The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
67chevemall

Spring on drum brake

Anybody know if on 1967 model all four drum brakes came with the spring around them....or was it just on the front brakes?

The spring in the picture running all the way around them
Attached Images

67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
GRX

Re: Spring on drum brake

All four came with them from the factory. They were to help eliminate vibration which was found to not be a major issue. Reason why newer drums do not have them. If your drums are naked, don't sweat it.
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
All four came with them from the factory. They were to help eliminate vibration which was found to not be a major issue. Reason why newer drums do not have them. If your drums are naked, don't sweat it.
Pretty much spot on. An old school brake shop may have some of those springs laying around if you really have to have them.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Lurayfarmer

You can also use a spring for a screen door. But they don't really do anything.
402, Custom Camper Package
Lurayfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #5
GRX

Pic of the rear brake rebuild on my '69 a few years back just for the hell of it. Probably could have switched the springs over to the new ones, but saw no need for it.
Attached Images

GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Keith Seymore

From a previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore
The springs are a "damper" to snuff out any noise response of the drum.

In order to perceive any disturbance you have to have three things: a source, a noise transmission path, and an responder. In the example of the interior boom: the source might be an imbalanced driveshaft, the noise transmission path is the air in side the vehicle, and the responder is the vehicle body. In view of this there are three ways to attack the problem: deal with the source (ie, properly balance the driveline), eliminate the transmission path (take all the air out of the vehicle), or change the vehicle body in some way (ie, change the interior volume, brace the interior sides, or provide additional damping on the body).

Let’s try another: a bell. Input: banging on the bell. Noise transmission path: air. Responder: the structure of the bell. Once again the potential solutions could be: eliminate the input – stop banging on the bell. Eliminate the noise transmission path – get rid of the air. Deal with the responder: change the structure of the bell (dramatically stiffer, or dramatically softer – or add damping).

I think you can see that some solutions are constrained by practicality. We wouldn’t want to elminate the air inside a vehicle (or between us and a bell); similary we might be bounded by performance constraints that limit how much you could change the stiffness of a component.

These examples may look trite, but consider how readily they translate into real life: let’s say you have a pickup truck rear brake moan. Using the same thought process: Input: stick/slip brake shoe behavior against the inside of the drum. Transmission path: air. Responder: brake drum ringing like a bell. Since we already determined we don’t want to eliminate the air around us (!) we could attack either responder or the input. In this case adding damping or changing the structure of the drum would be either increased piece cost or a new design to the drum (redesign of validated and proven brake components is typically frowned upon) we chose to go right to the source and address the input. In this case the stick/slip phenomenon was caused by improperly radiused brake shoes which were engaging the drum on the heel and toe of the shoe. Radiusing the virgin shoes so that the initial contact patch was focused in the center (and migrated outward as burnished in) eliminated the problem and cost no additional money.
So - in this case - the program team decided it made more sense to affect the response (the ringing of the drum) than to address the root cause (radiusing the shoes or whatever).

A leather strap might be more effective (if you have a problem).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
michael bustamante

my 67 did not have any at all
Old 09-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
67chevemall

Cool thanks guys.

I am selling my front drums and spindles

I put the disc brakes on up front

SO I will put my springs around the rear drums which don't have them before I sell them.

Cheers

Thanks again

67chevemall is offline   Reply With Quote