The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
Rich69shortfleet

Need help with dash lights

I was in the process of putting LED bulbs in my instrument cluster and in the end found out I have no power to the instrument lights at all. Before I started this process I had all panel lights with no problems. I have the cluster out and the circuit sheet is fine. All the instruments work fine. The dash lights in the heater controls is also out.

The headlight switch appears to be okay. Through my testing I found that when the headlight switch is off the PNL LTS fuse is not powered. When the headlight switch is on the PNL LTS fuse is powered. However, when trying a test light between the grey No. 8 wire in the cluster feed plug and ground I get nothing when the headlight switch is on. The ground to the harness is fine and I get continuity between the body and the ground wire in the cluster harness plug.

HOWEVER, the part that has me baffled is this. When I try to check continuity from the PNL LTS fuse to the No. 8/grey wire terminal on the cluster plug I get nothing whether the headlight switch is on or off. Okay, this seems to point to the grey wire somewhere between the fuse panel and the cluster plug. HOWEVER, I do have continuity between the No. 8/grey wire terminal in the cluster plug and ground. Okay, so the grey wire is grounding somewhere, but if so, why isn't the fuse blowing?

There has to be something else going on here that I'm not getting. The wiring is all very solid and has never caused any issues. All I was doing was changing a few bulbs and now an entire wiring circuit is fubar? I'm missing something obvious I think.
Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote