The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
COLEFORBUS

Basic Question on Changing Power Steering Pump

I replaced the power steering gear, hoses, and power steering pump. I filled up the reservoir with power steering fluid, started the truck, turned the wheel back and forth to run any air out of the lines, topped off the fluid.

After driving it around the block and parked it I noticed a leak. I check the hoses, no leaks from return or pressure hose at pump or at steering gear. I topped it off with fluid again, and the leak persisted.

I go to the Advance auto parts and swap out the AC Delco pump for a new one and bolt it on. Same thing happens. So by now I am scratching my head and examining everything very closely. I think the power steering pump is leaking at the seal, which was probably refurbished.

Before I take the pump off and take it down to Advance Auto, is there something I am doing wrong? Step I am missing? Trick I could try?

Help me out fellas, I know its probably simple to yall but I am stumped

Thanks,

Cole
COLEFORBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
rsavage

Re: Basic Question on Changing Power Steering Pump

It has been my experience on a system that has had leaks and been opened up and lost a good deal of fluid, that the pump will push a good deal of fluid out of the top (cap) as the air is purged. Your pumps are probably fine but the system full of air. Put the front up on jack stands and leave the cap loose. With the engine running, turn the wheel lock to lock slowly many times. Shut the engine off and let it sit with the cap loose or off for awhile and repeat. You should get to the point where the level in the pump is holding, the oil isn't foamy, and the air is purged. It can be messy.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #3
COLEFORBUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
It has been my experience on a system that has had leaks and been opened up and lost a good deal of fluid, that the pump will push a good deal of fluid out of the top (cap) as the air is purged. Your pumps are probably fine but the system full of air. Put the front up on jack stands and leave the cap loose. With the engine running, turn the wheel lock to lock slowly many times. Shut the engine off and let it sit with the cap loose or off for awhile and repeat. You should get to the point where the level in the pump is holding, the oil isn't foamy, and the air is purged. It can be messy.
Thank you, I will give it another shot before I try to replace the pump again.
COLEFORBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
vectorit
What?

Make sure your hose fittings don't have a ding or chip in the flare, that is where they seal and if there is a bit of imperfection it could leak past the nut.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote