The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
MASTERBrian

Drop spindle install

I am getting ready to install my cpp drop spindles on my 1960 suburban. I've watched a few videos and it appears some applications the ball joints get taken out, others they don't. Do I need to remove them on my '60? They look to be riveted in, so they may be original, from what I can tell they seem ok so I hate to replace if I don't have to.

Any pointers here? Does the control arm drop once the ball joints are loose or not? Amazingly enough I've never removed a spindle before.

Again, I realize I might kick myself for not replacing, but as I'm sure everyone is aware, they aren't cheap. Now, if I do replace where's the place to buy them? LMC carries them, but no idea on quality.

Thanks
MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
jweb

Re: Drop spindle install

I just installed a set of spindles from performance online and they used 73-87 ball joints. I think the CPP work the same but could be wrong.

I fought the lowers for hours and finally just cut them off leaving a piece in the old spindle. Yours may not be as hard to get out especially if you have a way to heat them up. Either way I would replace the ball joints, you're already there and they don't cost much

You can also borrow the ball joint tool from Autozone if there's one near you.
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I just installed a set of spindles from performance online and they used 73-87 ball joints. I think the CPP work the same but could be wrong.

I fought the lowers for hours and finally just cut them off leaving a piece in the old spindle. Yours may not be as hard to get out especially if you have a way to heat them up. Either way I would replace the ball joints, you're already there and they don't cost much

You can also borrow the ball joint tool from Autozone if there's one near you.

ACTUALLY! On a '60 front end they are on the expensive side. LMC has the upper at $59.95 each and the lower at $99.25 each. Unless there is a cheaper way to buy them. I'm still debating just biting the bullet.

I know a lot of people warned of that when I decided to stick with the original front end, so I'll own it, but I couldn't justify $400 for a newer style front end and that's what the local salvage is wanting and I'd still be replacing parts I'm certain!

I'll Edit and say O'reilly's wants $252 for the lower and $95 for the upper. EACH!!! But if I look online I might have found them cheaper if the upper is indeed K680. Not having the luck on the lower joints, but I did find a place called A-Resto-Parts and they have a new c10 front end suspension rebuild kit for $249.99+ $23.50 shipping and it seems to included all four ball joints, and the left and right tie rod parts. No clue on their quality though.

Last edited by MASTERBrian; 02-26-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:43 PM   #4
jweb

The first step would be to find out what ball joints the spindles take. The 73-87 are way cheaper.

Do your spindles have a part number on them ?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
jweb

Here's all 4 ball joints for $180
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-1961-19...VYL~CI&vxp=mtr

Those 60 ball joints are expensive, but I would still replace them
Old 02-27-2017, 12:11 AM   #6
MASTERBrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
The first step would be to find out what ball joints the spindles take. The 73-87 are way cheaper.

Do your spindles have a part number on them ?
I'd assume they use the stock ones, no one ever said any different. I'll get part number tomorrow.

It'd be awesome if I could go with the cheaper ones.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #7
jweb

If the spindles are CP4S1 (which they should be) they use the stock 1960 ball joints.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:46 AM   #8
MASTERBrian

Thanks. I'll check tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
MASTERBrian

Mine are CP4S4 R
Old 02-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #10
MASTERBrian

Well, just spoke with CPP and it appears Summit messed up and sent me the wrong parts. Glad I asked about the install now, I'd probably sitting here scratching my head if/when things didn't work out.

I also found that they sell a complete front end kit for just over $300, so that's not too bad for all new parts!!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #11
jweb

Well it's good you found out before you tried to install them.

$300 for the front end parts doesn't seem too bad. On my previous project I tried to be cheap on everything and now I've done some things 2 or 3 times. I would just do it all at once, even if you have to wait for funds to allow it. I think you will be much happier with the result.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
MASTERBrian

The worst thing is they are saying the parts for both the spindles and the front end kit won't be available to ship until 4/4....OUCH!!

I have also been waiting to figure out what to do about the Master/booster until the engine goes in, but it's the same 4/4 ship date. Wasn't planning on spending this much, but it will be nice that this portion of the build will be done and done correctly. I just hope the rear end isn't the same story!!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
jweb

Maybe you can return the spindles and try a different supplier.

Also, for the booster and MC, Captinfab on here makes a bracket then you can use an off the shelf booster and MC. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=357542

You may want to post in the 60-66 section to see if anyone knows of a good source for the '60 front end parts. My suburban is a '64 so I'm not that familiar with them
Old 02-27-2017, 06:31 PM   #14
MASTERBrian

If I'm honest, a few weeks won't set me back too much to hit my goals, so for now I'll stay with what I have.
For the booster/MC, I have CaptinFab's bracket on my truck and I'll likely go off the shelf, but to be honest, they aren't that much cheaper than buying CCP kit.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
jweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTERBrian View Post
If I'm honest, a few weeks won't set me back too much to hit my goals, so for now I'll stay with what I have.
For the booster/MC, I have CaptinFab's bracket on my truck and I'll likely go off the shelf, but to be honest, they aren't that much cheaper than buying CCP kit.
I would suggest buying them locally. I bought a kit for my '51 years ago and it wasn't long before I was replacing them with parts from NAPA due to the low quality.

Also, the local store may be easier to deal with on returns or warranty issues.

If you do order one you might try this place.
http://piratejack.net/