The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2018, 02:55 AM   #1
bh86

Polishing up an 84 opinions needed

I picked up this lil truck a few months back in a business trade and I've kinda fallen in love with it. Pretty typical for me ��. I've decided to redo the interior and so far I've laid down sound deadener, carpet, re dyed the door panels found an original dash that didn't have any cracks, recovered the head liner, newish seat that looks great, rebuilt the gauge cluster, and now I'm stuck on what to do for the stereo. I've had my fair share of squares and I don't want subs that require me to move the seat forward at all. I've seen a lot of people advertising under seat subs and was curious as to who has tried them and wether they're worth the coin. Any info would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to keep the truck as stock in appearance as possible but I don't mind having subs back there so long as they don't require the seat to be moved forward at all. I purchased a retro sounds deck to keep from cutting the dash and I'm excited to see how it all turns out. I picked up some Infinty dah speakers and I'm contemplating 6x9's in the back or keeping the the original look and installing a more modern 4x10. I know the 6x9 without question will outperform the 4x10 but I do like the look of the original brackets better personally. I ordered some window harnesses from gmmachinz and I'm in the process of rebuilding the doors. I got the vent windows done and should have the harnesses this week and be able to begin assembling the doors. Any info on stereo is greatly appreciated!!
Attached Images

Last edited by bh86; 02-20-2018 at 05:14 AM.
bh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Polishing up an 84 opinions needed

you've got the dash out on a table and your showing 1/4 tank of gas, 20lbs of oil pressure, and 180 degree temp....I think your battery is dead though...haha
...and all that took place at 4:00.....
nice truck btw

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:33 AM   #3
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
you've got the dash out on a table and your showing 1/4 tank of gas, 20lbs of oil pressure, and 180 degree temp....I think your battery is dead though...haha
...and all that took place at 4:00.....
nice truck btw
Hahaha thank you
Old 02-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
lux

I put component speakers front and rear. On the rear I put the tweeter closer to the door. On the front I bought pods to aim them up at me and the passanger. My wife bought me the Kicker powered sub for christmas. I thought I could fit it under the bucket seat but couldn't. I'm not sure what my seats are out of but they are low. So, I put it behind which worked out great because now I have room for the amp. Also the seat can go all the way back with no problem. My tuck is a 72, so not completely sure on yours. I also bought a Retro Sound head unit and I'm very happy with it.

lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #5
TKCR

Wow, what you have done so far looks great. Keep them pics coming, I enjoy seeing interior rebuilds.
I went with the Custom Auto Sound, its identical to the RetroSound. Put new 6x9's in the rear and new speakers up in the dash. I also put new a pillar garnishes in, that have the tweeters built in. I think it sounds and looks great.

You can check out my build thread for pics and maybe a few ideas for your truck. Like adding more under the dash lights with LED's, especially since you got the dash wiring exposed.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Wwes

Looks good, would you mind explaining how you did the rear circuits on the dash cluster? I'm getting ready to rebuild mine.
Wwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
bh86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Wow, what you have done so far looks great. Keep them pics coming, I enjoy seeing interior rebuilds.
I went with the Custom Auto Sound, its identical to the RetroSound. Put new 6x9's in the rear and new speakers up in the dash. I also put new a pillar garnishes in, that have the tweeters built in. I think it sounds and looks great.

You can check out my build thread for pics and maybe a few ideas for your truck. Like adding more under the dash lights with LED's, especially since you got the dash wiring exposed.
Wow your truck is beautiful. What brackets did you use for the 6x9’s?
Old 02-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
Wow your truck is beautiful. What brackets did you use for the 6x9’s?
The originals.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #9
bh86

Quote:
The originals.
Interesting, I didn't think they would fit, they look amazing. Did you have to customize the brackets at all?
Old 02-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh86 View Post
Interesting, I didn't think they would fit, they look amazing. Did you have to customize the brackets at all?
No.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #11
lux

Quote:

I'm a lighting designer for a living. So, I'm not a big fan of the look of LEDs especially consumer grade. I love everything else about LEDs, it's just that I see way too many in my line of work.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #12
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux View Post
I'm a lighting designer for a living. So, I'm not a big fan of the look of LEDs especially consumer grade. I love everything else about LEDs, it's just that I see way too many in my line of work.
I just like having more light in the truck at night
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
TKCR

bh86, do you have anymore interior pics?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #14
bh86

Quote:
bh86, do you have anymore interior pics?
I can get some tonight
Old 02-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
Damien

Quote:
The originals.
I didn't know there were grills to go over the speakers, I'll have to keep an eye out for a set. Your install is very clean.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 AM   #16
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I didn't know there were grills to go over the speakers, I'll have to keep an eye out for a set. Your install is very clean.
Get with MAXMAN over in the parts section, he had some recently for sale. Check out EBay also, there is usually a set for sale.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
Rich84

Quote:
The originals.
Can you give some info on the carpet you used and technique for the install. I need to finish the back wall of my stepside cab. I don't have the cardboard piece....Thanks
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:20 PM   #18
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich84 View Post
Can you give some info on the carpet you used and technique for the install. I need to finish the back wall of my stepside cab. I don't have the cardboard piece....Thanks
All I did was cover the cardboard piece with speaker/amp carpet.

I have the info on My 86 Build thread, along with more pics, just click the link at the bottom. This is bh86 thread, so I don't want to step on his toes.

If you have more questions, I can answer them from there.