The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Should the driving age be 18?
No, leave it as it is. 33 71.74%
Yes, things have changed. 13 28.26%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #76
The Rocknrod

Re: Should the driving age be 18?

I saw an old black and white Abraham Lincoln movie where there was a old man standing on a stump wearing an old tri fold hat telling everyone how the country has gone to seed and we’re all going to damnation. I often think about that scene when wondering if we will ever make it. Every generation says the same thing. Granted there are some dumb a$$’s in this new generation, but there are some hard chargers as well. The cream will rise to the top and the world will keep going.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #77
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Should the driving age be 18?

Why is this even a question? I ask this as to say no leave it as it is and has been.

We had distractions back at 15-16 years old as well just different kinds, as in beer, girls which this may still be true, smoking, drag racing what ever it's not changed only the distractions have. Leave it be.

Oh and by the way foreign countries have never had 15-16 year olds driving that hasn't changed either!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #78
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #79
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Why is this even a question? I ask this as to say no leave it as it is and has been.

We had distractions back at 15-16 years old as well just different kinds, as in beer, girls which this may still be true, smoking, drag racing what ever it's not changed only the distractions have. Leave it be.

Oh and by the way foreign countries have never had 15-16 year olds driving that hasn't changed either!
Threads like this exist so that people can complain about todays youth or millennials are whatever you want to call them. Seems to be the thing to do these days.

Canada has always been Learners at 14 and Drivers at 16. Over the years the gov't has changed a few things and made the probation periods longer and different degrees of graduation as time goes on. This varies from province to province as i'm sure things vary from state to state.

I think that todays young drivers are probably a bit better than they were 25 years ago. At least the smart ones are. Around here there is zero tolerance or second chance for stupidity. I don't remember the specifics but I do recall that that a probationary driver gets half the possible demerit points and zero tolerance for alcohol consumption as well as restrictions on driving after dark.

When we were young, restrictions like this didn't exist. By todays standards I probably would've lost my license in a matter of weeks.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:33 PM   #80
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Threads like this exist so that people can complain about todays youth or millennials are whatever you want to call them. Seems to be the thing to do these days.
I respectfully disagree. I see this thread as a legitimate discussion with differing viewpoints based partly on what each of us currently see & hear about, and partly on our memories of our own experiences. It goes without saying that each of us will not always agree with all the rest of us all of the time. If some members place blame for a problem on young people, well, that is their perception -- there are other members acknowledging the positives of young people. On topic, a look at the poll results indicates a substantial majority is in favor of leaving things as they are, which we might take to mean the kids are alright.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #81
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Should the driving age be 18?

I look at it like the music we liked back in the late 60,70 and 80's. My parents hated our music and did things to distract me and my brothers from listening to it. It didn't work though but nobody ever banned us from listening to it. Same as me and my kids, I don't listen to the rap crap are the other stuff they like but I'm not going to make them not just because I don't like it.
Driving is the same way. Our country will let a 14 year old have a abortion without telling her parents! Why shouldn't they be able to drive at 16.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:19 PM   #82
The Rocknrod

Yes parents complained about their kids from the beginning of time I bet. They just didn't have the internet. I remember vividly a few old men wanting to lynch the long hairs when I was a kid.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:44 PM   #83
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Yes parents complained about their kids from the beginning of time I bet. They just didn't have the internet. I remember vividly a few old men wanting to lynch the long hairs when I was a kid.
I hung with this kid in the 70s. He told me his dad said to him that if he saw me walking on the sidewalk he’d run me over. In my estimation he thought I was a bad influence on his son.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #84
flashed

I work around college age kids everyday doing building maintenance and some of our Football players are required to work with us during the summer .For the most part our kids are great to work with and they do want to be taught what Im doing .Im the campus plumber so I get the dirty jobs but these young men jump in as needed .They all tell me they had no idea how things worked as they never dealt with any thing like it at home .Some have no father figure in their life so its a real learning curve for them .They all want to work with me because I explain what were doing and why were doing it . I only get one per day so I always say whoever gets in my truck first goes . Most all of our students are quite smart and willing to learn if you are willing to take the time to teach them .I love serving MY kids on campus .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #85
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs up Re: Should the driving age be 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
They all want to work with me because I explain what were doing and why were doing it.
That is the best way to learn, having someone willing to explain not just the what, but also the how & the why.
Thank you so much for the way you are helping those kids learn more about their world! It must be very rewarding & gratifying for you.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #86
Coley

Speaking of learning to drive....lol...here is a good local story

My wife contracts this young guy (who just turned 30 yrs old) to do gardening maintenance for her around town....the only issue is that she or I have to drive him to and from every work site with the basic tools....guess why.
I was the one who hired him off a simple ad for a days work but we kept him on due initially to convenience....not knowing his backstory, at least until recently.
At any rate, 30 yrs old.....no drivers license, lol.....clucks about the environment, climate change.... but more than happy for us to drive him around burning fuel, lol.
"it was not a priority and I don't want to harm the planet" he said....another boy/man happily being driven around the neighborhood by his mom.

This isn't going to help him much this coming year....as I have started to look for an 20-25 yr old adult with a drivers license....go figure.

Whoever put it in his mind that this line of thinking in the modern world, certainly in a geographically challenged country like Canada ....made a mistake. You can get bike with a bike in Holland or Switzerland..but not Canada.

He is a not a bad kid (guy? man? kid?) but at 30 years old, he is way behind where he should be, but I get a feeling that this is more average these days than meets the eye.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #87
special-K
Special Order

Why doesn't he ride the bike to work? Yeah, most people who would complain about any resources waste or pollution I create live in urban or suburban areas where they are 100% dependent on the infrastructure they oppose. I care about these things, too, but have a realistic and functional way of doing the best I can out here where we bottle our own spring water.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote