The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
72k20Farmtruck

Vortec 454 Swap Into an '82 K20 Silverado

Hi, just wondering what third party vortec efi harnesses people have used in the past. I have the 99 suburban that I pulled the 454 and 4l80e out of, with an ecm and harness, but I plan on buying a new, more standalone harness, to eliminate all the extras included in the stock harness. I have also read about the VATS, or vehicle anti theft system, that prevents the car from running if the key isn't identified properly. Anyways, has anybody used the harnesses from Howell EFI? Also, would anybody recommend me buying a new ecm from them, to eliminate the VATS?

http://howellefi.com/general-motors/...-transmission/

http://howellefi.com/general-motors/...supplied-core/

Thanks!
72k20Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:45 AM   #2
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Vortec 454 Swap Into an '82 K20 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72k20Farmtruck View Post
Hi, just wondering what third party vortec efi harnesses people have used in the past. I have the 99 suburban that I pulled the 454 and 4l80e out of, with an ecm and harness, but I plan on buying a new, more standalone harness, to eliminate all the extras included in the stock harness. I have also read about the VATS, or vehicle anti theft system, that prevents the car from running if the key isn't identified properly. Anyways, has anybody used the harnesses from Howell EFI? Also, would anybody recommend me buying a new ecm from them, to eliminate the VATS?

http://howellefi.com/general-motors/...-transmission/

http://howellefi.com/general-motors/...supplied-core/

Thanks!
Welcome to the forums 72K20farmtruck!

You would probably have better luck getting a response in the 1973-1987 section or in the Engine & Drivetrain section but here is my .02

I’ve used Howell for 4 projects (2 8.1Ls and 2 TBI) and been happy with them. Got a little frustrated with them on my second 8.1L harness because it was ordered identical to my first but they were completely different in terms of trunk lengths, etc. Regardless, after seeing other harnesses I still feel Howell is the best there is for the price. Their stock tunes are dialed in nicely as well. Both of my L18 8.1L’s run their in-house tunes and it is very clean, smooth and powerful tune! They could build a nice harness and take care of the tuning on your 99 L29 as well (your 1999 454 is a L29). Might as well just get an ECM from them and send yours in as an exchange core.

Member MTCK is building a square body 1991 crew cab with an L29 on a Howell harness as we speak. Check out this thread HERE. Not sure if he has actually received the harness yet or not.

Good luck with your project. L29’s are great engines!
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:38 AM   #3
72k20Farmtruck

Re: Vortec 454 Swap Into an '82 K20 Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
Welcome to the forums 72K20farmtruck!

You would probably have better luck getting a response in the 1973-1987 section or in the Engine & Drivetrain section but here is my .02

I’ve used Howell for 4 projects (2 8.1Ls and 2 TBI) and been happy with them. Got a little frustrated with them on my second 8.1L harness because it was ordered identical to my first but they were completely different in terms of trunk lengths, etc. Regardless, after seeing other harnesses I still feel Howell is the best there is for the price. Their stock tunes are dialed in nicely as well. Both of my L18 8.1L’s run their in-house tunes and it is very clean, smooth and powerful tune! They could build a nice harness and take care of the tuning on your 99 L29 as well (your 1999 454 is a L29). Might as well just get an ECM from them and send yours in as an exchange core.

Member MTCK is building a square body 1991 crew cab with an L29 on a Howell harness as we speak. Check out this thread HERE. Not sure if he has actually received the harness yet or not.

Good luck with your project. L29’s are great engines!
Awesome thanks so much! Thats all the info I was looking for! Gotta love these forums!
72k20Farmtruck is offline   Reply With Quote