The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2003, 11:57 PM   #1
Stano

brake ?

Alright I got a problem with the front brakes on my 67. I switched it to 5 lug discs up front when I was building it and used all new or reman parts. My left front caliper seized last thursday and heated my rotor pretty good but didn't hurt it or the pads. I replaced the caliper today with another reman from a different parts store, ( I got into it with the butt pirates at O'Reilly's wouldn't warranty my caliper with less than 2000 miles on it) I put on the new caliper and took it for a drive and is still dragging but not anywhere near as bad as before. Now heres the scary part, when I hit the brakes it dives to the right. And it was the left caliper that was seized. It still wants to kinda dive to the right but again not near as bad as before. I am inclined to think I might have a blockage in the left front hose that is causing the fluid pressure not to release when the brake is let off, thus with pressure holding on the left the right is getting mega pressure when the brake is applied causing it to dive right. Sorry this is such a long post but I gotta figure this out tonight so I can fix it tomorrow cause the 67 is having to be my daily ride for a while and I got a show this weekend too. Thanks in advance for any input you good people might have.

Nice ride 67 Chevy C-10 LWB Built 350 TH-400

Wifes ride and family rig:
2001 Furd Expedition 5.4 Liter
Kickin back in Rolla,Mo. USA

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain" Mark Twain
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 12:25 AM   #2
Stano

Anyone? Hello (hears a distant echo)

Nice ride 67 Chevy C-10 LWB Built 350 TH-400

Wifes ride and family rig:
2001 Furd Expedition 5.4 Liter
Kickin back in Rolla,Mo. USA

"Do the thing you fear most and the death of fear is certain" Mark Twain
Old 06-02-2003, 04:45 AM   #3
jimfulco

Did you reuse the drum brake master cylinder. If so, the residual pressure valve in it may be causing the front brakes to drag.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
Glen

check to see that the pads move easily on the slides, look close to see if one is bent or binding the pad and keeping it from returning to its normal position. Make sure the caliper mount itself is not bent keeping the caliper tight against the rotor?
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:42 AM   #5
Stano

Thanks fellas but I figured it out. It was the hose had a blockage and wouldn't release pressure when the brakes were let off. All the stuff was new including spindles and all so I knew nuthin was bent or wore. I also knew I used the correct prop. valve and master and all too, so it had to be something fairly simple.