The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
Jered1987

Gm mechanic ?

Hey everyone I'm 25 married having a kid in 5 weeks.
I've worked full time jobs that I was fine with but the money was horrible but
I managed before, well having a child and being married crappy jobs
Aren't going to continue to work.
I went to a local vocational school for a two year auto body certificate
And I have a one year heavy equipment and operation and repair completion certificate.
I know that what I want to do is work on gm vehicles, I'm going to be moving near Atlanta in a couple of months more than likely.
What I want to know is what I need to do to become a gm
Mechanic/ service tech, there are so many rip off courses I want to know what
Gm requires and my best schooling option, I have a ged and I've never been that great with math (algebra all that crap). Thanks ,jered
Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: Gm mechanic ?

Jered,

GM has training available for GM dealership technicians. Find a job with a dealer based on your current abilities and the dealership can set you up for the GM training.

If you desire additional schooling there is the option of GM ASEP.....https://gmasep.org

Good luck with your search and please keep us posted!
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
davischevy

Listen to Advanced Design. He knows GM if any body does.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

this may help some......https://learn.org/articles/Automotiv...rgia_Area.html
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
95 S_Trucker

I've done a few internships at dealerships(1/2 were GM)8-10 years ago. I would not recommend working at a dealership. I have an associates degree in automotive repair(about the same amount of schooling as the asep program). Most dealerships have 1 or 2 techs that get all the good jobs. The rest get the crappy jobs. and most dealerships require you to start at the bottom(lube tech) and work your way up. And it takes a long time to work your way up. And dealerships have a terrible reputation for ripping people off(not saying all of them do).

My recommendation is to find a reputable independent shop and go from there. (stay away from chain stores). Its a lot quicker to move up the ladder in independent shops than dealerships.

This is my story, and I know everybody's story is different

May 2007, graduate HS
May 2009, graduate gollege with associates degree
April 2009-September 2013, worked at 2 reputable independent shops
Nov 2013-present, owning/running my own succesful independent shop.(I'm 28 now)

Somewhere in all that, I got married and started a family.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

If you like GM, you might want to work for Ford, if you work on them every day you may never want to own one again, instead you can go home at night cussing the Fords you worked on that day

The advice above is great and congrats on your own shop!

The only thing I would add is to actually go to a couple dealerships, talk to their service manager about what they want and how their process works

Best of luck and congrats on the little one!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #7
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

There's some great advise here. I used to be fleet manager/tech for a large construction company. The Ford dealership we purchased trucks from sent me to school. I was able to perform our own warranty/ recall work. Long story short I've always called myself a Ford tech/GM guy....lol

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #8
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
I've done a few internships at dealerships(1/2 were GM)8-10 years ago. I would not recommend working at a dealership. I have an associates degree in automotive repair(about the same amount of schooling as the asep program). Most dealerships have 1 or 2 techs that get all the good jobs. The rest get the crappy jobs. and most dealerships require you to start at the bottom(lube tech) and work your way up. And it takes a long time to work your way up. And dealerships have a terrible reputation for ripping people off(not saying all of them do).

My recommendation is to find a reputable independent shop and go from there. (stay away from chain stores). Its a lot quicker to move up the ladder in independent shops than dealerships.

This is my story, and I know everybody's story is different

May 2007, graduate HS
May 2009, graduate gollege with associates degree
April 2009-September 2013, worked at 2 reputable independent shops
Nov 2013-present, owning/running my own succesful independent shop.(I'm 28 now)

Somewhere in all that, I got married and started a family.
thats pretty much how it goes, youre not going to get in a dealership and start making as much as the other guys for many years. you have to find a good independent shop though that pays well. my first indy shop i worked at about 8 years ago paid $12 to start as a full time mechanic. but i was just happy to be in the field and get some experience.

theres gotta be a better place then automobiles to go to now a days that pays more money, maybe heavy equiptment or something along those lines. the locomotive machinists at my job make $31 a hour and barely do any work.

i finally hung up my tools 3 months ago, not so much that i got burned out on cars as much as i got burned out on all the other miserable mechanics i was surrounded by who were doing it for 20+ years and were the most unbearable miserable human beings i have ever met and i didnt want to end up like that
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Personally I wouldn't care what I worked on as long as it paid well and provided insurance to my family.

Don't limit your options. I would work on Hyundai's if it provided me with a chance to improve my family's standard of living, and a chance for advancement.

Good luck. And congratulations on the little one.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I just had another thought. (I'm old my brain works slow)

Try the utility companies, or government. They all have fleets and pay well with insurance etc. They also train like crazy. I worked for a utility for many years, and they would pay for your school as long as it was job related.

My brother in law worked at dealers for years(30+) and was always complaining about it. Then he got a job at Verizon working on the fleet. He didn't really care for it either, but he got all kinds of training. And benefits that really came in handy when he became terminally ill.(RIP) His family wasn't stuck with a lot of bills.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:02 PM   #11
Jered1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
If you like GM, you might want to work for Ford, if you work on them every day you may never want to own one again, instead you can go home at night cussing the Fords you worked on that day

The advice above is great and congrats on your own shop!

The only thing I would add is to actually go to a couple dealerships, talk to their service manager about what they want and how their process works

Best of luck and congrats on the little one!
So I went to my local ford dealer just to see if they have any jobs, (since there is no chevy dealer) I thought maybe they might offer me a job as a detailer or oil lube guy ( since my two year autobody certificate wasn't worth crap up north)
I was thrilled today to possibly get offered a job as a body tech/ helper at the ford dealership since my certificate hasn't ever been worth crap. Just got to wait
To hear back whether I got the job or not.😃😃😃
Old 11-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #12
Ol Blue K20

My fingers are crossed for ya.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 11-09-2017, 10:03 PM   #13
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I've been working on all makes for a long time now. I'd hate to limit myself to one make. And I'll be damned if I'll ever work for a dealership.

If you stick with one make then you are not as valuable
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #14
davischevy

Whatever you land, make sure you like the work. Not like it every minute, of every day, but have moments when you can stand back and think "I did that".

Look for something that has a retirement plan. If your young that is important.

I have always worked on and built my own vehicles, but if was my vocation, I would work on heavy duty trucks. Whether it be, mechanics or body.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Congrats, I knew Ford is always looking for people, can't keep 'em on the roads (I kid, I kid, I own 2 fords, our 2011 Mustang bought new has been a great car.)

Get your time in and experience and always keep an eye out for better opportunities.

Yes, put in your 401K NOW. Money multiplies and it multiples more with time. You don't lose as much from your paycheck as you think because it reduces your taxable income.

I'll give you an example. I'm an engineer so my salary has "gotten up there" and I got a 2K cost of living raise this year. Well, when I got my paycheck my overall raise after taxes was, and I can't make this crap up... $0.17. Yes SEVENTEEN CENTS! So I bumped my 401K contribution up from 12% to 15% and on my next paycheck my "raise" was now over $5. So I'm not putting 3% more towards my retirement and it didn't hurt my take home pay at all.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:42 PM   #16
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
I've been working on all makes for a long time now. I'd hate to limit myself to one make. And I'll be damned if I'll ever work for a dealership.

If you stick with one make then you are not as valuable
i always thought it would have been nice to work at a dealership working on one specific make. i figured after a while you would be able to quickly diagnose common issues or whatever.

at my first mechanic shop we used to get a ton of s10s and knew those things inside and out so was able to quickly knock out any s10 that came in with pretty much any issue
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
davischevy

Get there early and leave last, do stuff without being told (dump the trash, sweep the floor, clean the toilet etc.) don't wait for someone to tell you what to do, and you will work your way up the ladder quick.

Just today I was telling my young banker about a couple of old multi millionaires in town and how they made their money.

One made his money in auto salvage and the other in dealerships. They both started out as detail/teardown boys. They went above and beyond their assigned duties (read other peoples work), climbed the ladder fast and ended up owning their own businesses. Don't focus on the money, focus on the work and you will do fine.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #18
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
Get there early and leave last, do stuff without being told (dump the trash, sweep the floor, clean the toilet etc.) don't wait for someone to tell you what to do, and you will work your way up the ladder quick.

Just today I was telling my young banker about a couple of old multi millionaires in town and how they made their money.

One made his money in auto salvage and the other in dealerships. They both started out as detail/teardown boys. They went above and beyond their assigned duties (read other peoples work), climbed the ladder fast and ended up owning their own businesses. Don't focus on the money, focus on the work and you will do fine.
Great advice! Be more valuable to your employer and it will pay off for you over time. Take extra training, work hard, be a team player, help others.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #19
Jered1987

Hey everyone got the job and just have to go in and sign papers then start Tuesday.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 AM   #20
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jered1987 View Post
Hey everyone got the job and just have to go in and sign papers then start Tuesday.
Congratulations, best of luck, work hard and make us proud!! Keep us posted...

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 11-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #21
zach_carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

Best advice Ive read. Dont wait on people to ask you to do something, take initiative and jump in there and help anyone you see needing help. Getting in with the older guys also really helps! Im a Ford service advisor and I know where your at right now.

LINK TO SUPER SNOOPY C10 BUILD---> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689283

1977 C10 SILVERADO HAWAIIAN BLUE, 5/5" DROP, LS6/4L80E

1976 CHEVY K5, 350/350, YUBA GOLD/SADDLE
zach_carver is offline   Reply With Quote