The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
Perma71

Question Z-Bar Ball Stud ?

Hello...
Are all the ball studs (engine side) the same? The one on my 1971 C20 with a BB/Sm465 combo snapped. I see different part numbers for the cars and am not sure where to get the correct one before pulling the engine.

Thanks.
Perma71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 AM   #2
burnin oil

Re: Z-Bar Ball Stud ?

No there are atleast 3 sizes I know of. If you still have the broken one just measure out the length and you can order a new ball stud from Summit racing. I do not know if your big block runs the bolt on adapter for the ball stud or if it is engine mounted (always a SBC guy) but Scoggin Dickey, a GM dealer that sells alot of performance parts, carries the bracket style if Summit doesnt have it in stock.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:52 AM   #3
Perma71

^^^It’s in the block. The engine is out of a 1970 pass. car, so I don’t know if it even had the right one to start with.
Do many people use the adapter plates? I saw those, but just assumed they wouldn’t fit without chopping up the Z-bar.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
burnin oil

I am not sure what the actual application for the bracket is to be honest. It is a big block thing but I am pretty sure that it was for cars. Like I said previously, just measure the old one and order from summit. It has worked for years so just replace it and move on. I would also check the condition of the cab and radiator support bushings. The linkage is pretty robust from the factory but a sagging cab can add alot of strain on it. If you think about it the Motor cant move around alot and the other side of the Zbar is rigid mounted to the frame then you add the wieght of a sagging cab onto the Zbar and that is probably why you snapped the stud.

With a little finess you can drill/grind the rivets for the Zbar mount on the frame rail. Then you can easily remove it to replace the stud without pulling the engine.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:30 AM   #5
Perma71

Darn, it looks tight to try and get the threads out of the block without yanking it.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
burnin oil

Its tight down there but you can work it with the linkage out of the way. I put a SBC in and forgot to verify that it was drilled and tapped for the stud that we are talking about. I managed to drill and tap it without pulling the motor. It did suck.