The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2016, 08:53 PM   #1076
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Here's the parts, excuse the mess, parts on lower part of table. Overflow bottle comes with a mount bracket and coolant hose and proper vented lid.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 07-28-2016 at 09:07 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #1077
swamp rat

Can someone remind me where this bolt with thick washer came from? Maybe the fender well??
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 07-28-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:58 PM   #1078
swamp rat

Inner fender next to dirty firewall, maybe I better wash and wax pretty quick.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 07-28-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #1079
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Can someone remind me where this bolt with thick washer came from? Maybe the fender well??
Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe this bolt is used to go through the square hole on the rear of your inner fenders. There should be two of them.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #1080
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe this bolt is used to go through the square hole on the rear of your inner fenders. There should be two of them.
Awesome! Thank you!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #1081
swamp rat

Pressing forward, Doing the body work on the door, not near finished yet.. Also prepped, cleaned and sprayed undercoat on my inner fender well for the driver side, its sitting on my paint booth but no picture. Bondo work takes way too long for me!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-31-2016, 12:53 AM   #1082
DD1

Hey Mike, Great build thread you have going here. You have really made a lot of progress and it's really informative. Don't know why it took me so long to read it, but doing it after midnight was a mistake - It's now almost 1:00am and I am still going through the pages.

I love the paint booth you made. I may have to do that myself one day. I am definitely going to learn a lot from reading through your thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:45 AM   #1083
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
but doing it after midnight was a mistake - It's now almost 1:00am and I am still going through the pages.

I love the paint booth you made. I may have to do that myself one day. I am definitely going to learn a lot from reading through your thread.
Story of my life! Always up late... Thanks for the compliments!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #1084
swamp rat

Went to Goodguys today and Met Dave Kindig.... B i t c h in!

On the way out i ran across a 67 3/4T GMC that caught my eye, i really don't need another 3/4T but it is a 67 and i have a thing about 67's, we talked a bit then he took off. The sign said 3500 OBO, i asked him what his bottom doller was and he said make an offer, i tossed out 2000, he said no cant go that low and would rather let it sit in the garage, i bumped to 2500? nope then he said his bottom dollar was 3000...

The good: Its got Buddy Buckets but they had seat covers on them, the seats didn't look broken down, the bed was immaculate, the tail gate was removed for a camper and stored inside, not a dent or any rust in it. rest of the body had no dents. V-6 351 seemed to run good, needs a tune up and exhaust manifold gasket, he drove it away when we were done talking.

The Normal: Looking in the cab there is some surface spotting of rust around the headliner but nothing that looked like full on cancer, the drivers door has some cancer as did the drivers rear fender, i found a small cancer spot behind the passenger hood hinge on the cab/cowl area. He was leaving and we were too so i didn't want to do a full on inspection in the gravel.

The bad?? It was repainted some years back, i asked him about it he said his dad had some kind of warranty issue and the dealership repainted it (red flag?) back in 72. I don't know if maybe his story is not true and he bought it and it had some bondo work to cover some stuff up?? It had some pretty fresh looking carpet that he said was original (red flag i don't think 67's had carpet and it looked like it was pieced in not like the carpet for my 72) The back of the cab was also lined with carpet and an extra piece wrapped around the gas tank, i didn't get to see what was under the carpet and neglected to look at the inner kick panels. Outer rockers looked great but were they fixed? Cab corners were not rusted but were they fixed? What are the seat covers and carpet hiding?

Overall it looks to be a pretty nice truck, If it is all original but did have some rust repair that was covered up would it still be worth it, still debating if i should call and go do a good looking over, but is it worth 3 bills?? ........

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 08-01-2016 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:35 PM   #1085
DD1

Quote:
Went to Goodguys today and Met Dave Kindig.... B i t c h in!

On the way out i ran across a 67 3/4T GMC that caught my eye, i really don't need another 3/4T but it is a 67 and i have a thing about 67's, we talked a bit then he took off. The sign said 3500 OBO, i asked him what his bottom doller was and he said make an offer, i tossed out 2000, he said no cant go that low and would rather let it sit in the garage, i bumped to 2500? nope then he said his bottom dollar was 3000...

The good: Its got Buddy Buckets but they had seat covers on them, the seats didn't look broken down, the bed was immaculate, the tail gate was removed for a camper and stored inside, not a dent or any rust in it. rest of the body had no dents. V-6 351 seemed to run good, needs a tune up and exhaust manifold gasket, he drove it away when we were done talking.

The Normal: Looking in the cab there is some surface spotting of rust around the headliner but nothing that looked like full on cancer, the drivers door has some cancer as did the drivers rear fender, i found a small cancer spot behind the passenger hood hinge on the cab/cowl area. He was leaving and we were too so i didn't want to do a full on inspection in the gravel.

The bad?? It was repainted some years back, i asked him about it he said his dad had some kind of warranty issue and the dealership repainted it (red flag?) back in 72. I don't know if maybe his story is not true and he bought it and it had some bondo work to cover some stuff up?? It had some pretty fresh looking carpet that he said was original (red flag i don't think 67's had carpet and it looked like it was pieced in not like the carpet for my 72) The back of the cab was also lined with carpet and an extra piece wrapped around the gas tank, i didn't get to see what was under the carpet and neglected to look at the inner kick panels. Outer rockers looked great but were they fixed? Cab corners were not rusted but were they fixed? What are the seat covers and carpet hiding?

Overall it looks to be a pretty nice truck, If it is all original but did have some rust repair that was covered up would it still be worth it, still debating if i should call and go do a good looking over, but is it worth 3 bills?? ........
It can't hurt to take another look at it; the worst that could happen is you ended up annoying him when you say "Nope!"

If the work was done badly, then it may not be worth it. Hopefully you can get an idea of what it will cost you in both time and money to get it fixed right.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:11 PM   #1086
swamp rat

I have come to the realization that my can of bondo has been thickening most likely from not stiring it enough, i'm down to 1/4 can left and am using less hardener than the picture example shows but this stuff is thicker than every vid i see on Youtube where they are floating bondo out on large surfaces I have the contour fairly close but i need to build up the center area a little, doing research and asking the right people (Vic) i am going to find some fiberglass resin to thin it out a little.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #1087
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Just wanted to say Ive been following your build and I think you are doing a great job!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:04 AM   #1088
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Just wanted to say Ive been following your build and I think you are doing a great job!
Thank you CG, glad to hear someone is following along, i'm an absolute rookie at this bodywork stuff but i am getting better every time i work on it. I will add working on the vertical is not the easiest ether!

Picked up some fiberglass resin on the way to work, going to add a little and see what i end up with, have an appt tomorrow so will kill my progress, I'll try and get more done this weekend before work.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #1089
swamp rat

Went and bought some of that sanding dye spray so i could find the high and low spots better, this is the end result, sprayed high build primer and sanded with 180 grit, still not perfect but its way better.. I think i may have left too much mud from the bottom and up about 3" but i was done for the day.

I found out that Harbor Freight has reworked the cabinet sand blaster by making the sloped media collector walls steeper to help the media pool at the bottom, and they added another latch to the door, i checked the price, same as the old unit at $120'ish sale price so i took the plunge, naturally when i got home and unpacked it one of the rear corners has a nice ding, but it won't alter function so i'm just gonna keep it.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #1090
Vic1947

Quote:
...I found out that Harbor Freight has reworked the cabinet sand blaster by making the sloped media collector walls steeper to help the media pool at the bottom, and they added another latch to the door, i checked the price, same as the old unit at $120'ish sale price so i took the plunge...
One of my best investments! You have the compressor to complement it and I'm betting it won't be long before you wonder how you ever did without it.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:24 AM   #1091
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
One of my best investments! You have the compressor to complement it and I'm betting it won't be long before you wonder how you ever did without it.
I think I'm gonna have to agree!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 AM   #1092
HUSTLESTUFF

Just read this start to finish over two days. Nice work and you'll never be more proud. Get some Evercoat Plastic Honey resin for the bondo to thin it out. I do everything on my cars and have learned a ton. Great work.
Attached Images

HUSTLESTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #1093
7dee2

It's looking great Mike, I'm jealous of your cabinet if you were closer I'd need to come borrow it!
72 Cheyenne/K30 Super 133" DRW SOLD Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645614
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@6dee7-7dee2
7dee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #1094
rgunlock

The lower door is looking good Mike. Guide coat is your friend!

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #1095
swamp rat

Vic, Hustlestuff, 7dee2, Rgunlock, Thanks again for the comps and encouragement!

So my deadline approaches fast, had to get the body line reworked and the Bondo covered in K2 today, as usual i had to come up with a little unconventional way to straighten things out, a 4"X2.5' section of conduit with some long board sand paper stuck to it, I had to build up some more Bondo then i sanded using a curling and diagonal movement, making a cross hatch, once i was happy with the shape of the body line i put a radius on it, now i need more practice on shaping the radius but its close.. LOL! If i have time tomorrow then i may sand and put a second coat but its at least sealed now.

So i grabbed my inner fenderwell and tried to slide it in place, i quickly remembered that the old one came out with a bit of persuasion so i'll have to jack up the driver side and maybe remove the tire to get it in place...
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #1096
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Very nicely done Mike!

My old rod probably won't get as much love on the exterior as yours for awhile. Glad I started following along on your build!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #1097
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Very nicely done Mike!

My old rod probably won't get as much love on the exterior as yours for awhile. Glad I started following along on your build!

Gary
Thanks, I would have liked to not have to do so much to that door but right now i don't feel like trying to re-skin or buy a replacement, as i have said learning from the school of hard knocks! Its a 20 footer for sure right now.. LOL!

So i installed the inner fender well today on the driver side, Of course it didn't fit sitting in its free state so instead of jacking and removing the wheel i first put a ratcheting strap on the outer side and put a bit of a curl into it so i could get it to sit on the tire, then i installed a tie down strap on the inside and removed the outside strap then manhandled it from there, probably put a couple scratches into it but did my best to not damage the powder coat. Not fun for one person with torn rotator cuffs

I really wanted to be able to take the time to wire wheel the frame both in the front and under the cab, then apply some POR and paint but i just ran out of time for now. I may have enough time to apply a second coat of K2 on the lower door tomorrow.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-16-2016, 10:53 AM   #1098
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Is that an aftermarket inner fender? I have an aftermarket inner for my passenger side and we had to beat the snot out of it to fit in the fender well. I'm yanking the drivers side inner fender out of the 1972 C25 that I have to use in my C15. It's a little rotted out in the front, but I'll fabricate a new patch panel to make it useable.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #1099
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Is that an aftermarket inner fender? I have an aftermarket inner for my passenger side and we had to beat the snot out of it to fit in the fender well. I'm yanking the drivers side inner fender out of the 1972 C25 that I have to use in my C15. It's a little rotted out in the front, but I'll fabricate a new patch panel to make it useable.

Gary
Yes i got them from Franks Pick M Up in Olympia then had them powder coated before i even test fitted them, i think i payed about 10-20 more for the powder coat than the wells, I had to loosen the front of the fender from the radiator support but after i got them past the tire and released the straps they fit rather nicely, i used an alignment punch in a few places, i only had to file the front support bracket hole as it was slightly out of alignment from the main inner fender when it was spot welded but that was the only mod. Yes i would recommend these wells.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 08-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #1100
swamp rat

Well, last day of working on the truck for a while, decided i didn't need a second coat of primer on the lower door so decided to wrap up the column.

About 4 years ago i found this wheel for sale on the parts thread, zero cracks but obvious wear on the pattern area, still overall a pretty nice score for $60, sure looks better than the Grant unit i had run for the last 20 some odd years.

I still have the stock green wheel and am hanging onto the green non tilt column for the time being, the green wheel last time i looked had no cracks and probably less wear than the black one above but its been a while since i looked at it closely.

Eventually i will put the grant wheel up for sale with the new horn kit i have for it.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's