The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Would the Granny 4 sppeed stop you from buying this truck ?
Yes 12 13.64%
No 76 86.36%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 PM   #51
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Re: Would you buy this truck with ...

Just today, i parked next to a sqaure body K20 sitting on 35's and I peeked inside and saw the granny 4spd and I loved the truck even more! On my short/step C10, no I wouldn't want a granny 4spd, I really like to have a passenger car 4spd, as opposed to the 3 spd in it now. Better yet, make it a TKO 5speed!
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #52
dmjlambert

The transmission would not stop me. The non-stock intake/carburetor/air cleaner combo and open PCV system would be more of a turn off for me. That is a nice truck from what I can see, a lot prettier than mine. I'll bet they get and accept an offer since they have the make offer button enabled.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #53
StingRay

I have an SM465 4 speed in my 69 one ton dually and I love driving that truck.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #54
WorkinLonghorn

Wouldn't stop me as long as it was a New Process 435 Close Ratio 4spd. He doesn't say in the ad that it is a SM465. -BA
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #55
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Well as you can see the overwhelming majority of you that posted on here would not let the 4 speed deter them from buying the truck although a lot feel it is priced too high. Thanks everyone for posting as there were 54 posts in just 3 days. Just as foot note I was reading an article yesterday and it says only 18 % of Americans know how to drive a manual trans vehicle and only 3% of vehicles sold new these days have a manual trans.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #56
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

A manual trans is a theft deterrent. ..

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #57
tkeduk8r

I go out of my way for a manual trans... as long as I have a left knee that works....i get disappointed to find automatics in trucks I like 😁.... I have an nv4500 and np241 in my shed waiting for the right project
Mike
68 Buick Skylark Custom Conv., 350/TH400/2.56 In our family since '79
69 GMC 1500 SWB 2WD, 350/TH350/3.73 posi...
70 K10 SWB 4X4 4-sp,ps, pb, tilt, buckets, console, sliding back window (Need AC parts) WIP
72 Chevy K20 4x4 350/350/205/4.56 donor
72 Vette 350/M21/3.70 posi, triple black and super fast
84 Olds Cutlass Brougham 350/2004r/4.11 was Dad's
tkeduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:56 PM   #58
Econman

A c20 would be more appealing to me with a manual than an automatic, especially on the tree.. $0.02
Econman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #59
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Well as you can see the overwhelming majority of you that posted on here would not let the 4 speed deter them from buying the truck although a lot feel it is priced too high. Thanks everyone for posting as there were 54 posts in just 3 days. Just as foot note I was reading an article yesterday and it says only 18 % of Americans know how to drive a manual trans vehicle and only 3% of vehicles sold new these days have a manual trans.
Its not my money, yet if I had it and that thing passed my inspection I would not let anything hold me back.

You cant take the Greenbacks with you when you have to leave your truck, so why not make yourself happy. I miss my old metallic green Stump pulling coil rear end 1/2 ton. I was on my way when marriage hit and she got the old rusty thing. haha, i wonder whose junk yard it sits in now.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #60
toms68cst

I like my four speed. You feel like you are driving a real truck. The granny gear is handy once and awhile.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #61
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
A manual trans is a theft deterrent. ..
So is a leaky Q-jet and a bad starter
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #62
Coley

One thing about a manual trans....is that is 'delivers' more hp to the wheels than an automatic.....no torque converter slip at all, as long as your clutch is in good shape.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:13 AM   #63
Grumpy old man

Don't forget all the benefits of the lowly manual trans

Your a driver using both arms and both legs to drive one
Your health will increase with the physical work out compared to an auto
Your man card gets an extra star
You save money by canceling your gym membership
You can push start your truck with a dead battery
You could see a decrease in that beer belly from the activity
You can have a bit of the Nascar shifting experience even if it only takes you to 50 MPH in 2 blocks in 69 seconds
Your right hand has a good spot to rest on your girls knee while she's sitting next to you on that bench seat
Your manual will throw you back in the seat harder than any auto
You'll save money on insurance because you can't drive a manual in traffic and text at the same time
You'll save money by not buying an expensive stereo ,The real music is under the hood listening to that engine run thru the gears !

Last but not least Auto's are for girls !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #64
special-K
Special Order

With a manual you use the gear appropriate for the speed. You don't go driving across a parking lot in 4th the way you see idiots flying through in Drive, if not Overdrive. The people today drive like the peddle is an on/off switch. Hit the peddle and go hard till you run up on something slower. It's mindless and compulsive behavior. The person in a manual vehicle has to think about what gear they are in or they aren't driving. Each shift is a decision the driver makes, not the car. The world would be a better and safer place to drive and be a pedestrian if there were no automatics. Might not have ever been so many cars and drivers on the road if automatics never came along. The driving world opened up to all with the advent of the automatic transmission. There have always been those who can not drive a manual, even back when that's all there was.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #65
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
With a manual you use the gear appropriate for the speed. You don't go driving across a parking lot in 4th the way you see idiots flying through in Drive, if not Overdrive. The people today drive like the peddle is an on/off switch. Hit the peddle and go hard till you run up on something slower. It's mindless and compulsive behavior. The person in a manual vehicle has to think about what gear they are in or they aren't driving. Each shift is a decision the driver makes, not the car. The world would be a better and safer place to drive and be a pedestrian if there were no automatics. Might not have ever been so many cars and drivers on the road if automatics never came along. The driving world opened up to all with the advent of the automatic transmission. There have always been those who can not drive a manual, even back when that's all there was.
Well said.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #66
jfnar

My great uncle would not drive an automatic when they came out. He said that anyone that was that lazy was shiftless.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #67
Red71gmc

I have had many granny 4 speeds for work trucks. I still have a 91 chevy ton truck that I've owned for several years although it doesn't see a lot of miles other than work. Good all around trucks and I have never seen that transmission fail. Loose and sloppy but not fail.
I would not want one for my daily driver as I'm spoiled and prefer the autos for ease. However, better fuel economy while working them harder is hard to dismiss. A new clutch once in awhile and go and that is only if your using it past its intention. Which is easy to do when you have a low hole to make her move way overloaded.
Red71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:52 AM   #68
mike16

silly question...

move on or buy it and switch it over to an NP4500.

dont ask us because right away; your into this hobby based how others make you feel and thats not a hobby thats a pychological need. When you get board with us you and your psychological need will move on. You will be for ever seeking the approval of others rather than the satisfaction of simply owning , in this case a really nice truck.

not trying to be a chit or anything but we all ought to evaluate our selves every once in a while to make sure this is a health relaxing hobby. buying a truck just to do the cruise night or cars and coffee thing will get boring by the end of summer. Its not about acceptance or approval. People will manipulate you through that vulnerability if you let them. Healthy people brag about it, (BS'er's aside) Nurotic types seek the approval of others. This is a Hobby not 6th grade.

I like a four speed and would keep it so if the truck were origonal but otherwise put a 4500 in it.

Last edited by mike16; 08-11-2018 at 01:57 AM.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #69
special-K
Special Order

The OP knows he does not want this truck based on it having a 4spd. A decision he made entirely on his own. I gather he really liked it and was really disappointed to find the 4spd, which got him to wondering if others feel as strongly as him. All just a matter of a poll to satisfy his curiosity. It's been interesting to see the different responses.

But I hear you on the what kind of wheels is everyone buying, Should I leave it long, etc questions ................................. <

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #70
leddzepp

Quote:
But I hear you on the what kind of wheels is everyone buying, Should I leave it long, etc questions ................................. <
Here’s my favorite:

Hey gang! New guy here! First post! Look forward to being here for a long time! By the way, what’s my truck worth that I just bought this morning so I can flip it tonight?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:12 PM   #71
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
The OP knows he does not want this truck based on it having a 4spd. A decision he made entirely on his own. I gather he really liked it and was really disappointed to find the 4spd, which got him to wondering if others feel as strongly as him. All just a matter of a poll to satisfy his curiosity. It's been interesting to see the different responses.

Thank you Tim. Yes your thoughts are exactly what I was thinking when i stared this thread/poll and i agree its has had some interesting responses..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 08-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #72
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
silly question...

move on or buy it and switch it over to an NP4500.

dont ask us because right away; your into this hobby based how others make you feel and thats not a hobby thats a pychological need. When you get board with us you and your psychological need will move on. You will be for ever seeking the approval of others rather than the satisfaction of simply owning , in this case a really nice truck.

not trying to be a chit or anything but we all ought to evaluate our selves every once in a while to make sure this is a health relaxing hobby. buying a truck just to do the cruise night or cars and coffee thing will get boring by the end of summer. Its not about acceptance or approval. People will manipulate you through that vulnerability if you let them. Healthy people brag about it, (BS'er's aside) Nurotic types seek the approval of others. This is a Hobby not 6th grade.

I like a four speed and would keep it so if the truck were origonal but otherwise put a 4500 in it.

I was never wanting to buy this truck and I don't need anyones opinion or approval to make a decision on what Ii want to buy. If you read Special K's response right under your original post he has it figured out. I do agree that sometimes people post threads looking for opinions on things to help them make up their mind.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #73
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Here’s my favorite:

Hey gang! New guy here! First post! Look forward to being here for a long time! By the way, what’s my truck worth that I just bought this morning so I can flip it tonight?
PM sent.

I bought a steering wheel from LMC, is that ok? I know I should have asked first

Tim

Old 08-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #74
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I don't remember asking for opinions before I bought my truck. I do remember getting help from Shawn as he took the truck for a roadtrip checkup before I arrived to pick it up..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=648411