The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #1
CUCV2

Best Headers for LS swap and stock frame

I am putting a 5.3L into a 1959 GMC with the Napco conversion and am trying to find some LS swap headers that will clear the steering box. I would think someone has been down this road but have yet to find any solid answers on the subject. I'd like a nice set of USA made headers that are of good quality if I could. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:39 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Best Headers for LS swap and stock frame

I don't know if these will work for your 4x4 or not, but it's a place to start. I have a set on my truck, though it's not a 4x4 and it has an IFS in it. The headers tuck close to the engine on it.

https://www.fabquest.com/tci-ls-and-...ic-coated.html
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
CUCV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I don't know if these will work for your 4x4 or not, but it's a place to start. I have a set on my truck, though it's not a 4x4 and it has an IFS in it. The headers tuck close to the engine on it.

https://www.fabquest.com/tci-ls-and-...ic-coated.html
Thanks for the link. I have the power steering box from CPP in the stock location which is the big hitch in the gidyup. The only thing I saw that looked like it would work are the LS swap block hugger headers. I went with Doug's Headers because they looked like a good quality set, were made in the USA, and there was actually a pretty good deal on a NOS set on ebay. At least I think it was. It was $287 shipped.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:59 PM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

I keep posting it but I don't know if anyone else beside me has done this. Corvette ZO6 exhaust headers are good for 500hp. They flow very well so no need for headers unless you just want the look of them. My LQ4 is mildly cammed and probably putting out so where near 350hp and runs like a champ with them.

I intend to have them ceramic coated to make them have a little more bling but other than that they work great and don't give you the hassle of trying to fit around the steering box.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
e015475

I've used the Corvette manifolds for other conversion projects - don't think they were ZO6 though. Believe the ZO6 have some sort of bifurcated exhaust port, but the earlier ones from the LS1 have a conventional exhaust dump flange welded to the manifold.

They are stamped stainless steel and double wall, but the exhaust flange can be cut off and a new one welded on to get the dump where you want it. I used a vband flange on the one I did

Overall the Corvette manifold is a pretty good solution with some flexibility where you put the dump
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
CUCV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
I've used the Corvette manifolds for other conversion projects - don't think they were ZO6 though. Believe the ZO6 have some sort of bifurcated exhaust port, but the earlier ones from the LS1 have a conventional exhaust dump flange welded to the manifold.

They are stamped stainless steel and double wall, but the exhaust flange can be cut off and a new one welded on to get the dump where you want it. I used a vband flange on the one I did

Overall the Corvette manifold is a pretty good solution with some flexibility where you put the dump

Thanks for the reply. I ended up pushing the engine further back and the headers I thought would fit are now too tight.

Are the corvette manifolds that you are speaking of off of a specific generation of Corvette?
Old 05-01-2020, 10:19 AM   #7
CUCV2

Something like this looks like it would work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS6-Cor...UAAOSwRQlXcq~n
Old 05-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
e015475

Those look like cast manifolds - it would be hard to change the dump location on those.

The ones I'm thinking of look like these off the first gen Corvette with the LS1 motor-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-LS...0AAOSwr6dejzTJ

They are a double wall construction all the way down to the dump flange but you can weld a new flange on them - they're stainless tube, not cast.
Old 05-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
CUCV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
Those look like cast manifolds - it would be hard to change the dump location on those.

The ones I'm thinking of look like these off the first gen Corvette with the LS1 motor-

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-LS...0AAOSwr6dejzTJ

They are a double wall construction all the way down to the dump flange but you can weld a new flange on them - they're stainless tube, not cast.

Thank you for the clarification. They do look like they would fit. Do you know what the bolt on piece is on the top?
Old 05-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #10
e015475

EGR I think.