The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
Project86

81-86 roll cage pictures and questions!

Hey guys I'm back. Been searching the forums for quite awhile and doing some research in planning a 10pt spec cage

Anyone have any pictures of their square cage setup?

Entertaining the idea of ordering a prebent main hoop,
But then again I've watched some awesome videos on YouTube and have a better understanding of how to get your measurements and place your bends in the right areas

I have my outriggers planned out as I'm not Welding mine to plates

I know I do want the cage to get cert at least for 9.50s or so. Granted my current setup isn't that fast. But I would rather do it right the first time. Then to hack everything up and redo it.

Anyone care to post some detailed pictures and possibly some measurements or tips/advice?
Project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Project86

Re: 81-86 roll cage pictures and questions!

bump!

I know someone has to have some advice!
Old 10-11-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
68racer
Yeah baby!

Some useful information here:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=167144

But a lot of rambling stuff too.

Last edited by 68racer; 10-11-2017 at 03:55 AM.
68racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
Project86

thanks for the link! ill thumb through it tonight and see what I can dig up

Ive decided on down bar placement, which will be half through the sheet metal above the window, and half into the window opening itself, allowing my to notch a piece of lexan and slide it up into place.

The main hoop and outriggers are throwing me off.
since there is that hump near the back of the cab on the floor, how exactly would I be able to "add" in the length of tubing to attach to the outrigger?

could we simply measure my angles, bend the main hoop, but keep the "legs" extended.

then hole saw a spot, slide the main hoop in and down, weld the down bars all around, then shove the main hoop back up to figure out where to cut/weld the outriggers to the frame?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:03 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Leave the tubes that go thru the floor long until you know where the outriggers will be. Then trim the tubes to the correct length to sit on top of the outriggers.
Only tack your outriggers in place until you have your entire cage tacked together. Then remove the outriggers and drop the cage down so that you can weld the tops of all the tubes up against the roof. Raise the cage back up and install the outriggers for good, set the cage on them and weld out the rest of the cage.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
Project86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Leave the tubes that go thru the floor long until you know where the outriggers will be. Then trim the tubes to the correct length to sit on top of the outriggers.
Only tack your outriggers in place until you have your entire cage tacked together. Then remove the outriggers and drop the cage down so that you can weld the tops of all the tubes up against the roof. Raise the cage back up and install the outriggers for good, set the cage on them and weld out the rest of the cage.
So do you think a simple hole would allow enough room to slide up the main hoop and still get correct fitment with everything?

I guess it would be easy to get the bends for the main hoop right first, then just leave the legs longer?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
68racer
Yeah baby!

In my 68 I had four bends in the main hoop to follow the roof line better.

Difficult to explain, but instead of two 90 bends, the main bends are not quite 90 and there are two small bends in the top that correct the angles.

This might not apply with a square body.

IMO, most cross bars are too low, tightening the belts then pushes down on your spine. Try to get the cross bar up at shoulder level.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #8
Project86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68racer View Post
In my 68 I had four bends in the main hoop to follow the roof line better.

Difficult to explain, but instead of two 90 bends, the main bends are not quite 90 and there are two small bends in the top that correct the angles.

This might not apply with a square body.

IMO, most cross bars are too low, tightening the belts then pushes down on your spine. Try to get the cross bar up at shoulder level.

That reminds me. I definitely need to get my seat ordered so I can make sure we install the cross bar properly. I may do like wha some have done and make it bend back towards the back of the cab, to allow for a deeper seat position, since I'm 6'3"
Old 10-12-2017, 11:33 PM   #9
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Just bend your main hoop first and leave the legs long. Then you will know the center to center measurement of your legs so you know where to cut the holes in the floor. You will want the holes in the floor a bit bigger than the diameter of the tube you are using. Are you going to use 1.625" or 1.750" tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project86 View Post
So do you think a simple hole would allow enough room to slide up the main hoop and still get correct fitment with everything?

I guess it would be easy to get the bends for the main hoop right first, then just leave the legs longer?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #10
Project86

Old 10-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Actually what I would do is cut holes in your floor about 4.5" so you have plenty of room to weld the tube to the outriggers. Then cover the hole with a 2pc plate with about a 2" hole in it. You could also make that plate in 1pc and just slide it up the tube until you are done welding.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:37 AM   #12
Project86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Actually what I would do is cut holes in your floor about 4.5" so you have plenty of room to weld the tube to the outriggers. Then cover the hole with a 2pc plate with about a 2" hole in it. You could also make that plate in 1pc and just slide it up the tube until you are done welding.
That's what I was thinking. Cut a square out, then just start measuring for my main hoop near the top of the frame rails so I can ensure I have enough room and nothing is lopsided. Then once I get the main hoop bent. Figure out where my downbsrs will attach. Tack them in place. Drop the whole assembly down and then weld the down bars. After everything is tacked drop it down again. Weld all around. Then reweld the floor plates back in and then attach outriggers to main hoop and a pillar bars
Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 PM   #13
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

You're going to want to weld everything, including the main hoop and all other bars going thru the floor to the outriggers before you close up the access holes.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:07 AM   #14
68racer
Yeah baby!

If you intend yo use a HANS device take into account they add about an inch and a half to the height of your shoulders. I discovered this recently!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #15
Project86

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68racer View Post
If you intend yo use a HANS device take into account they add about an inch and a half to the height of your shoulders. I discovered this recently!
Well I live (south MS). W don't have any NHRA sanctioned tracks nearby. And I don't think my truck will ever run 8s. I'm looking for a low 10s truck. But I will take that into consideration whenever we go to place the shoulder bar!