The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #1
No Handle Sam

Deluxe Cab Conversion

Last year we did a restromod conversion to our 48 Chevy 3100. 5.3 LS, 4 wheel disk brakes, coilovers, blah, blah, blah... The truck turned out nice and my wife drives it almost every day. (which is why I'm now working on a 49 for myself) Anyway... one of the things that we did was convert it from a 3 window to a 5 window "Deluxe" cab. This also turned out nice and made the truck much safer to drive without the big blindspots. The shop that did it had never done one before, but used what I believe is the conventional method of doing this (?) by cutting out the old corners and replacing them with new inner and out skins with the window cut outs. Again they did a nice job and you would never know that this truck wasn't originally a 5 window from the factory.

But after it was all done they told me that they would never do another one like this. After digging into it they discovered a few "seams" in the cab. (one on each A pillar and another one along the entire back of the cabe under the rear widow) They have a theory that these trucks were actually "convertibles" when the rolled down the assembly line. Then the tops were added per the build sheet if it was supposed to be a 3 window or a 5 window. I have no idea if this theory holds any water or not? But I thought it would be fun to throw it out there to hear everyones thoughts?

BTW... they say if they ever do another conversion this is how they would do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bSU9xoS-BE

Name:  IMG_3197.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  IMG_3443.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3445.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3644.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  51.6 KB
No Handle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Deluxe Cab Conversion

Nice change...looks good...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
mr48chev

Truck looks great. As far as them not wanting to do another one. I'd say that they may have underestimated the actual hours they would have tied up in the conversion to get it looking as perfect as it does.

The job is simple but those who have done it themselves will tell you to get it right it is tedious and time consuming.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
joedoh

great work!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
vintovka

I've driven 3 windows and it was a real challenge compared to a 5 window. Lane changes and backing up come to mind. There is no doubt in my mind that the 5 window is far safer and a no brainer by GM to increase rear view in ADs and most future trucks. Also it "makes" the look if you know what i mean and well worth all the OPs great work!!
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
No Handle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Truck looks great. As far as them not wanting to do another one. I'd say that they may have underestimated the actual hours they would have tied up in the conversion to get it looking as perfect as it does.

The job is simple but those who have done it themselves will tell you to get it right it is tedious and time consuming.
Let me rephrase... I think that they said they will never do another one like this again. Meaning that the next time they would replace the entire top rather then cut the new side windows into the 3 window cab.

I'm really interested to hear if anyone knows if this is how the factory really did it or not?
Old 03-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #7
Chris(NJ)

Very nice! Love the color too
Chris(NJ) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:02 AM   #8
mick53

I like my 3 window better. I think they look cooler but I have one. I drove mine as a daily for nine years with a convex mirror on it in SoCal. It wasn't that bad. I plan on passing everyone anyway.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
I've driven 3 windows and it was a real challenge compared to a 5 window. Lane changes and backing up come to mind. There is no doubt in my mind that the 5 window is far safer and a no brainer by GM to increase rear view in ADs and most future trucks. Also it "makes" the look if you know what i mean and well worth all the OPs great work!!
The first time I saw a 5 window truck I thought someone had added van windows to the corner. They just didn't match up with the back window! Over the years I've gotten used to it and it doesn't look as strange any more.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
vintovka

the side windows are usually the first things folks comment on and how much they like them. I see the Chinese are producing complete 5 window cabs but not 3 windows.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
No Handle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I like my 3 window better. I think they look cooler but I have one. I drove mine as a daily for nine years with a convex mirror on it in SoCal. It wasn't that bad. I plan on passing everyone anyway.
I hear what you are saying. I actually like the aesthetics of the 3 window cabs myself. But there is no doubt that the 5 windows are easier (or safer) to see out of without the big blindspots. That being said... the 49 that I'm working on is a 3 window and I'm leaving it that way.
Old 03-14-2020, 12:00 AM   #12
mr48chev

It's what you are used to as far as seeing out. I learned to drive in a 54 3100 5 window but don't remember looking out the quarter windows that much. My step father had a wood box he had built mounted behind and above the lean back that covered some of the window from view anyhow. I have probably 400 K miles on the 48 over the years many of them with it being chopped (it was my daily driver for over 20 years) Never had an issue with the blank spot. I actually have more blind spot issues with my BMW than the truck. Maybe because I am older and maybe because drivers seem to like to pace the BMW while driving in the blind spot.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
mick53

Quote:
It's what you are used to as far as seeing out. I learned to drive in a 54 3100 5 window but don't remember looking out the quarter windows that much. My step father had a wood box he had built mounted behind and above the lean back that covered some of the window from view anyhow. I have probably 400 K miles on the 48 over the years many of them with it being chopped (it was my daily driver for over 20 years) Never had an issue with the blank spot. I actually have more blind spot issues with my BMW than the truck. Maybe because I am older and maybe because drivers seem to like to pace the BMW while driving in the blind spot.
I'm with you there. The first 9 years I owned my 53 3 window was in southern California traffic. I have always worked construction and whatever I was driving could not usually see out the back window anyway. I grew up using my mirrors to drive with. My cab is in pretty rough shape. When I looked into a new cab they said they didn't make the 3 window but would patch the 5 window holes on the outside only. IMHO I just like the 3 window better. I have never done body work on this level but most of the things I do I haven't done before. For me it's the journey. Thank you for your time.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:42 PM   #14
Russell Ashley

Sam, your truck looks great. Just curious, Where did you have it done? I'm in Lawrenceville.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #15
No Handle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Sam, your truck looks great. Just curious, Where did you have it done? I'm in Lawrenceville.
PM sent.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:33 PM   #16
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
The first time I saw a 5 window truck I thought someone had added van windows to the corner. They just didn't match up with the back window! Over the years I've gotten used to it and it doesn't look as strange any more.
I changed mine up a little bit.

Brian
Attached Images

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-19-2020 at 10:40 PM.
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #17
nvrdone

brian - those windows look to be stock size - just re positioned. am I right?
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:41 AM   #18
sprworm12

[QUOTE=nvrdone;8698392]brian - those windows look to be stock size - just re positioned. am I right?

Appears that the back window opening was customized to a taller piece of glass
sprworm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #19
No Handle Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I changed mine up a little bit.

Brian
Great Job!! One of those mods that you look at and know something is up, but can't quite put your finger on what is different. (The best kind of custom touch)
Old 03-20-2020, 11:22 PM   #20
MARTINSR

The top is chopped 3.5 inches so the side ones are 3.5 inches shorter. The center one is about a half inch chopped being I lowered the bottom down to the body line. Then I widened it making the pillers between it and the corner windows only 4" where it was about 6".

Brian

Old 03-21-2020, 02:38 PM   #21
nvrdone

Brian: it looks damn good. looks like you've become a true Idahoan by the Boise State logo in the back window.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #22
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Brian: it looks damn good. looks like you've become a true Idahoan by the Boise State logo in the back window.
Yeah, all my cars have tinted rear windows and you couldn't see it so the truck worked being the rear window is as clear as can be. LOL

Brian

Old 03-21-2020, 04:25 PM   #23
MARTINSR

By the way on the widening of the center glass, I made all the posts the same, 4". We are talking with the doors on, between the quarter window and the door glass and between the door glass and the windshield are both 4" so I made them all the same. I was actually going to go more than that making the back to the corners sort of like the 57 Buick but decided against it.

Brian

Old 03-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #24
mr48chev

I'm thinking that Brian had to make his own quarter windows as you can't cut the stock ones with any normal glass cutting process.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:57 PM   #25
MARTINSR

Quote:
I'm thinking that Brian had to make his own quarter windows as you can't cut the stock ones with any normal glass cutting process.
I haven't cut them yet, but yes they are laminated new ones. The originals were tempered and you can't cut them. When I chopped it in 1974 I made plexi glass ones. Cut them heated them in my mom's stove laying in the original.

Brian
Attached Images