast that it would cool too quickly and then close again. If you're familiar with home systems it was like having a 5ton unit on a home that needs a 2ton. So the air would be ice cold but then the compressor would turn off and effectively not cool the truck. Now, it took me almost 2 years of research and trial and error to fully figure that all out. Now I have a 709 compressor and it works great. I say all of that because, with you having a rear air system as well that will help but I still fear that the main system will not work properly if you have everything on low as that's when the problem got real bad. Additionally, I can say that with the factory 78 orifice tube system I didn't have any issues and I think that's because of the style of metering. Late model trucks also use orifice tube and I think that's what that factory compressor is better matched to.

Side note, I'm building a rear air system that will sit within my center console. I don't have much to share at the moment and I've been working slowly on it for a few years now but maybe I'll actually finish it this year and can share that too.

Hopefully that answers your questions. Let me know if it doesn't.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #264
BlueJeep

Thank you!!

Will the addition of your rear air materially change your compressor requirements, do you know? What is the unit out of? I wondered if I should explore one out of a newer suburban or tahoe, vs. the original unit.

Sounds like I should abandon my hopes of running the LS compressor before I start, that's helpful to know now. I have a 10SE18F compressor, which I've been able to find zero information on the internet for.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 03-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #265
phillipm

Quote:
Thank you!!

Will the addition of your rear air materially change your compressor requirements, do you know? What is the unit out of? I wondered if I should explore one out of a newer suburban or tahoe, vs. the original unit.

Sounds like I should abandon my hopes of running the LS compressor before I start, that's helpful to know now. I have a 10SE18F compressor, which I've been able to find zero information on the internet for.
I've spent some time talking with Rick Love from Vintage air and he said that no, the 709 should be capable of handling the second evaporator as well. I have the same one in my OBS Tahoe which has much larger evaporators so I can confirm he's right. The bigger thing is getting a condenser that can get rid of the heat. So I'm upgrading that too at the same time. I don't know anything about that compressor but I'd assume it's an update to the two that I listed. You could use it if you're going to use the factory front system (as long as it's not a variable compressor) but if going VA or RM on the system go ahead and put in a 709. Do not use a 508, it will be too small as I tested that one as well. Wouldn't cool the truck at an idle. Too much of a heat load. I have 508's in all of my muscle cars and it works great there. End of the day it's just about sizing everything to match and work with the truck. Much like home HVAC systems. As for a newer unit out of a Tahoe or suburban, I'm sure it could be made to work but IMO wouldn't be worth the effort. Just refurb the stock rear unit and run it. Anything it can do to help cool the Sub will be great.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #266
BlueJeep

Sounds good! Looking into universal condensers, but I plan to run the largest one I can come up with. I'm also not above completely remaking the core support to allow something larger if needs be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Univers...wAAOSwQKdchroG

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 03-11-2021, 04:30 PM   #267
phillipm

Quote:
Sounds good! Looking into universal condensers, but I plan to run the largest one I can come up with. I'm also not above completely remaking the core support to allow something larger if needs be.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-Univers...wAAOSwQKdchroG
Just run this then. It's a true 1" thick core. Don't be fooled by many MFG's who claim 1" thick. Including RestoMod. They're are only 3/4" and the tanks are 1". (I've bought from them before).

https://www.vintageair.com/accessori...er%20SuperFlow
Old 03-11-2021, 04:33 PM   #268
BlueJeep

Will do! Are you running the 709 in the low mount position? Or did you have to move it up on the passenger side?

And I'll stop polluting your build thread with my questions, but your retrospectives have been extremely valuable to me as I'm sure it has been for others too. Thanks again!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
Old 03-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #269
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

phillip,
I just happen to check out the blazer/sub builds on here and came across your build. you guys (you & dad) are very talented purposeful builders . It is nice to see another local builder. I am currently building a C10 (build thread on here). I am learning alot (1st time LS build) . I am struggling with the electrical...LOL!!. Please feel free to take a look at my thread & give me some pointers....
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #270
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

phillip, I went to good guys, but I forgot to look for you... sorry I didn't - aarrggg. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was surprised by the lack of vendors though. my friend (who had never been to a show before) really enjoyed it & is now hooked!..LOL How is the blazer doing now with a few miles under it's belt?
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:45 AM   #271
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
phillip, I went to good guys, but I forgot to look for you... sorry I didn't - aarrggg. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was surprised by the lack of vendors though. my friend (who had never been to a show before) really enjoyed it & is now hooked!..LOL How is the blazer doing now with a few miles under it's belt?
No worries. Yeah the Rona had a lot of vendors staying home, that's for sure. If your friend liked that show, he'll really like the fall one. Blazer is doing well. Just got it back together after rebuilding the 6L90e and adding a 1-off, rear AC system. Ready for summer now!
Old 05-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #272
phillipm

Thought I'd take a moment to highlight a new upgrade. We started in 2019 planning out a rear a/c system for the blazer after my infant son was sweating beads and very unhappy in the back seat! Well, it took some time but it's now all in the truck and working. System is a Socoro and is plumbed in parallel with the front Vintage Air system. It's running a refrigerant solenoid for freeze protection on the rear and has it's own drier per V/As recommendation. I had to do a little trimming to the inside of my console but as you can see, my console was no show piece before with the bottom broken as it was. I'm running a Sanden sd7H15 compressor, a 16x26" condenser and dual CTS-V GM fans. Here are some pictures. I don't have any final photos with the wires all wrapped and cleaned up but you get the idea. Haha So far it's blowing high 40*s out of the rear and makes it much more comfortable in the back seat.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #273
OutlawDrifter

Very cool idea! How is it for noise when running the unit?

Old 05-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #274
phillipm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
Very cool idea! How is it for noise when running the unit?
This unit is 2 speed. On low it's barely audible over the front a/c on medium or higher with the radio on. On high, it's a little louder but not obnoxious IMO. Again, going down the road with wind noise, front a/c, radio, and everything.. still not really adding much noise. But, I think all of that is personal preference. I'm used to my OBS Tahoe rear air and this is not as loud as that is.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #275
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Very cool upgrade! (pun intended)

For that blower, where is it getting its intake air from outside the console? Is there openings that can't be seen after its all installed?

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote