The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #1
americanmusc1e

Thinking of selling my entire 4x4 conversion. Need thoughts

Two years ago I took my rusting truck apart to fix some rust, and ended up buying a 69 K20 off of craigslist for $500. The cab was OK, but the drivetrain was complete except for the removal of the original 292 six. Fast-forward to today. With the help of an 84 K10, the drivetrain is nearly complete. But now I'm broke and I live in the city three hours away from my truck. I can't afford tires for the thing, much less to finish it. I'm considering selling the 4x4 drivetrain complete, and using the money to finish the truck by plopping my almost refinished cab on my 2wd frame and adding a 5.3/auto drivetrain.

I have no idea what this thing is worth, of if anyone would ever want it. It is not correct for the pirate guys. I had to compromise with 1/2 ton axles and a NP208. Does anybody have an opinion? Am i crazy for giving up now? Is it worth anything. I really don't want to sell the truck. It's been my baby since I was 16.

Frame: original K20 with some crap welded on the back for a flatbed (not me). with 84 v8 engine crossmember, sanded down to the metal and spray painted

Front lift: 84 K10 springs with extended shackles and 1" recentering blocks. (I know this has been done before, but personally I don't like it and I'm worried about caster angles)

Rear Lift: ORD shackle flip with stock 84 K10 springs and 1" spacers

Front Axle: completely rebuilt 10-bolt with new hubs, u-joints, and all bearings. 3.73 gears

Rear axle: stock 2wd 12-bolt with new perches welded on and lock-rite differential

T-case: the best of two NP208s with new shift fork pads

Transmission: completely rebuilt 32-spline SM465 with billet RAM flywheel and RAM clutch

Engine: 383 smallblock with scat crank, flat-top pistons, and h-beam rods. Was my old "racing" engine, now detuned with a smaller cam and big chamber 487 heads.

Still needs:

Tires, Shocks, tie rods, and front driveshaft

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
obijuan

Re: Thinking of selling my entire 4x4 conversion. Need thoughts

take a break. if youre like me, you will regret it later.

put everything away for a while protected and just step back.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

Take a break big projects get to you after awhile
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
johnwaynejeep

I've regretted selling the vehicles that I've been most attached too. So I agree that you should consider taking a break and see how you feel in a couple weeks, months, whatever.

If you're determined to sell it, then I think there is a market for the 80's drivetrains. they can be made to fit under a number of vehicles. I know a lot of people put 55-59 Chevy truck bodies on the 80's rolling chassis so they get the benefit of reliable, easy to find parts. As for the cost, I have no idea. but I don't think you'll have a problem finding interested buyers. Talk to local mechanics who may know people in need of this. You can also try web forums dedicated to 4x4's, 55-59 chevy's and of course craigslist.
Smittybilt front/rear bumper, 10K winch
Pacific Grove, CA
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
68Bowtie4x4

Like the other folks have said previously, just take a break from it and gain a better perspective when you resume working on it.

You'll be super happy with it once you have it completed and are able to drive it.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
1tuff71

Let me share my story. I bought mine back in 2006 and planned to just put a lift and tires and call it good. The truck was pretty cherry when I got it ( lived in California before moving to S. Carolina ) so it really didn't need much but I tore it apart as soon as I got home and then health reasons put it on hold and I'm still finishing putting it back together, and I put 10 times the money and time into it than what I had planned. BUT, I have what I wanted and more, it just took time. Don't get to bummed if this is your hobby. Just like most have said....step back and take some time to think about it before you make a final decision. You could be sorry. Good luck dude.
1tuff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:06 PM   #7
OrrieG

I bought my 59 in 76, converted to 4wd (74 drive train) in 85 and took it off the road in 2000 to spend the summer doing body work and paint. 14 years later it is still in the garage, but running and I am doing the final blocking for paint. Took it apart a little, decided to do the frame, go too busy at work and with house project to work on it. Hit it hard it 2007 and early 08 before the economy puked. Since then its been $100 at a time. I never considered selling it, I too have the regrets of previous rigs, including a 57 210 street racer and 57 stepside towing rig I sold in 70 when I was drafted; and a 41 Chevy I sold in the 90's.

Bundle it up until the time you can afford to finish it, you will not be able to replace it later for what you will sell it for. Start a coffee can fund and contribute towards the completion. You didn't share your circumstances, but this might be the call to figure out how to get in a better place financially.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
jjzepplin

Sounds like your almost there. Why not finish it and get at least have a running under it's own power rig to sell and get twice the money if you still want to sell. I bet you tap the accelerator a couple times and you change your mind. Have someone in a 4x4 take you for a joy ride over some big lumps and reconsider. I kept mine after a big accident and now it is better than ever. You can always build a 2wd. Hard to get everything together and right for a good 4x4. Something will happen and you will find the money to get it going.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
Sounds like your almost there. Why not finish it and get at least have a running under it's own power rig to sell and get twice the money if you still want to sell. I bet you tap the accelerator a couple times and you change your mind. Have someone in a 4x4 take you for a joy ride over some big lumps and reconsider. I kept mine after a big accident and now it is better than ever. You can always build a 2wd. Hard to get everything together and right for a good 4x4. Something will happen and you will find the money to get it going.
My K20 project took so long that I was entirely frustrated, and considered dropping it for a small car.

Ever since I got to drive it I am re-fired up to finish it up.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
jjzepplin

I guess I am lucky as I have a little Toy*** to drive to work. I only drive my truck on my days off and to tow trailers and such. The occasional joy ride to put a smile on my face is priceless. I love how the front jumps in the air almost when I tap the accelerator. Then I go home and look for something on it I can fix up a bit to make me smile even more. Then I look over at the 2wd Blazer and wonder how happy that one will make me...Finish it! Wish I could come take you for a ride.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote