The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #76
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
I really like those tires and wheels. Good progress.
Thanks Marcus
Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #77
cruizin01

Few small updates. Missing some pictures. Failing at this lately.

Got my sport mirrors installed over the weekend. Used some dimensions I found on this site to drill my holes.

Im pretty happy with how they turned out for some used oem's.

I also installed the LH door latch and handle. I realized I'm missing the lever for the lock cylinder on this side so I had to order that.

I went and picked up ANOTHER hood Saturday. The guy had a truck he was trying to sell that needed a complete resto so he let me trade the hood I bought a few weeks ago that needed too much metal work for this one and $200. I have too much $$$ in this now but at least I have a solid hood to start with. Need to get it soda blasted this week and back to the paint shop.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #78
cruizin01

I posted all this once and it was deleted for some reason. Trying again.

Installed the LH fender over the weekend. It fit like a glove compared to the passenger side. Couple shims to match it up with the door and bam done. Im hoping the hood is close once I get it bolted up.

I recently got my old seat home from Dads. I cleaned it up the best I could. Its pretty nice. I wish it was the right color. Which got me thinking about painting it. Ive read good things about the SEM stuff. I figure Im not out anything as I can't use this seat cover anyway. That'll at least give me some time until I can find a newer seat with headrest.

While the truck was out of the truck to get the seat stuck in (temporarily) I took a few shots. Super happy with the overall look. Gonna look great once its washed and detailed and the bumper and tail lights are installed.

My wife thought it appropriate for the first family selfie in the truck. The dog hates the noises of this truck. lol.

And last but not least a quick test drive up the driveway.

https://youtu.be/6AyifQxgSB4

Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #79
Whamo

great build...I've jumped on board!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=622194
Whamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:20 PM   #80
cruizin01

Still plugging away.

I managed to get the front and rear bumpers installed for the final time...hopefully.

Neither fit exactly like I wanted but they are pretty close. The rear sits pretty nice since I modified the brackets. Its didn't fit in snug quite as far on the left as the right but you have to look to notice. The gravel guards fit up nice and covered up the bumper brackets. Happy with those.

The front went on a little easier. I had to redrill one hole on the frame to get the bumper to sit correctly. Its not perfect either but no one will notice but me.

Everything on the front is pretty much done except for the lower valence. Im waiting to paint it with the hood. It'll just need the molding attached and the lights installed. The blue valance and hood should hopefully really bring the darker colors together.

I spent some time working on getting the sniper display mounted. I used the top part of a spare AC vent to mount the display to it so I could easily screw it to the dash like stock. (the sniper mounting bracket sucks btw). Its not pretty now but fits pretty flush and square once the bezel is installed.

I started getting the door glass ready to swap over. I removed the glass and vent windows from my original doors. Ill post pics as that comes along. I have PP gaskets for the vents and GM felt wipers for the doors.

Im trying to decide on carpet and a headliner. My cab must not have had anything as there are no holes for any trim. Im trying to decide whether I want to buy a headliner and drill all the holes along with painting all the spare trim I have. I would have to paint those along with the door panels, sunvisors and dash pad. And the seat..geesh

I have to go pickup my hood from the soda blasters tomorrow. He let me down when he said they found some bondo in the new hood. :-( Ill see how bad it is tomorrow. Im about to lose my mind over trying to find a good hood. I have a retarded amount of money in trying to find a nice hood to paint. ugh.

More updates soon.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #81
Wraith

Looking good!
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:59 AM   #82
cruizin01

Got my hood back from the blasters and over to the body shop. It was in pretty good shape. Im not sure why the blaster said it was rough. The underside had a small amount of pitting but in general its in good shape. Unfortunately my body shop is super slammed with work right now so... Im not sure how long it'll take to get back.

I ordered some carpet, lower door panel carpets, panel pockets, a floor mats & a rear wall mat. I ran into a hiccup with the colors. I assumed that with the ACC stuff that when you wanted medium gray it was the same color between the cutpile and the Essex stuff. That is NOT the case. The Essex is super dark and has a green tint to it. The cutpile medium gray is what I am wanting. So I had to send the carpet and lower door covers back and reorder.

Anyway. I ordered a slightly darker floor mat to go over the carpet. I think it should contract nicely. The pockets will be a nice match to the carpet, assuming the color I picked to spray the door panels with isn't terrible..

I also got new seat belts. The buckles are nice. Im not a huge fan of the retractor style but I guess its all you get with aftermarket. I may spray the housings when I spray the rest of the interior as it has a slightly funky tint to them.

I got some speaker kick panel pods from Rod Doors to spray and attach to the stock kick panels. I don't have a headliner yet but Im gonna go ahead and spray everything together so I can add the upper trim whenever. If I get a headliner before final assy Ill do it then, if not I can do it all later.

I had to order a new HVAC lamp socket from LMC. For some reason my harness has a small plug than my controls. So I swapped the plug without any issues. The black one is earlier style and the white is for later.

Last week I had disassembled all the window and vent window parts. I painted the trim pieces and put some rust prevent stuff on the regulator and lower guides. I had the Precision gaskets I needed for the vents from a parts order on the original build so that worked out. I ordered a new vent handle kit from LMC that had a black "cover". I wish the handle was black but whatever.

These vent window rebuilds suck! I finished one last night. Not super stoked with it but its complete and functional. The vertical seal doesn't always lay correctly when you pull the glass up to it and lock it down for some reason. Im hoping it will flatten out. Ill post more pictures if it keeps messing up. It took me a while to figure out how to get the "C' seal to lay into the metal frame correctly. The other side I think will go together easier now that I have a better idea what the heck Im doing.

This weekend Im gonna pull my seat back out and start the sound insulation installation. I have 50 or 60sq ft of that to put on the floor, backwall and doors.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #83
cruizin01

Bit more progress this weekend. Got both doors sounded insulated with some deadening from Amazon. I did the entire inside of the outer shell and several spots on the inside of the inner shell. It makes the door feel super solid when shutting it compared to before.

After the deadening was installed I was able to reinstall the vent wing and regulator and main glass on the drivers side. I STRUGGLED heavily when trying to get the glass back in the regulator. I removed them without much difficulty but couldn't it back in for the life of me... Eventually got it.. I just have the RH door now.

Today I rebuilt the RH vent wing. Still difficult but went together better now that I had done one. I trimmed the vertical seal to fit better and the install went better.

Ive been researching what I wanted to do with the audio for the truck. I thought I had decided on a retrosound but didn't really want to spend the money on it plus an amp to provide reasonable power.

I did some searching around and decided on this kenwood amp with bluetooth remote. It fits the opening of the cluster bezel just about right. Ill put a piece of plastic behind it or something to cover up the knob holes, etc. I plan to install the compact amp under the seat...hopefully.

And just another pic for motivation. I need to get the tail light wiring ran so I can finish off the lighting on the rear end. Ole girl still needs a bath bad.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #84
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Installing the side glass into the regulator is easier with the glass and regular in the full up position. Using some masking tape, go from the inside of the glass, over the top of the door to the outside of the glass to hold the glass in the run channels in the full up position. With the regulator also in the up position, the rollers go in the tracks fairly easy.

Hope this helps on the other door.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #85
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Installing the side glass into the regulator is easier with the glass and regular in the full up position. Using some masking tape, go from the inside of the glass, over the top of the door to the outside of the glass to hold the glass in the run channels in the full up position. With the regulator also in the up position, the rollers go in the tracks fairly easy.

Hope this helps on the other door.
Thanks. I was able to get the other one in. Slightly easier this time. I had more problems with the vent window not fitting correctly on this side. Finally got it. Then I mangled the outer wipe strip. So now I have to replace that. Always something!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM   #86
cruizin01

couple small updates.

I got my replacement carpet and lower door panel cards yesterday. They are finally the correct color. So now everything should match pretty well.

I got all my SEM interior prep and paint items from Route 66 autocolor.

I started sound deadening the floor since my doors are done. I'll post pictures when that's finished.

I received my amp and controller the other day. The controller is almost a perfect fit for what Im trying to do. I ordered a piece of ABS to make a plate to mount it and cover the holes.

The amp is super small so I may try to mount it right behind the controller. There appears to be plenty of room. I just need to make some sort of bracket.

I painted the arms previously but didn't paint the actual blades. It looked out of place so I painted the blades after I made sure I could find some rubber inserts that fit correctly. Looks better.

I ordered a super cool keychain from @keychainguy in Canada. It finally showed up yesterday after a couple weeks. I may consider trying to paint it. Not sure how touch up paint would look on it....

Ive got loads of things to do on the interior. Paint and assembly. Hoping all that comes together pretty easy and soon.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:57 PM   #87
MTCK

Looks real good. The stereo install is a nice alternative to hacking the bezel.

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #88
cruizin01

I finished up all the sounded deadening on the floor and back of the cab. I had just enough after going through 2 boxes. I would have doubled up in a few spots had I had extra.

I also added a roll of radiant barrier on top of whats pictures above. Of course I forgot to take pictures. I was able to run the wiring for the speaker crossovers down the tunnel between 2 pieces of the barrier. I used aluminum tape to hold everything down.

I laid the carpet down last evening. Not super stoked about the fitment of it. Its pretty loose in some spots. As in their seems to be extra material molded where its not needed. But I didn't lay it out ahead of time either so maybe itll smooth out. I may have to do something with the gas pedal as well, when the floor mat is on top I cant get the pedal all the way down to get 100% TPS.

Tonight I punched/drilled all the holes and temporarily hooked up my speakers and finished the wiring for the amp. First time Ive ever mounted an amp in a dash. :-) Everything works nice. My speakers obviously need a housing.

I picked up a sheet of 1/16" abs that Im gonna use to make a plate for mounting the bluetooth remote. It'll also cover up the extra holes for the original style radio.

Thanks for watching.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #89
cruizin01

I finally decided to go ahead and try and paint my red seat with the SEM color coat. I found some pretty sticky masking tap that would adhere to the velour pretty well. I took my time and masked off the black velour and most of the underside of the seat bottom and back.

I used the SEM soap to scrub the vinyl with a gray scotch brite pad. Then right before I sprayed it I used the SEM vinyl prep. You spray it on and then wipe it off before you paint. I then took my harbor freight gun and shot 3ish coats of color coat.

I had previously messed around with darkening the Storm Gray color by adding some Medium Gray to it. I liked the color but what actually ended up on the seat appears quite a bit lighter. So I dunno why that is. It'll do for now. Ill decide what I want to do in the future. Whether its repainting it or having a new cover made for it. Or even buy a seat from TKCR. Or I still would like a later seat with headrest.

The color dried super quick, almost too quick. I wish I would have laid another coat on it. Once it dried it was pretty rough to the touch. So after the seat dried for a day I took 1k grit sandpaper and a spray bottle and wet sanded the new paint. It worked great. Its all very smooth except in a couple spots where I was afraid of sanding through the coating. This coating is super durable. After about a half hour I test a small spot and was unable to scrape it off with my nail. Pretty impressed. Hopefully it holds up decent.

I also took some time to clean up the seat tracks. They really need replaced as they dont work great. The passenger side wont latch quite right on its own. It needs help.

I got the seat put back together and installed in the truck. Dont mind the carpet color in the pictures. Its not that yellow or dirty looking.

I hung the rear cab wall carpet as well before putting the seats in. Forgot a picture. Its just held in place with velcro tape.

I installed the seats belts as well. The bolts that came with the new bracket didn't fit my cab for some reason so I had to scrounge around for some bolts. I didn't have the originals.

I wanted to get the kick panels cut and test fit before I paint everything so I finished both of those. I drilled some holes to go through the new speaker pod into the old kickpanel holes. Everything fits fine. Very snug with the carpet and sounded barrier and sound deadener. I had to trim the bottom of the kick panel a bit.

I picked up some 1/16" ABS plastic off amazon to make a trim plate for my bluetooth "remote". I cut a couple small pieces for the knob holes then made a small plate for the remote to snap into. I just taped it to the back of the bezel. I think it turned out pretty good. Not factory looking but not butchered either. I have about half the money of a Retro Sound unit with 2x the power from the external amp.

Im hoping to paint a few interior trim items today. Im not gonna have enough paint. That seat took quite a bit more than I was expecting.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:25 PM   #90
Wraith

Looks great, I love the attention to detail.
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #91
TKCR

The seat turned out awesome, love the color!!! I'll be following along
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #92
cruizin01

I finished up my fender emblems last night... well sort of, I may still add a coat of satin clear to them to dull the silver met a little. But the colors are done. Im pretty happy with them. Not perfect but not bad for an amateur. I think Im just gonna mount them with double sided tape. Seeing as how you can't put the nuts on the back with the fenders on the truck.

The yellow came from mixing these 2 testors colors. Sqaurebody Syndicate posted this combo.

Oh and I forgot to post that I got my title, reg and plates for the truck. So its officially legal. Oh and I got my taillights and reg lamp installed. Ill post a picture of those later. Everything works. I just need to finish routed and securing up the harness. Its too long so I may shorten it up.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #93
cruizin01

Friday evening I finished shortening up the rear tailight harness and fuel sending unit wire. I had new terminal ends so I just cut the wires and put new ends on everything. It all worked and looked clean. Pictures don't really show anything.

This weekend the goal was to clean all my interior panels and prep them for painting. Friday night I went at scuffing the previously painted door panels. I was hoping the paint would just scuff and I could clean them up but that didn't go so well. The paint started peeling off so I had to strip them. I used the pressure washer and went to work. Took a while but I got them stripped off.

Saturday morning I painted the dash, door panels, armrest, kick panels and armrest. The SEM works really well and everything turned out good. I put more material on this stuff than I did the seat and it came out smoother, without any "rough" spots.

So last night I was able to start putting the kick panels together. I added some sound deadening to the inside of the speaker kick panels to dampen everything.

I then installed the main kick panel and then the speaker kick panel and screwed everything together. This stuff fits super tight with all the sound deadening and carpet and insulation. It was a struggle on both sides.

The sound is awesome though. These Boston Acoustic speakers sound great with the little Kenwood amp. Pretty please with the sound.

Earlier today I was able to work on the drivers side door panel. I attached the wiper seal to the door panel. I put the door panel insulator foam on the back side. I put the clips, etc on the panel that were needed. I then installed the window handle and armrest.

Lastly I double sided taped the lower carpet panels to the door itself.

Im sorta torn as to whether I should leave the door pocket the stock great color and just install it as is. ... Im also kinda torn as to how "bland" the armrest looks. Im considering painting it black to mix up the gray...or possibly order another pint of gray, something darker obviously. Its frustrating as the color samples dont seem to represent the color accurately. The actual color is significantly lighter than the chips.

I also want to upgrade the window riser handle at some point. The aftermarket stuff is junkkkkky.

I thought I was gonna be able to install the dash pad today but the truck had other ideas. The clips I have are earlier clips and dont work right with the 81-87 dash pad. I struggled with getting it to fit up under the windshield trim correctly. I hope the new clips help with that. I am happy with the color and the molding for it.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #94
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I think this lighter gray looks good on the doors. I personally would not put on the map pockets. I like the plain look. If you do go with the pockets, maybe a darker gray to match the vent in the carpet panel would work good.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #95
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
I think this lighter gray looks good on the doors. I personally would not put on the map pockets. I like the plain look. If you do go with the pockets, maybe a darker gray to match the vent in the carpet panel would work good.
Thanks for your input. I bit the bullet and ordered the armrest that match the door pockets. So we'll see how that goes together. I hate to not use these NOS armrest that I painted now but...
Old 08-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #96
cruizin01

Installed the sunvisors last evening. 6 screws and clips and they were done. Nothing super exciting there.

Got my floor mat from ACC with a couple black bowties in them. Super nice mat for the money. It sucked though I had to make a couple relief trims as there wasn't any room under the speaker pod for the mat to fit under. But they are hidden so it'll do.

Just waiting on new dash clips and armrest to be able to finish off the door panels and get the dash installed. Then the cluster bezel can go back on. That will just about complete the interior until I get the glovebox and ashtray doors back from paint.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #97
TKCR

Wow, that is really coming together!! Love the colors
Old 08-10-2018, 08:57 AM   #98
cruizin01

Unhappy Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Wow, that is really coming together!! Love the colors
Thanks.

I got my new armrest yesterday from LMC. The color looked pretty close to the door pockets so I went ahead and drilled the 4 holes for the pockets and mounted the armrest on the passenger side. I did the same on the drivers side. Then I stepped back and realized the colors are several shades off and Im really not happy with the color on the armrest and they don't sit very flat on the door panels either. sigh.. Along with the fact I scraped the heck out of the passenger side door panel when my screwdriver slipped.

So I reinstalled the oem color matched armrest for now. What Id really like to do at some point I think is buy some 80's style door panels that match up with the dash. I cant think of anything I can do at this point with the panels I have that will make me feel they fit the truck right...

Moving on.. with the LMC order I got the correct dash clipped so I had by wife help me slip it into place. It fit "pretty" well. Not perfect. I wish it said slightly closer to the windshield and had a bit more material on the left side nearest the door but it is what it is.

I had to drop the column to get the dash bezel installed. It fit pretty mediocre but Ive read that's the case with most trucks. I got it all to fit satisfactory. The bezel doesn't fit tight up against the Dakota digital gauges but you can't see it unless your looking for it. I didn't want to stress the bezel and take a chance of breaking it. Overall Im happy with the dash and the bezel.

Just waiting on the ashtray and glovebox doors to be painted with the hood to pretty much close out the interior of the truck. I do need to install a review mirror and install a courtesy light. I really need a dome light of some sort which I have but its for a headliner setup and I don't have any wiring in the truck so that will come at some point.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:57 AM   #99
TKCR

Looks good, but I see what you mean about the armrest. If I remember right, I got mine from Classic Parts. The color matched a lot better than the LMC.

On the Dash Bezel, it's not really the gauges that's causing it not to fit right, it's the bezel itself. You got an 81-87 dash pad and your using a PRE 81-87 bezel. The dash pad on the 81-87 is shaped a little different.
Dash pads are 73-78 79-80 81-87
The bezels are 73-80 and then 81-87
They will work, but you will just have some minor fitment issues.

Other than that, I think it looks awesome And I'll say it again, I love that color of gray your using.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #100
cruizin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Looks good, but I see what you mean about the armrest. If I remember right, I got mine from Classic Parts. The color matched a lot better than the LMC.

On the Dash Bezel, it's not really the gauges that's causing it not to fit right, it's the bezel itself. You got an 81-87 dash pad and your using a PRE 81-87 bezel. The dash pad on the 81-87 is shaped a little different.
Dash pads are 73-78 79-80 81-87
The bezels are 73-80 and then 81-87
They will work, but you will just have some minor fitment issues.

Other than that, I think it looks awesome And I'll say it again, I love that color of gray your using.
I was pretty sure this is a later bezel. It doesn't have the cutout for the wiper.. why do you think its earlier?

Thanks again for the kind words. Im pretty hard on myself so its nice to hear good things.