The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
1968aj

rear mount fuel tak

I need to replace my in cab fuel tank. it looks fairly new but is leaking at sending unit and somewhere on filler tube . I filled it up and drove home and saw gas dripping under drivers door.it is not safe to drive. I know there are many threads and I read a lot of them. looking to find the latest and easiest swap. looking for info such as side or top fill and how to plumb it without 20 trips to parts store truck is a 69 swb stepside. any ideas or reference to a thread on this is appreciated.
Attached Images

1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 AM   #2
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Re: rear mount fuel tak

I prefer side fill because I use my bed. Any time I've seen a top fill it has collected. Debris from the bed around the filler. I've never heard any complaints about the boyd welding fuel tanks.

A side fill with a modern fuel door is a great option before paint and bodywork but I'm sure something could be rigged up inside the fender behind the tire.
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
Ironhorse

When I moved my in-cab tank to under the bed I also needed to change the fuel fill. Since the body work on the bed had already been done and was in primer (body shop guys got ahead of me on that) I did not want to have the body work redone so opted for this approach. Think it turned out well and get some strange looks as I fill the truck with the gas pump line appearing to dump into the bed. Still have the use of the bed without having to unload items if I need to gas up.

I used a fuel fill from a early 90's Chevy van for the mount, soldered a few copper plumbing elbows and fittings to make the turns as needed and then fuel rated flex hose. The vent lines from the tank I mounted up under the wheel well openings using adel clamps and the original bolt holes. Fills quick with no back flow problems. The tank I got from GMC Paul, poly tank, 21 gal.

Should be no problem to do similar with a step side altho the fenders are out of the box.
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #4
72LSLB

I'm looking at biting the bullet and doing the Boyds tank and complete fuel line parts option; yes its expensive but do it once and your done. Unless I can find a link on this forum that's has a good design for a lot less money.... :-)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
truckman72

I put a 69 camaro tank in mine. It fits perfectly in the back of the frame under the bed. It works perfectly. We also have a 90s chrome S10 bumper on the back. I personally think that it looks great on the back of the stepsides, but others might have their own opinions.....
Attached Images

1969 Chevy Stepside
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=392738
truckman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
1968aj

wondering if the Camaro tank fits without any frame mods? I was considering this or the boyd tank. did you run a one piece fuel line to fuel pump?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:08 PM   #7
1968aj

I see a aluminum fuel tank kit on ebay sold by BIDSMART247. has anyone used this? I don't know how to add a link to it
Old 02-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #8
truckman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968aj View Post
wondering if the Camaro tank fits without any frame mods? I was considering this or the boyd tank. did you run a one piece fuel line to fuel pump?
We didn't have to modify the frame at all. We just attached the tank to the steel tubeing and used the straps that came with it then attached he tubes to the frame. We have a 5.3L LS in it so the fuel pump is in the tank but you should be able to run a one piece up to the engine.

1969 Chevy Stepside
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=392738
truckman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:08 PM   #9
1968aj

thanks everyone. I think I am going to order a Camaro tank. I like the rear fill .sounds easier than cutting holes in bed for side or top fill. looks like a cheaper option also.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
jessemthompson

I was going to run the camaro tank in my truck. I liked the idea of the license plate full vs the bed fill. The issue that stopped me was my exhaust routing. I ended up going with the boys tank and I haven't regretted it. Pricey, but a great investment for my truck.
jessemthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
MLB57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemthompson View Post
I was going to run the camaro tank in my truck. I liked the idea of the license plate full vs the bed fill. The issue that stopped me was my exhaust routing. I ended up going with the boys tank and I haven't regretted it. Pricey, but a great investment for my truck.
I'm in the middle of this project to. Was the factory exhaust the problem my exhaust is totally stock routing
Posted via Mobile Device
MLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote