The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Pinchecharlie

Any center link gurus out there?

Ism trying to swap front end parts from a donor 84 to my 65. Well the center link is bent and I can't seem to find one? Wondering if anyone knows of an compatible one? 4wd? S-10 ect..? I know from the fact section I can use an adapter tie rod adjuster sleeve and use the 65 steering linkage but since it's apart I would like to replace with new parts . One way or the other I will replace with new but I've read the late model steering linkage is more desirable? Thanks Charlie
Should have mentioned that I've all ready ordered late model spindles . Thought I could still use the brakes ect.. guess I could send them back but seems like a hassle.
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
GMDad

Re: Any center link gurus out there?

You will have to also remount the idler arm if you use the later steering link. Not a big job but you need to keep the geometry the same.
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you use everything from your '84 donor truck including the entire steering linkage, that simplifies the whole conversion. That is what I always recommend. As already mentioned, you will have to drill holes to mount the later model idler arm. Not a big deal.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
GMDad

If I am not mistaken that center link is considered a non wear item as the pivoting joints are in the idler and pitman arm so the aftermarket is not liable to make one as no demand for it. If you still have the original one just check the taper in the holes and clean it up, paint it and use it.
GMDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #5
Pinchecharlie

its bent. thought i mentioned that sorry. thanks for the replies though
Pinchecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Yep, I know how that goes. This is what happens when someone tries to pull the truck from the center link... I happened to find a local guy selling one.

1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
luvbowties

Smile Re: Any center link gurus out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchecharlie View Post
Ism trying to swap front end parts from a donor 84 to my 65. Well the center link is bent and I can't seem to find one? Wondering if anyone knows of an compatible one? 4wd? S-10 ect..? I know from the fact section I can use an adapter tie rod adjuster sleeve and use the 65 steering linkage but since it's apart I would like to replace with new parts . One way or the other I will replace with new but I've read the late model steering linkage is more desirable? Thanks Charlie
Should have mentioned that I've all ready ordered late model spindles . Thought I could still use the brakes ect.. guess I could send them back but seems like a hassle.
FIRST: I'D RATHER REPLACE THAN BEND, BUT...If yours is bent not much worse than Chevy Mike's, find a hydraulic press with a wide opening to accept full length of center link and carefully/slowly press it back straight to the eyeball--should be plenty close enough and still safe. Do it all with one push. BTW, there must be several years that are identical; you don't necessarily need a 1984.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote