The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
Hawssie

Whats the story on goodmark

I know this general topic has been covered a bunch in regards to one sheet metal supplier to another with the consensus being that parts sold by venders all come from the same Chinese factory(s). But I was surfing the Summit catalog and under many (but not all) Goodmark sheet metal parts it says OEM replacement, for example it has bedsides and doors that say OEM. The bedsides are $630.which is more than typical. Is this true?
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Tim Christian

Re: Whats the story on goodmark

They are more than one tooling on some parts and then some parts they are only one tool. Doors for 67-71 for example they are three different tools on this door in other words they are made at three different plants. On top of that you can but some stuff different thickness from the same tool for example Vendor A might call and order 5000 of the lower door bottom 1MM thick and Vendor B might call and order 5000 of the lower door bottom 1.2 MM thick. So bottom line is they all are not the same. Alot of people talk about stuff that they really don't know what they are talking about. Ok question How do I know? I work for one of the largest importers of Classic sheet metal in the good old USA which is Key Parts. Don't make me a expert per say but I do know my job and take it serious but it is very diffcult to work with overseas vendors to correct problems. For example the 67-68 Chevy/GMC cowl hood tooling has issues and they are only one tool on this hood no matter whom you buy it from I have been trying to get them to fix it since I have worked there. My response I get from them is it has always been like that. What the heck????
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

None of it is OEM,that's for sure. How can they have OEM when your Chevy dealer doesn't? I go to Tim for the correct answer on what's what in repo sheet metal. No one knows exactly who sells what unless they're in the business. It's a whole lot of smoke & mirrors with this stuff. Some parts boxed with one company's logo were made by another. You don't know who made what or what gauge it is unless you ask,and hope for a straight answer.*

* Not intended to make all vendors look crooked. It's just such a mystery for buyers.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 05-05-2013 at 09:51 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
Tim Christian

Tim you are Correct.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Hawssie

What a nightmare! Well I keep looking around for parts now I guess pretty much blindly, But on one specific question maybe you can offer some advice, who would you recommend for bed sides? I keep going back to LMC mainly because they seem to have everything and its easy, but mostly because they eat the shipping on orders over 1K. I talked to SOKYs and they highly recommend their source for bedsides but I cant get over the $560 for shipping to CA.(and thats to a business) I know its not their fault, its frustrating to think the damned thing after traveling overseas probably was unloaded down the state in LA or maybe even 35 miles away in Oakland and then goes to Kentucky then it has to come back here!
Hawssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Shipping is frustrating. One thing about this site is you can get info on part quality and who they bought it from from other members,after the fact. Gotta watch how long ago,though,cuz a vendor can switch sources. There has to be a good source at least in CA,if not in the Bay Area or a reasonable distance for you to avoid shipping all together.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote