The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
landy

Suspension lift kit recommendations

Looking for recommendations/opinions for a mild suspension lift, i.e., 2 in. or so for a '71 GMC K1500. Springs, bushings, etc.

Thanks!
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Suspension lift kit recommendations

All I can recommend is the only one I'm familiar with -- Skyjacker Softride (2 1/2"). I put 'em on the front of my K20 several years ago because the OEM springs were sagging badly. Quality is excellent, ride is decent, and I still have no complaints. Only difficulty was the bushing inserts (they use poly bushings BTW) were a smidge too long for the front hangers, and I had to grind them off a bit so they'd fit. I never did install the rear blocks. They also make 4-spring kits if you plan on replacing the rear springs too.

On a related note, you'll need longer front shocks. Just so happens that stock rear shocks are the correct length for a 2" to 2.5" front lift. No other changes needed -- steering arm is OK and brake hoses are long enough.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
landy

Thanks! Front and rear springs aren't actually too bad. It's the rubber bushings and shocks that are pretty well shot, so I thought I may as well replace everything and get a mild lift to go with it.

So you're kit was front springs only? No driveshaft issues?
Old 10-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
So you're kit was front springs only? No driveshaft issues?
Front springs and rear blocks, and new u-bolts & locknuts all around. No driveshaft issues at all -- the only issues were grinding the bushing inserts and replacing front shocks as noted above.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 10-18-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
ryanroo

i have tuff country 2.5" springs in the front of my k20. it was a no issues install. not the smoothest set of springs i have ever had. i have rancho 2.5" lift springs for a square body k30 in my jeep and they are better.

i have also installed 4" rough country springs in my other K20. also an easy install, but i have yet to get the truck out of the garage, and i pulled them in favor of a different set up, so i can't comment on the ride.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
landy

On these 2.5-inch lifts, no need for a different pitman arm or other steering components? Why the rear blocks instead of springs?
Old 10-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
On these 2.5-inch lifts, no need for a different pitman arm or other steering components?
No recommendation came with the kit, and I found no need for anything.

Quote:
Why the rear blocks instead of springs?
Money. Blocks are cheaper than springs.

In my case, my rear spring packs, which include AALs I installed many years ago, were still in good shape and *might* have greater load capacity than new lift springs. I have since added Hellwig overloads too. A working-class K20 might as well be stout...

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 10-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
ryanroo

i have no correction on my 2.5" lift. the truck has a dana 60 in the front. i bought a correction block for it when i did the install. after getting it back on the ground i left it off. everything looked fine and it drives just fine.

generally, depending on the use of the vehicle i advocate for springs front and rear, for anything over 2.5-3" the block doesnt seem to have much in the way of negative efffect in my experience at that height. and they are easy to find. a lot of oems used a block about that height in the rear of trucks. my k20 uses blocks from a dodge 2500.

over that 2.5"-3" range and the blocks are a little tall. they will add a lot of leverage to the natural reaction the axle housing has to torque input. that causes spring wrap and axle hop. none of which is good.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote