The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Should the driving age be 18?
No, leave it as it is. 33 71.74%
Yes, things have changed. 13 28.26%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Gregski
Post Whore

Should the driving age be 18?

So I got my driver's license over 30 years ago when I was like 15 1/2 and one day, lol but things were different in the late 80's

So given all the distractions these days, texting primarily do you think kids should be permitted to get their driver's license at 16? Are they mature enuff to be behind the wheel these days?

I did a bit of research and the US may be the only country that allows this, the rest of the world is 18, now I know what you may say well forget the rest of the world, but I am just being factual and providing data.

I personally believe this is money driver as the evil insurance companies make a killing on insuring teenagers, just ask any of the parents, hee hee.

So in a civil way, what say you?
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
Coley

Wink Re: Should the driving age be 18?

I say leave it at 16 years old....these kids/teens need something to eventually hope for in terms of them ever so slowly advancing into adulthood...they don't need any more infantilization I think.

That said, in Canada you can start driving at 16 and we have a 'graduated' licensing system for teens wherein you start with an 'L' designation (ie: Learners), they you move up to a 'N' designation...meaning 'New) driver or something like that after a year.
You have to display that L (and then N) clearly on the back of the vehicle.

When you are an 'L' level you have to a have a mature (+25) year old driver with you in the front seat while driving.
Absolutely ZERO tolerance for alcohol, drugs, electronic devices, etc....zero.
You are allowed 1 more passenger in the back and only allowed to be behind the wheel during daylight hours.

When you are an 'N' level you have had 1 years practice and start to move up.
Now, you can have 1 passenger with you...need not be family or 25+.
Again ZERO tolerance for alcohol or electronic devices....zero.

As for evident delayed maturity in young people....that is a 4 hour conversation as to how kids and teens have been let down by their parents these days and deprived of achieving personal responsibility, freedom, etc.
Instead substitutions like buying/facilitating electronic devices, keeping them indoors and close and heavily over managed...all are continuing to de-rail these poor kids on a daily basis.

Hopefully the thing that will turn a corner will be parenting....the kids will be ok if this occurs but in the meantime don't expect them to be responsible and mature.....the parents have unfortunately taken that opportunity from them in my opinion.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Should the driving age be 18?

I never felt that age was a defining characteristic of driving. I think the balance of what exists is probably the best overall.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Until they turn 21, letem chose one or the other..license or cell phone....you can have only one...but that's not just teens....adults to

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Until they turn 21, letem chose one or the other..license or cell phone....you can have only one...but that's not just teens....adults to
a higher up in my company was late to an early morning meeting once and started to apologize how he had to turn around and drive home because his eight year old daughter forgot her iphone and could not go to school without it, and this man was over 450 people in our division, LOL
Old 11-17-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
Indian113

I was 14 and we were bailing Hay Dad sent me to town in our pickup to get the parts from the dealer. Of Course this was in 1963! I had been driving tractors and pickups for 3 years by then.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Killer Bee

I was also driving at 14-15, and other equipment around the farm as early as I was able to reach the controls..

but common sense is not only not so common these days, it's nearly non-existent..

there isn't a safe age water line for almost anything, 20-30 year olds behaving worse than 10 year olds of my generation..

I'm deeply concerned for my children's future in this country, we're facing 10x the difficulty our parents did..

sometimes it seems like our kids are the only ones in the room, building, etc. that have any sense of manners or respect..

so make it 16, 18, 21, hell make it 35.. won't make any difference in the end until parents start parenting..
Old 11-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I never felt that age was a defining characteristic of driving. I think the balance of what exists is probably the best overall.
I agree.
I’ve noticed lately most young guys care more about video games and their phones than driving.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #9
Coley

Wink Re: Should the driving age be 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
a higher up in my company was late to an early morning meeting once and started to apologize how he had to turn around and drive home because his eight year old daughter forgot her iphone and could not go to school without it, and this man was over 450 people in our division, LOL
As incredibly weird and unacceptable as that sounds....that is incredibly common these days....and probably applicable to 80% of parents and parenting.
Don't blame the kids or his daughter tho'...she doesn't own that.
That is (unfortunately) a parenting download.

Very interesting days we live in.

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 11-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Oh yeah...video games...at work there are 3-4 guys that are ate up with video games...that's all they talk about...every day at break they're on the phone playing something...and these guys are in their late 30s early 40s.......of course they may think the same about me and my trucks...but at least I've got grownup toys....haha

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #11
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I don't think that bad habits and / or inattention will improve much from age 16 to age 18 (or 21 & beyond for that matter). In many cases the trend will likely be in the wrong direction and they'll get worse with the passage of time. With that in mind, leave it at 16 but for cryin out loud, can't someone please teach new drivers about personal responsibility. Teach 'em something about car control also. Too expensive you say? What's the cost of clueless drivers and their carnage, both sheetmetal and skin & bone?

Not sure how the German licensing system works but I understand they take their driving very seriously, and the penalties for stupid mistakes can be quite severe.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
Grumpy old man

They should make it 26 ! if they can't leave home or pay for their own health insurance why should they have a car or anything else ?

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #13
Gregski
Post Whore

Smile Re: Should the driving age be 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
They should make it 26 ! if they can't leave home or pay for their own health insurance why should they have a car or anything else ?
LOL, please make sure to vote!
Old 11-17-2018, 06:18 PM   #14
Grumpy old man

Quote:
LOL, please make sure to vote!
I always vote ...At least my state knows how to count !

Old 11-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
clay68c10

I say we adopt the German driving school standards. A large number of drivers have never taken drivers ed or any other formal driving training. Ridiculous. You are piloting a 4K pound+ death missile. Just calculate the kinetic energy and it’s pretty scary.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #16
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
No Chads hanging in Tennessee eh?
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Don't let 16 year olds drive because they might text and drive like the adults I see doing it all the time. I've never notice teens doing it. My kids needed to drive to get jobs at 16, just like me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #18
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
I was wondering how long it takes for this to go political, that's why in my opening post I said lets stay civil, ha ha
Old 11-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #19
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
...My kids needed to drive to get jobs at 16, just like me.
That is interesting, I am not trying to be nosey but why did you need to work at 16? and why do your children need to work at 16? Again, I was not born in this country although I grew up there, so I am just wondering why start them so early, my daddy once told me, "son you have the rest of your life to work, so focus on education while you can." probly the only wise thing he ever said to me, ha ha

Last edited by special-K; 11-18-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Sorry, meant to quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:49 PM   #20
Grumpy old man

Families were larger back then and parents didn't just hand out money , you needed money to take your favorite girl on a date to the drive in so that means gas . movie tickets , pop corn and cokes that could cost almost $5.00 ! It was normal to start a family at 20 or even younger , by 18 you would have your own place a serious girlfriend and maybe a kid on the way . none of this stuff we have going on today .

Old 11-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #21
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Families were larger back then and parents didn't just hand out money , you needed money to take your favorite girl on a date to the drive in so that means gas . movie tickets , pop corn and cokes that could cost almost $5.00 ! It was normal to start a family at 20 or even younger , by 18 you would have your own place a serious girlfriend and maybe a kid on the way . none of this stuff we have going on today .
not to argue, but that sounds like "wants" not needs and all for the sake of entertainment, plus yeah it was like that then but times have changed, people don't get married now until into their 30's (thank god) more mature I hope, better established, more educated, etc.

I also give my kids allowance, of course they do house chores to earn it, so I still don't see a need for teenage employment

and yes cars were a way of escape in the 50s and 60s and a way to independence, but now they have the INTERNET, lol, they have YouTube, they order everything on Amazon and it is delivered to their (ok our) door step, so there's really no need for a car

plus I can argue that you can telecommute and work from home

again not arguing just making the opposite case from my own families experience both mine growing up and my kids
Old 11-17-2018, 08:22 PM   #22
65 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Don't let 16 year olds drive because they might text and drive like the adults I see doing it all the time. I've never notice teens doing it. My kids needed to drive to get jobs at 16, just like me.
I drive a large truck for a living, and the number of people I see texting or talking on the phone is insane. I think cell phones should be linked to GPS and automatically disable when in a moving vehicle unless Bluetooth or a handsfree device is in use. But as far as driving at 16, all I will say is I have seen some 16 year olds that are more mature and responsible than some adults.
65 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #23
Grumpy old man

Quote:
not to argue, but that sounds like "wants" not needs and all for the sake of entertainment, plus yeah it was like that then but times have changed, people don't get married now until into their 30's (thank god) more mature I hope, better established, more educated, etc.

I also give my kids allowance, of course they do house chores to earn it, so I still don't see a need for teenage employment

and yes cars were a way of escape in the 50s and 60s and a way to independence, but now they have the INTERNET, lol, they have YouTube, they order everything on Amazon and it is delivered to their (ok our) door step, so there's really no need for a car

plus I can argue that you can telecommute and work from home

again not arguing just making the opposite case from my own families experience both mine growing up and my kids

we had a dial phone with a 3' cord in the kitchen . if your girlfriend lived 10 miles away you needed a car to go anywhere ,There were no buses or even a mall to meet at .

I have to ask , How much allowance does a teenager get today ? Ordering from Amazon ? they have their own credit cards as a teenager ? What are chores considered today ?

Old 11-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #24
Killer Bee

wow!

it's called work ethic and cultivating the responsibility to be self sufficient and earn a living while transitioning into adulthood..

what's an education's purpose again?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #25
Coley

Smile Re: Should the driving age be 18?

Quote:
That is interesting, I am not trying to be nosey but why did you need to work at 16? and why do your children need to work at 16? Again, I was not born in this country although I grew up there, so I am just wondering why start them so early, my daddy once told me, "son you have the rest of your life to work, so focus on education while you can." probly the only wise thing he ever said to me, ha ha
With all due and serious respect, there are very few things today that expedite teens into maturity and adulthood than the advantage of a part time job starting in the mid teens.
Without this they follow in the footprints of the other millennials who often don't end up being employed for the first time until they are in their early-mid 20's....which is a serious recipe for a bad 'come-uppance' in the work place, as many of us who employ young people know.

Believe it not....this is unfortunately increasingly common and is absolutely not helping these young people out in the least.
Inevitably it is a near disaster for these young people who then start the maturity failure cycle based on their lack of responsibility and perspective that the real world is bringing to them.

This is now becoming extremely well documented and I highly recommend anyone interested in this reviewing a relatively recent book (and study) by Dr. Jonathan Haidt called 'The coddling of the American Mind'....or one of the many podcasts regarding this (and Dr. Haidt) on youtube....very interesting watch.

Withholding responsibility and adulthood from teens who are ready for it....is a very bad decision for a great many young people....and for their parents, who are following in the collective parenting group, who have largely been driving parenting off course for many years....albeit unknowingly in many cases.

Again....very interesting stuff in the backstory for those willing to dig a little deeper into it and particularly for those parents who hope their kids start to rise to see success past the age of 30 or 40.

All good
Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500