The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
martinez_559

Old truck and insurance

I got my in an accident with my 1973gmc,not my fault. Just want to know how some of your experience have been with insurance and old trucks.
martinez_559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:41 AM   #2
abig84

Re: Old truck and insurance

Lot of factors come into play. My experience is they just go off the blue book value. I totally my 1990 twice. First time was probably worthy of it as someone turned in front of me and it pushed the front end in about 3 inches. Second time I got t-boned and ended up with a large dent in the bed ( like someone ran full speed and kicked it) and they totalled it for that, I just popped it out a few days later at work.

So if your truck has a low blue book value they will pretty much total it if it involves any kinda repairs. No idea if you have a really nice classic truck how that would work
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

There was a thread not too long ago on exactly this topic. Short answer, that insurance company tried to low ball the victim, he passed, submitted several repair estimates + several CL listings with similar trucks to establish a much better value.

If your truck is a rolling rust monster that leaves a smoke screen and oil slick in its wake, you are probably stuck with the low settlement. Otherwise, be polite and present your evidence for a higher value.

Learn your state's rules for totaled vehicles. Even if they total it, you might be able to buy it back and repair it.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

and in addition to what dead parrot said if the OTHER persons insurance company is paying they DO NOT have a right to salvage your truck you can insist that you keep and repair Do plenty of due diligence to make sure that you get fair market value

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
WarpathEngineering

My 78 was hit this past year. Just minor damage but on a rust free original paint truck.....still blowing steam over that. Anyway, my brother happens to be a manager of a body shop and he was able to pad the estimate a little bit but said he couldn't go too far for fear of the insurance company totalling the truck. To be on the safe side I had to find out what the state valued the truck at and he basically wrote a bid that was just shy of that amount. Luckily it was enough to cover the damage although not enough to pay for a NOS bedside.

Might go looking for classic car insurance after the repairs are made this spring. Good luck with yours.
1998 GMC Sierra SL K2500 2002-2010
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD LBZ 2010-Present
1978 Chevy Silverado K20 2016-Present
WarpathEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote