The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2018, 12:47 AM   #76
raylube

Re: 66 k20

Looking good so far. Keep us posted with lots of photos. What size of tires are on it and how tall does it sit at fender opening and rockers. Just trying to compare to mine. Also more info on winch please.
Attached Images

raylube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:07 PM   #77
jdl71

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylube View Post
Looking good so far. Keep us posted with lots of photos. What size of tires are on it and how tall does it sit at fender opening and rockers. Just trying to compare to mine. Also more info on winch please.
LT235/85R16. 35" to center of rear wheel well, 19" center of rocker and 37" center of front wheel well. Winch is Braden LU-2. Does work with lever in cab but the I believe the brake, clutch whatever it is on front is frozen, the lever on the winch itself does not move. Haven't spent a bunch of time on it yet.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:14 PM   #78
jdl71

Still fighting brakes. All 4 wheels have new shoes, as much new hardware as I could get and new drums on the rear. I've replaced every inch of steel line, all 4 wheel cylinders, and all 3 hoses. There are still about 3 or 4 connections I can't get to stop leaking. I cut and flared all my own lines so it looks like I'm going to have to redo a few fittings. I'm not liking the way the front hoses came out with the various unions and reducers but it's my only option right now. I had to order parking brake cables for a 75 or so 3/4 ton which are much shorter so I need to make something for each side to get from there to the frame lever as well as some way to adjust them. If this ever gets sorted out, next on my list is plug wires (HEI with rams horn manifolds, ugh!) and addressing the leaking valve cover gaskets.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 12-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #79
FLATFENDER54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
Still fighting brakes. All 4 wheels have new shoes, as much new hardware as I could get and new drums on the rear. I've replaced every inch of steel line, all 4 wheel cylinders, and all 3 hoses. There are still about 3 or 4 connections I can't get to stop leaking. I cut and flared all my own lines so it looks like I'm going to have to redo a few fittings. I'm not liking the way the front hoses came out with the various unions and reducers but it's my only option right now. I had to order parking brake cables for a 75 or so 3/4 ton which are much shorter so I need to make something for each side to get from there to the frame lever as well as some way to adjust them. If this ever gets sorted out, next on my list is plug wires (HEI with rams horn manifolds, ugh!) and addressing the leaking valve cover gaskets.

Maybe try loosening and re-tightening each flared fitting several times. Its pretty common for leaks to occur if they are only tightened down once.
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #80
Short 3/4

Quote:
I had same problem finding park brake cables. Sent away for custom made from a company in S Cal, called 'Control Cables' I think ( can look up for you if needed ). I sent what was left of originals to them to show what ends were needed, along with lengths I wanted, and they were able to make new ones with all new ends. They were very helpful.
Good luck,
Tom
NoSpin HO72 rear 4.10
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #81
jdl71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short 3/4 View Post
I had same problem finding park brake cables. Sent away for custom made from a company in S Cal, called 'Control Cables' I think ( can look up for you if needed ). I sent what was left of originals to them to show what ends were needed, along with lengths I wanted, and they were able to make new ones with all new ends. They were very helpful.
Good luck,
Tom
I might take you up on that if I can't make these work. I've got new cables on the wheel end but need something to get from there to the middle with some way to adjust. If I ever get this somewhat driveable I'm going to take it to town to my local tire shop and see if my brake guy can cobble something together for me on the e brake.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 12-14-2018, 07:32 PM   #82
Short 3/4

Quote:
I might take you up on that if I can't make these work. I've got new cables on the wheel end but need something to get from there to the middle with some way to adjust. If I ever get this somewhat driveable I'm going to take it to town to my local tire shop and see if my brake guy can cobble something together for me on the e brake.
Ya,
let me know. If you have a large city nearby you might be able to get something done in person. As you have probably figured out the 4wd system is totally different from 2wd . Not sure what parts you still have on the truck, but if all your missing is cables and adjusters you should be able to get it back to factory style. guys I worked with were very helpful and built exactly what I wanted from drawings and measurements.
NoSpin HO72 rear 4.10
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote