The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: How many of us would look at a "BIG TRUCK" Forum
I have one of these and would post/look ALL THE TIME! 142 28.92%
I don't own one but I would definitely look at a forum for something to drool over 323 65.78%
I don't care, probably wouldn't ever even take a peek. 26 5.30%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #76
C-50 Rollback

Re: "BIG" truck forum C/40, C/50, C/60 and the like...

My first "real truck"
Attached Images

C-50 Rollback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #77
Reinovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-50 Rollback View Post
My first "real truck"
Very nice!!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #78
watahyahknow

looks pretty clean for its age

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #79
Reinovator

I thought all good projects were a work in progress.
I noticed the Budd style wheels the one I have been looking at has Dayton, bleechk, I hate those wheels. Was this a change you made or is there a size, weight, or year I should be looking for?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #80
special-K
Special Order

Hey C50,welcome from Mt.Airy,MD.That`s a nice usable truck you have there.NICE!!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-27-2010 at 05:59 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 PM   #81
bushytlb

C 50 rollback, Those pictures are inspiring. Looks to be a 67. There is something about the c50 that looks contemporary. Others look there age. Give it a DuPont overhaul and it will look like a million bucks.
I would like to find some front fenders for mine, then I would consider getten it painted. For now I'm focusing on a rear brake job.
Want to hear a good one? I was at a local truck parts supply store yesterday, the counter guy could not find availability for the part # off the package (Wagner F128905 Auto ajt kit). So he called around, ended up calling a company in California. The lady on the other end said they had one left and for an extra 8$ she/they would mark it emergency and the part would be reserved for me.And something about otherwise someone else might buy it. I'm going through the counter guy so I says "ya".The counter guy was as surprised as I was, we both thought I was buying it.
I'm not in a great position to negotiate since these parts are hard to come by. It seems that the 67 c50 is a bit elusive in the books. I feel that I'm being taken advantage off. I'm not putting a show truck together at any cost. I'm working on a truck that I've owned and operated since 82. I hope the industry responds appropriately. Not thinking that this is some fade that they can charge what ever they want because they think it is someone's frivolous pass time, rather see that individuals are repairing their vehicles for utilitarian purposes. Well just a though. bushy
bushytlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #82
C-50 Rollback

Actually it is a '69. At least thats what the title says. I haven't coded the vin yet. Nice to hear from everyone. I can't wait to get it tagged and on the road.
Might even bring it to Jimmie Cones in Mt Airy with a Cougar on it.

Any suggestions on where to get tires?
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #83
bushytlb

C 50 I guess that the front fenders do have amber marker cut into the fender. Didn't see them first time around. 67's do not have that marker. What rims do you have? I have the original split rims that a lot of tire folk are reluctant to mount tires on. The last time I had tire work done the man said he would not work on them if they were not in acceptable shape once he got them apart. I have 8.25x20 on mine. They are a bias tire that has been on it for years. Fronts are a steering tire made by Firestone and rears are an over the road Goodyear tire, deeply furrowed, very quiet on the road and good on sod and firm going. Nothing worst than hearing tires on the road, luggy type mud and snow are noisy. bushy

Last edited by bushytlb; 01-27-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #84
bushytlb

Special K any bone yards around Mount Airy that have 67 c50 in them? Ever notice any retired buses that have the c50 front clip on them down around there? Sure would appreciate any leads. bushy
Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 PM   #85
watahyahknow

i wonder if the hollander interchange manual would be of any use today
the axletype might still be in use today on more modern trucks and maibe the manufacturer of the axle itself can help you to there partnumbers or parts for it

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #86
bushytlb

c50 found some information you might be interested in regarding tires and wheels and the like. Go to www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wheels/ the tires that the guy in the picture, is carrying on the scooter, are the type of tread I have always had on my c50. They wear very well, have good traction, have met my driving conditions here in up state ny(perd near to O Canada). Not to much use of truck in the winter though got caught out in early snow with trailer on. got home as long as I kept momentum up. A good 8'' of wet snow.

Last edited by bushytlb; 01-27-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #87
bushytlb

watahyahknow: I found where I can purchase the hollander interchange manual. http://hollanderinterchange.net/index.php pretty cool. Going to talk it up see if it can be found in the library system. Thanks bushy
Old 01-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #88
structures

49 Chevy 4400. My next project...

structures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #89
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-50 Rollback View Post
...Might even bring it to Jimmie Cones in Mt Airy with a Cougar on it.

Any suggestions on where to get tires?
Maybe I`ll ride through town (if you`re in town) the next time I eat at the Red Bird.My good friend lives in Boonsboro and we hook up fairly often.
Tires?I haven`t had any call for "real truck" tires.I go to Eddies and Bob`s in Berkley Springs.Not sure how they are with bigger stuff.I have a friend who`s big on antique real trucks and talks to a lot of truck drivers.He`s a truck letterer/sign painter in Ellicott City.I`ll ask him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytlb View Post
Special K any bone yards around Mount Airy that have 67 c50 in them? Ever notice any retired buses that have the c50 front clip on them down around there? Sure would appreciate any leads. bushy
I don`t know what`s out there.I`ll keep my eyes open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by structures View Post
49 Chevy 4400. My next project...
Whatcha gonna do?Restore stock?Get all creative on us?Huh?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #90
watahyahknow

i know the older tires are still made somewhere i used to deliver them to some company here in the netherlands that sells them from t ford upwarth bias ply cross ply you name it

Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #91
structures

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I want it to look stock on the outside but with a modern drivetrain. I've been thinking maybe a duramax/allison. Currently it has a small straight 6 and I don't think I can live with that in it.
structures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #92
watahyahknow

i like this one

i had a website some time ago from a guy that put pickupbeds on big rig trucks the cabs of those trucks are usually the same shape as those on a pickup out of the same year just mounted higher

Last edited by watahyahknow; 01-30-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #93
C-50 Rollback

Hey Structures. Nice truck! Body looks straight except for the crease by the gas cap. Must be nice to have a lot of money and a lot of time. I can only come up with one or the other, never both. Being in Oklahoma must be nice. Just a little surface rust to deal with I assume.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #94
C-50 Rollback

Bushytlb

Thanks for the great link to stovebolt. Nice to have the info before I shell out big bucks for tires. It got me thinking that maybe I could go to a smaller newer design wheel which would enable me to use less expensiver tires. Only problem with that is it would change the "stance" of the truck. I kinda like it up there.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #95
C-50 Rollback

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Maybe I`ll ride through town (if you`re in town) the next time I eat at the Red Bird.My good friend lives in Boonsboro and we hook up fairly often.
Tires?I haven`t had any call for "real truck" tires.I go to Eddies and Bob`s in Berkley Springs.Not sure how they are with bigger stuff.I have a friend who`s big on antique real trucks and talks to a lot of truck drivers.He`s a truck letterer/sign painter in Ellicott City.I`ll ask him.

I don`t know what`s out there.I`ll keep my eyes open.

Special-K

That would be great. Maybe we could meet up at Red Bird one weekend. I am still in the process of tranfering the title tags etc. Should have the truck in Keedysville in acouple weeks.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #96
special-K
Special Order

I`ll do that ^

Whatahyahknow,that is awesome.I wanted to do one of those when I had three medium duty 36-40s sitting around years ago.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 01-30-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #97
Reinovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytlb View Post
c50 found some information you might be interested in regarding tires and wheels and the like. Go to www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wheels/ the tires that the guy in the picture, is carrying on the scooter, are the type of tread I have always had on my c50. They wear very well, have good traction, have met my driving conditions here in up state ny(perd near to O Canada). Not to much use of truck in the winter though got caught out in early snow with trailer on. got home as long as I kept momentum up. A good 8'' of wet snow.
Hay thanks for the 'wheel link', it brings back some scary memory's and some fun story's but most of all it should be a big Safety Book mark for any one Restoring an older Trucks or cars.
Also may be a link created or if there already is?, some reference to which the correct spoons and prey bars to be used with each style split rim there are not many shops left which can change these style wheels.
So many Do it your selfers my attempt with out proper safety considerations, example I had floor cage jump up and hit me in the chin. No brain damage or scars but I do have a life long respect for split rims!!!!.

I Personally will not attempt changing a split rim without a Cage, or 200 feet of hose a large field and EMT's standing by in the center splt rim case, or the 7 piece I did on a fork lift I still get shivers from that one.

It would also make a great reference for restoration.
Thanks again
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 PM   #98
badboy007

After seeing these pics in the photoshop section, I found this crewcab for sale outside of Cincy. It is in really good condition. Send me a PM if anyone wants the contact info
Attached Images

badboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #99
special-K
Special Order

Hey you all.This is a poll thread to see if there`s enough interest to start a new forum for these trucks.I`m seeing a lot of cool trucks and lots of interest.The problem is this is going nowhere towards getting a forum.Take all your trucks and post separate threads about them in the year appropriate forums.They are welcome there.At this point that is the only place for them.It`s all trucks in those years.If we see enough threads on larger trucks in all those forums it will show a separate forum is called for.Prolly just start out as all years combined and if it grows they can split off by years.Let`s make this happen.We all like the l`il pickumups,but let`s get these big,uns on the board...k?

Tim

Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #100
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I have just been using this thread as my "big truck forum"' I like 'em all, but I don't stray much from the 60-66 forum, so I would probably never see the others...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote