The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
evilokc

dash removal

my dash has been cut up for modern gauges and so forth. I would like to restore it to a more original looking dash and need to remove it to cut and weld on it. has anyone done this? I hear its a few screws and a couple spot welds. if anyone has advice or knows where there is some reading can do on the subject I would appreciate it.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: dash removal

it has many spot welds under the windshield rubber, then under the dash both side-close to the vent discharge , there is a strap that is brazed (both my cabs anyway maybe spot welded on others) onto the pillar. here is a bunch of parts after sandblasting, the dash is in there and you can see the bracket I am talking about. hopefully you can zoom in otherwise pm me your email address and I will send you that pic and others to your personal email. my dash is still out so I can snap a pic of whatever.
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
dsraven

it would be a lot easier to weld in place unless it is reallyhacked up and thenmaybe just replace it with a new one if you gotta take it out anyway. unless you have lots of free time on your hands. they sell replacement panels as well if it is a radio hole hack job.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:51 PM   #4
dsraven

here is a pic of the cab with the dash removed. the strap that i was talking about, under each end of the dash, connect the hinge pillar with the area above the heater inlet plus attach the ends of the dash to the cab. it wasn't connected to anything on the front portion of that bracket on this cab due to a collision years ago. you can see the outline of where it went. the marks on the rear edge of where the bracket attached to the hinge pillar, roughly in line with the hinge bolts, are spot welds. then just a rusty mark on the panel just ahead of a vertical line in front of the hinge pillar.ahead and above the black mark.
you can see there is a spot weld every couple of inches across the width of the windshield pinch weld under the rubber. the dash has several areas, where the vents are located, that are really quite narrow so not much metal to work with there. see the other pic for details.
make sense?
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
it would be a lot easier to weld in place unless it is reallyhacked up
this. i did a lot of dash mods without removing my dash

it helps if we know what your working on

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature