The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > WIW

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
bogeycentral

71 C10 Shorty Value?

So I had tried to sell this truck locally for some time now and about the highest offer I have received was around $7k. Maybe I am completely out of touch with the market on it. Thinking that it is like a honda, where no matter how much you put into it, its still a $7k truck.

The truck has a new interior in it which really stands out. I have invested a lot of time and effort into this truck and it shows. I just had the turbo 400 rebuilt in it roughly 400 miles ago and installed new Wrangler 235/75/R15 tires. Just installed brand new weather stripping on the window channels and door seals on both doors. Also installed all new door hardware including striker plates, latches and side marker light assemblies. The headlight switch and turn signal harness has also been replaced as well as a new battery, alternator and a starter.

Modifications:
Rebuilt Turbo 400 transmission
BBC Chevy 454 engine
Aluminum Radiator
Power Steering
Front Disc Brakes
MSD 6AL Ignition
Holley Street Avenger Carb
Borla XR-1 Dual 2.5" exhaust
Hooker Comp Headers
Accel 8.8mm plug wires
EZ-Wiring harness for whole truck
New Interior carpet kit including floors, gas tank and kick panels
New sound deadening kit on the floors & gas tank
Factory Bench Seats
Lokar Billet Brake & E-Brake Pedals
Lokar Billet Gas Pedal assembly
Lokar Hood Release assembly
New Turn Signal harness
New Dash Pad
Billet Glove Box Door Cover
Billet Gauge Cover
Grant Steering Wheel
New Door Panels
New Door Arm Rests
New Window Cranks
New Door Handles inside
New Rear View Mirror
New Sun Visors & Assembly
New Side Mirros
New Tail Light Bezels
Billet Grille assembly
New Headlights
New Parking Lights
New LED Tail Lights
New Reverse Lights

The Bad on the truck is some low life decided to key the side of it which made it through the paint on from front fender to the back. I have attempted to buff this out the best I can, and you can't really see it till you get about six feet from the truck. There is a deep scratch on passenger side door about one inch long as well and a faded paint job on the hood compliments of a great body shop. Other than that the truck is in great condition and there very little rust on the truck. The engine has a valve ticking sound from time to time and usually stops when driving.

I am thinking that the paint issues are really what is keeping this truck from being worth anything. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bogeycentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
sharpie1972
Account Suspended

Re: 71 C10 Shorty Value?

I don't think you are too far off on your 10k asking price. In my opinion, some nice wheels and chrome bumpers would help. Sharpie
sharpie1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
bogeycentral

I have been thinking the bumpers might be hindering it too. I appreciate the input and will add some chrome bumpers.
bogeycentral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Wheels and bumpers and any defects in a paint job will make everybody question how the body really is under it. From these pics on the West Coast that looks like a $7g truck. No offence of course, but you could make it look like a $10g truck easy, but you'd also be putting out more $$$ so it's a toss up sometimes. It looks like a clean truck and in great shape, but I see a fair amount on the West Coast in the $7-10g for completely blown trucks now and then and with how the economy is people are really watching their $ and waiting for the best possible deal.

Nate

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

Sounds like you have some substantial investment in the truck so please don't take this as personal or bashing your truck or anything like that...... but in my own opinion the truck lacks curb appeal.....as others have said the wheels and painted bumpers as well as the 4x4 style tires detract from the value of the truck. Combine that with the missing antenna, misaligned wipers as well as the rust, scratches, and paint fading may deter potential buyers based on the attention detail and concerns of what may lay underneath. If budget is an issue, 8 inch truck ralley's with some 255\70 straight treads along with some chrome bumpers, or even painted white bumpers could be done relatively inexpensive and could make a total personality change and bring in additional buyers ($$).
Just an opinion and you know what they say about those!
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
CigarMan

You might also consider putting deluxe side markers on.
CigarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
wilbilt

From my perspective as an old geezer, the black wheels / AT tires / raised white letters just don't fit the character. Add to that the billet grille, which is an outdated fad along with the body color bumper. The side markers look tired, too.

IMHO, you could brighten it up pretty cheaply. Paint the wheels white or gray, add some repro hubcaps and flip the tires around to blackwall. Throw a stock grille on it and paint the front bumper something other than the body color. Update the markers with deluxe or G-van smoothies. Aligning the hood wouldn't hurt, either.

Just my 2¢