The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Andyboy

Running board brackets

Was wondering if the 2 ton (47-53) running board brackets fit the 1/2 ton trucks? Has anyone used them?
Andyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
mknittle

Re: Running board brackets

They won't work. the 1/2 ton frames are tapered from the front to rear and the 3/4 ton up are parilell. Besides that the 2 ton likely are lower.

If you need a set try to find somone doing a S10 frame swap. the repop ones are sort of expencive.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 03-14-2013 at 10:53 AM.
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
mr48chev

If I had the two ton brackets on hand I'd sure want to check and see if they would work. It wouldn't take a lot of effort to bolt them up to the 1/2 ton frame and set the running boards on them for a look see.

I"m pretty sure that the distance from the floor board of the truck to the top surface of the running boards are the same. I can check that real quick when I get home from work.

As Mknittle said previously the 3/4 and up frames run pretty straight from the front cab mount bracket to the rear of the frame rails while the 1/2 ton trucks taper out but most of that taper starts close to the back of the cab.

Here you can see the long bed 1/2 ton (yes GMC but it will get a Chev crossmember) frame that is going under my stretched cab. Note that the taper really starts at the back of the cab while it tapers slightly up to that point from the cab mount brackets back.

As I said, I'd sure try them if I had them and you may only be looking for the rear two. A bit of shimming or a little rework on the other brackets might make those work too. They all should mount at the same distance from the top of the frame rails and any difference in depth of the frame rails will be below the mounting points.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
mknittle

I have sets of 47-53 1/2 and 3/4 ton brackets plus compleate 5 1/2, 3 3/4 and 1 one ton trucks. not ot mention 2 mid 40s 2 tons.

The 3/4 and one tons brackets are all the the same. The 1/2 tons are longer at the front than the center and the rear are shorter yet. because the 1/2 ton frames are narrower at the front than the back.

My GMC build.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
If I had the two ton brackets on hand I'd sure want to check and see if they would work. It wouldn't take a lot of effort to bolt them up to the 1/2 ton frame and set the running boards on them for a look see.

I"m pretty sure that the distance from the floor board of the truck to the top surface of the running boards are the same. I can check that real quick when I get home from work.

As Mknittle said previously the 3/4 and up frames run pretty straight from the front cab mount bracket to the rear of the frame rails while the 1/2 ton trucks taper out but most of that taper starts close to the back of the cab.

Here you can see the long bed 1/2 ton (yes GMC but it will get a Chev crossmember) frame that is going under my stretched cab. Note that the taper really starts at the back of the cab while it tapers slightly up to that point from the cab mount brackets back.

As I said, I'd sure try them if I had them and you may only be looking for the rear two. A bit of shimming or a little rework on the other brackets might make those work too. They all should mount at the same distance from the top of the frame rails and any difference in depth of the frame rails will be below the mounting points.
The long bed 1/2 ton must be the same as the 3/4 ton. I can't remember seeing a long bed 1/2 ton around here. sorta like 2wd jeep cherokees.

My GMC build.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
GeorgeLeonard

Are the sets of brackets really different from side to side? I know that the parts houses use different parts numbers for left and right but I dont see much difference between them. Sorry if this is an ignorant question. I only have four with the front left side missing and the rear right side missing (1953 half ton short bed). If I could buy just one set of brackets for either side, it would cut my cost in half and I would only have one bracket left over. Just trying to save a little money.
GeorgeLeonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
mr48chev

I believe that they are stamped at a slight angle to compensate for the angle of the frame rails.

Each position is also a bit different so the bracket has to go in that position.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
nebdrummer

1 ton and 3/4 ton brackets are the same. I just took a rest one off a 1 ton with pickup sheet metal, and it was the same as my 3/4 ton.

At least I think the truck was a one ton because it had 8 lug wheels and a huge rear end.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380212
nebdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote