The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2005, 01:20 PM   #1
72BLAZERDUDE

Tub weight

Does anybody know what a tub weighs with doors and double wall top. I hope the truck guys realize how easy they have it. Doing a 5/7 suspension drop on my sons truck and it was so easy to just take the bed off and have all that room to work in. I am getting ready to do a 4/6 drop on my 2wd and I guess there is just no easy way to do the back. It is such a pain to try to work from under the blazer. I thought about taking the tub off but I have to have it done in a week. Right now its my only transportation.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I would guess a bare tub wieghs 500lbs, top 350lbs, doors 40lbs each. One thing that you may want to consider is that a Blazer is not like a truck, you can easily take a cab off and a bed off and slap them back on, there is a good chance that if you took your tub off it would get thrown out of wack, you may have to play with body shims to get it right when you go to reinstall it. What kind of shape is your paint in? Can you risk door chips?
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Ive lowered both a swb 69 as well as my 2wd Jimmy. Honestly, you just have to get under it and do it. If you were out here, Id have you bring it over and put it on my lift. (central Cal)
I would point out to you that because of the weight of the top, you will have to put air bags on the rear or decide if you want it to ride corrsctly with the top on or off.
When you can, get the bags. I like my rear bags well enough that I am considering bagging the front as well.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
72BLAZERDUDE

Should have said I was using bags. After doing my sons truck I am not looking forward to trying to do the Blazer from underneath. I need to figure out how to get it up at least a foot or two in the air to have room to work underneath. I am going to take the rear end and trailing arms off while I am doing it. I was thinking about using some 8" concrete blocks under each corner. They should be able to support the weight with no problem. Going to try to do body bushings and gas tank replacement at the same time. Biggest problem is I just cant stand to put it back together dirty and unpainted. Got about a month before vacation when I was going to do it, so plenty of time to come up with ideas.