The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

1960 generator lamp wire for 3 wire alt

I'm trying to tie into the generator idiot lamp on my 60 burb. I have a diagram for 63, 64 and one that says 60-64. All show the generator lamp has two wires, pink and brown. I'm guessing I'm guessing into brown wire, but here is where it gets odd.

If I ohm the wires to trace it, I get continuity when I seemingly connect the ohm meter to the spot on the harness for the temp light and the back of bulb that's in the generator spot.

My temp isn't a light but a gauge. Any idea here?

The 60-64 all inclusive diagram shows brown wire going to headlight switch AND a label that says '***** dash only'.

I've found the wire in the plug that 'should' be to what I think is generator goes to fuel gauge. I'll worry about fuel gauge later....

Obviously this wiring is a mess, even though some seems to be in original looms. I've also noticed if I ohm the wire that goes to the generator light(brown wire), to the panel, most of those ohm across. It's that ok our not?
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 1960 generator lamp wire for 3 wire alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
I'm trying to tie into the generator idiot lamp on my 60 burb. I have a diagram for 63, 64 and one that says 60-64. All show the generator lamp has two wires, pink and brown. I'm guessing I'm guessing into brown wire, but here is where it gets odd.

All the GM charging lights are wired this way. The pink wire is the power wire into the cluster and it feed the charging light the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge.

If I ohm the wires to trace it, I get continuity when I seemingly connect the ohm meter to the spot on the harness for the temp light and the back of bulb that's in the generator spot. See above

My temp isn't a light but a gauge. Any idea here? You have a gauge cluster and no temp light if you look at the circuit diagram for the 64 the temperature lights are a hot light and a cold light so you actually would have two lights IF you had a light cluster.

The 60-64 all inclusive diagram shows brown wire going to headlight switch AND a label that says '***** dash only'. This could be a feed light for the dash lights. I looked for it on the wiring diagram but I didn't see it. In this diagram for a 64 it shows the only brown wire to theheadlight switch goes to the rear for the tail lights.

I've found the wire in the plug that 'should' be to what I think is generator goes to fuel gauge. I'll worry about fuel gauge later.... Again The wire for the fuel gauge also feeds the temperature lights or a gauge if you have a gauge dash.

Here is where it gets complicated, With all of your threads it is hard to keep track of which wiring system you have, since you started with a generator, and went to an external regulated alternator, and then to a 10 SI, which is an internally regulated alternator. IF you are still using an external regulator then you probably have a 10 DN alternator which is an externally regulated alternator.

Obviously this wiring is a mess, even though some seems to be in original looms. I've also noticed if I ohm the wire that goes to the generator light(brown wire), to the panel, most of those ohm across. It's that ok our not?

Are you sure that the brown wire is the generator wire because that wire would go to the external regulator on the EVR style alternator.Your problem with this whole thing is that you are going to have to decide which system you are going to use and get rid of the wiring and dash for the rest. If that wire comes from the cluster then it is from the generator tell tale light from a light cluster and not a gauge cluster. The brown wire for the gauge cluster would come from the key switch on an ignition terminal or an Accessory terminal if you had one. If you look at the second diagram you can see the brown wire at the top of the diagram and follow it to the lower firewall connector where it continues out to the EVR, or to the no. 1 terminal of the 10 SI alternator if you've bypassed the EVR.
Here is the diagram for the gauge dash on a 65 which shows the ammeter and the brown wire from the key switch. The brown wire from the headlight switch is also shown.

Name:  65_dash_w_gauges.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  116.6 KB

And here is the light cluster with the charging light (Gen tell tale).

Name:  64_wiring_page2.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  96.5 KB

All those pink wires are power wires which are common to your ohm meter continuity.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote