The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #1
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Mig welding wire

Looking for suggestions for .023 mig welding wire for welding in patch panels. I am looking for a wire that grinds easier than most. I have heard ESAB wire is good but not able to locate any. Also, do you have a website or resource to get the welding wire? Thanks.
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 8,386
Re: Mig welding wire

I've been buying my wire off Ebay from welding city...I get the er70s-6...but it's not esab...but I've had no issues welding or grinding
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I've been buying my wire off Ebay from welding city...I get the er70s-6...but it's not esab...but I've had no issues welding or grinding
I have the 11 lb spool saved in E-Bay through welding city. Was just curious what everybody else has been running. I have seen a few brands that are highly recommended but I can’t find them easily. Thanks for the info.

I also have saved a 10 lb spool of Inefil Er70S-6. It is made in Italy where so many others are made in China.
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C

Last edited by KMC3420; 04-04-2019 at 11:17 PM.
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
B. W.
Senior Member
 
B. W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bigfork, Montana
Posts: 1,121
Re: Mig welding wire

X2 on ER70S-6, don't like chinese but that's what I'm burning right now.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
X2 on ER70S-6, don't like chinese but that's what I'm burning right now.
Thanks. ER70S-6 is all I have ever ran and it works great for me too. I have asked a few of the big time shops who do restorations. One shop said they use Lincoln wire.
I found Lincoln electric super arc 025 wire and it is made in Mexico.
I did find a brand called Firepower. It is labeled as made in Mexico also. My goal is to find a wire that grinds easier for planishing.
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C

Last edited by KMC3420; 04-05-2019 at 12:12 PM.
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #6
B. W.
Senior Member
 
B. W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Bigfork, Montana
Posts: 1,121
Re: Mig welding wire

Thanks for the info, I'd love to find some USA made wire.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #7
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Thanks for the info, I'd love to find some USA made wire.
That is what I initially searched for but no luck. I purchased a 10 lb. roll of inefil wire thatís made in Italy. I have read good things about it. I am going to get some sheet metal to see how it goes. MP&C gave me some pointers on how to keep the weld bead as small as possible regarding heat and wire speed.
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
Lanman1972
Senior Member
 
Lanman1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Omaha NE
Posts: 562
Re: Mig welding wire

I have found when grinding welds it works best to use a cutoff type grinder with a 36 grit grinding wheel installed. You can concentrate grinding the weld not the good metal next to it.
__________________
1972 C10 Custom Deluxe LWB, 402/400, PS, PB, A/C, Highlander, Hugger / White
1971 C10 Cheyenne LWB (SWB), 350/350, PS, PB, A/C, Dark Olive / White.
Lanman1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanman1972 View Post
I have found when grinding welds it works best to use a cutoff type grinder with a 36 grit grinding wheel installed. You can concentrate grinding the weld not the good metal next to it.
Thanks Lanman. I have an IRand 90 degree pneumatic die grinder that works pretty good. I use the edge of the cutoff disc to knock down the majority of the weld proud. I think my issue is laying down too big of a bead. I am going to practice using more heat and less trigger time while welding.
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #10
StingRay
Senior Member
 
StingRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Saskatoon,SK,Canada
Posts: 2,332
Re: Mig welding wire

I use 023 ESAB Easy Grind. More money but it's easier to grind, Stretch the weld seam and less likely to crack on a butt joint.

https://www.esab.ca/ca/en/products/f...easy-grind.cfm
__________________
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Canada
StingRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I use 023 ESAB Easy Grind. More money but it's easier to grind, Stretch the weld seam and less likely to crack on a butt joint.

https://www.esab.ca/ca/en/products/f...easy-grind.cfm
Thanks Stingray, I have a few local distributors I am going to contact. See if I can get my hands on some.
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #12
MP&C
Registered User
 
MP&C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Leonardtown, MD
Posts: 1,274
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
MP&C gave me some pointers on how to keep the weld bead as small as possible regarding heat and wire speed.
May as well add that info here for others that may be looking....


Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420
Hey MP&C, I truly appreciate what you add to the board and your work is second to none. Quick question. What brand welding wire do you run for mig? I am setup with 75/25 gas and wanted to know what wire you are running? Or if you have uncovered a ďbetterĒ welding wire that grinds easier than others. Thanks.

I have run ESAB ER70-S6, ER70-S7 (Spoolarc 87HP) and EZ-Grind. Of the three, I had best results with the -S7, and after that the EZ grind. The S7 has more manganese for better wetting, ie: flowout. Means it will give you a flatter weld for much less to grind. I don't think ESAB still makes it in .023 but I have seen it in .030, although 33 or 44 lb spools. If you are using a 11 lb spool machine, you would need to re-spool the wire.

The only other company I have seen selling the S7 is Blue Devil, but this is made in China and is questionable content, as is anything else from there.

My suggestion to you is to try to get what you're using now to flow better, and lay flatter. Do some practice coupons and increase your heat setting to get good penetration, then if any blowout, add more feed speed. Keep playing with adjustments, and what you are looking for is higher heat, and less time on the trigger. the longer you sit there the more the weld piles up, the more grinding. So play around and see what you can do with more heat, shorter elapsed time on the trigger pull and see if you can get less weld proud. Make sure you're getting full weld penetration, whatever you do.
__________________
Robert
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #13
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
May as well add that info here for others that may be looking....
Thank you Robert!
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:28 PM   #14
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
May as well add that info here for others that may be looking....
Robert, is it ideal when planishing to grind the weld bead down prior to hammer/dolly or do I hammer/dolly the weld bead and grind down the bead as the last step? Here is a pic of where Iím at currently. Thanks.
Attached Images
  

Last edited by KMC3420; 04-13-2019 at 08:38 PM.
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #15
MP&C
Registered User
 
MP&C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Leonardtown, MD
Posts: 1,274
Re: Mig welding wire

My preference is to planish before grinding.

So if we have a full penetration weld dot, with a small bit of proud on both sides, planishing in this state you can better isolate that your planishing efforts are on the weld only, and you can gauge the amount of planishing by how large the flat area on the weld dot becomes. Just like the consistency you're looking for with everything else, this helps to insure you are consistent in planishing from one weld dot to the next.
__________________
Robert
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #16
44th Miss Inf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Liberty, Mississippi
Posts: 402
Re: Mig welding wire

I just ordered a 10lb roll of Inefil .023 off eBay, I paid about $7 more than I can get it locally in the Forney 2lb roll (TSC).

I don't deal with the local welding supply due the the owner's dishonesty so not sure on their price.
I need to buy another 80cf C25 bottle. I own a 330cf argon bottle that a place and hour away said would convert / fill with C25, but it's just to big of a bottle to handle anymore.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #17
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf View Post
I just ordered a 10lb roll of Inefil .023 off eBay, I paid about $7 more than I can get it locally in the Forney 2lb roll (TSC).

I don't deal with the local welding supply due the the owner's dishonesty so not sure on their price.
I need to buy another 80cf C25 bottle. I own a 330cf argon bottle that a place and hour away said would convert / fill with C25, but it's just to big of a bottle to handle anymore.
That is the exact wire being used in the above/below pictures and so far I like it a lot. It grinds super easy and has been great so far. I am unsure how ďeasyĒ the ESAB easy grind wire grinds off, however I canít imagine it being much easier than the inefil wire. I did find the ESAB easy grind online but a 11 lb. roll was $107 to my door, which I cannot justify. Inefil is my new favorite for .023.
Attached Images
  
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:09 PM   #18
trukman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio 45431
Posts: 663
Re: Mig welding wire

Can the Infel wire be used on Miller 170/220V machine or is it only used on 120V welders? I've heard I should be using a 120V welder but the 220V has a higher duty cycle rating, Obviously I'm not an experienced welder. Just keep hearing from body shop guys I should have a 120V unit. Want to be sure before buying more wire, Thanks. Not trying to hijack this thread but others may have info to help more than just me especially if they are looking to purchase a unit. Biggest drawback I've found so far with 220 unit is having to have a HD extension cord and 230V outlet.120 is far more versatile for use anywhere. Thanks again.
__________________
1967 K30 461/TH400/Np205/D60/14FF/BDS
MTZ 375/75/16 on 16x10 Pro Comps
trukman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #19
trukman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio 45431
Posts: 663
Re: Mig welding wire

One more question this brought up...what is "planishing?" Also hear of "proud" when welding. What does that mean? Thanks for the education.
__________________
1967 K30 461/TH400/Np205/D60/14FF/BDS
MTZ 375/75/16 on 16x10 Pro Comps
trukman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #20
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukman1 View Post
Can the Infel wire be used on Miller 170/220V machine or is it only used on 120V welders? I've heard I should be using a 120V welder but the 220V has a higher duty cycle rating, Obviously I'm not an experienced welder. Just keep hearing from body shop guys I should have a 120V unit. Want to be sure before buying more wire, Thanks. Not trying to hijack this thread but others may have info to help more than just me especially if they are looking to purchase a unit. Biggest drawback I've found so far with 220 unit is having to have a HD extension cord and 230V outlet.120 is far more versatile for use anywhere. Thanks again.
I am using a millermatic 211 which is a 110/220 machine, it has a dual plug. I always run it on 220 even when doing sheet metal as you dial it in on a test piece of metal the same thickness. Sheet metal being as thin as it is, you can use 110 as well with no worries of lack of penetration. The duty cycle isn’t too relevant on sheet metal as you aren’t running a continuous weld. You are on the trigger for half a second and moving around the sheet metal. When welding 1/4” metal that’s when duty cycle comes into play as your on the trigger for longer periods of time. Regarding the inefil wire or any wire it wouldn’t be voltage specific but for sheet metal you want 023 wire which is the thinnest wire. But for thicker metal you would want 035 wire as it fills faster.
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:33 AM   #21
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Smile Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukman1 View Post
One more question this brought up...what is "planishing?" Also hear of "proud" when welding. What does that mean? Thanks for the education.
Planishing is effectively stretching a weld bead or ďdotĒ. When welding sheet metal you want to just weld in one spot for half a second and skip around. This will produce a weld dot as seen in the above pictures. With any weld you have shrinking as the weld cools, when the cooling happens it pulls the surrounding metal and creates a valley. To planish you use the dolly on method and focus only on the weld dot to stretch the dot out, in doing this you are stretching the dot out and moving the surrounding metal back into itís previous location. Weld proud is the height of the weld bead above the base metal, in the above pictures the weld bead/dot was above the sheet metal, that portion was ground down flush to the base metal to have the appearance of a seamless piece of metal, after planishing. Hope this helps and didnít further confuse you.
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #22
MP&C
Registered User
 
MP&C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Leonardtown, MD
Posts: 1,274
Re: Mig welding wire

^^^

Well said!
__________________
Robert
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #23
trukman1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beavercreek, Ohio 45431
Posts: 663
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
Planishing is effectively stretching a weld bead or ďdotĒ. When welding sheet metal you want to just weld in one spot for half a second and skip around. This will produce a weld dot as seen in the above pictures. With any weld you have shrinking as the weld cools, when the cooling happens it pulls the surrounding metal and creates a valley. To planish you use the dolly on method and focus only on the weld dot to stretch the dot out, in doing this you are stretching the dot out and moving the surrounding metal back into itís previous location. Weld proud is the height of the weld bead above the base metal, in the above pictures the weld bead/dot was above the sheet metal, that portion was ground down flush to the base metal to have the appearance of a seamless piece of metal, after planishing. Hope this helps and didnít further confuse you.
WOW! Thanks for explaining this to me. Makes perfect sense. It's great to have members to help those of us wanting to learn but not knowing where to get the knowledge. I appreciate it very much. I have lots of welding coming up when my son gets home from his deployment in July and, even though I've done a lot of welding on heavy industrial pipe (stick), I don't know anything about welding thin sheet meta body panels. Many thanks!
__________________
1967 K30 461/TH400/Np205/D60/14FF/BDS
MTZ 375/75/16 on 16x10 Pro Comps
trukman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 PM   #24
mongocanfly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 8,386
Re: Mig welding wire

The thing with thin sheetmetal is go slow..."like molasses in wintertime"...."so slow I can count the hairs on your hand"...get a copper backer..where you can use it will help prevent blowthrough...
Jump around your seam doing spotwelds..get your gaps as good as you can...when I did a series of tack welds I waited till I could put my hand on the weld before moving on..and be sure to hammer and dolley..
__________________
Mongo...aka Greg

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2013 GMC Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #25
KMC3420
Senior Member
 
KMC3420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 613
Re: Mig welding wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukman1 View Post
WOW! Thanks for explaining this to me. Makes perfect sense. It's great to have members to help those of us wanting to learn but not knowing where to get the knowledge. I appreciate it very much. I have lots of welding coming up when my son gets home from his deployment in July and, even though I've done a lot of welding on heavy industrial pipe (stick), I don't know anything about welding thin sheet meta body panels. Many thanks!
First of all, ensure your son knows that we are all thankful for his service and sacrifice. Donít wait til your son gets home to practice, move forward with getting some scrap sheet metal, and clean the rust/paint off to shiny metal and begin with a tight fitting joint. Set your machine up for the 22 to 18 gauge thickness and perfect making a weld dot, look for the same size of HAZ(heat affected Zone) surrounding the weld dot. Essentially you should have the same weld proud on both sides of your sheet metal, front and back to ensure penetration is adequate. That will be the first step, then you can work on your planishing. Good luck my friend! I would not be myself if I didnít t throw this link up, but MP&C is a great guy and his knowledge has helped me tons. Check out the below link for a visual of welding sheet metal the correct way.
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...182565&page=48
__________________
68 SWB C-10 original 350 A/C
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com