The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
oldpurple

Dual hump crossmember swap

I'm just wondering if anyone that has done this swap has any info or tips on it. I have a '79 with the catalytic convertor style crossmember and would like to swap to the older 'dual hump' style.

Some issues I can see now is that the lower leg of the frame rail on the driver's side is on a bit of an angle (to clear the cat). Has anyone modified the crossmember to match the angle? Or tried to tweak the frame to level it out a bit to help with fitting the dual hump crossmember?

Another issue I can see is the bracket for the parking brake will be in the way, and possibly the cable itself.

Anyone have any insight on this? Info or pics would be much appreciated.
oldpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #2
69heavychevy

Re: Dual hump crossmember swap

I swapped over to that x-member to better clear my dual exhaust. The only thing I did was drill a new front mounting hole on the drivers side. The frame also seemed to be a tiny bit narrower. Had to use some alignment bars to get the bolts through.
I think the parking brake cables were an issue. Mine were shot so I just removed them. I'll eventually try to figure something out with that.