The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2002, 03:33 AM   #1
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Out with the old! Next: IFS for rico_bob's ride!

Well y'all I went and did it! Tonight - right there in the "therapy room" I went CRAZY!!

Yep ... ole rico_bob went off the deep end in the garage tonight. Undid the springs, the shocks, the brake lines and "JERKED" the straight axle out from under the '57 stepside!

It's TOO LATE! rico_bob went all the way! Now it is Hub-to-Hub IFS or bust!

Just when the wife thought there was a chance the truck would be on the road again soon! Ha! what do they know about all this stuff anyway?

Ya' know --- I HAVE GOT TO SEND IN SOME PHOTOS? Could someone tell me how to post some pics?

Anyone got some good bed sides? I still haven't found any good used ones. Should I buy the repros??? Boy they don't give them away do they?

Say you guys, I have been getting more and more into selling parts. I was just doing small time stuff with used 55-59 parts. BUT .. I am going into this a little deeper too (y\talk about going off the deep end!) Yep, I am going to sell new parts (repro parts) and it will be soon. Starting out slow but who knows? How about this? I can get brand new glass for your 55-59's. Example of good pricing: Brand New Tinted windshield with the main windshield with a green tint, and it has a top-bar "shade" (darker) tint for the incredible price of just $319.00. And I can sell you back glass (big and small), side door glass, and even one piece door glass kits. WHOA rico!

I hear you all singing .... "I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW da da da " OK so I am NUTS! that's why I call myself a "55-59 Truck Nut" LOOK Y'all if you need any parts ... drop me a line. rico_bob@hotmail.com (for now that's my email zone) Night 'all. rico :p

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com

Last edited by rico_bob; 06-12-2002 at 03:41 AM.
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 12:08 PM   #2
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

awesome! so what IFS setup are you going with?
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 03:14 AM   #3
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Martz Chassis Engineering - Bedford, Pennsylvania

Hello Shaggy! Yep, It is happening and I am excited, especially since my wife is in agreement with me on this one!

Going to go with Gary Martz' IFS for 55-59's. I had looked and compared for nearly a year before making up my mind on who to buy from. There are several ways to go on an IFS.

Way back in 1986, I was convinced that the Volarie/Aspen/Diplomat clip was the greatest thing going. I did not like the fact that the Camero/Nova clip installation required you to "chop" your truck in half. (Once it's done it is done!)

So, for too many years, I used to lug around a Volarie subframe everytime I moved the truck (4 count 'em -- four times!). Them sucker's are HEAVY !

My truck has been in storage since 1987 (and too many places to count). Finally, I now am buying a house with a 2-1/2 car garage and I have room to work on it again (after nearly 16 years!).

AND I AM LOVIMG IT! So once again, after looking hard and long at the options, I chose to go with a M-II Clone IFS. Consider that the M-II crossmember has had almost twenty years of applications from Street Rods to Nova-II's, and lots of guys have spent hours and years getting the engineering and geometry right ... So an M-II clone was my IFS of choice this time. (I never did install the Volarie clip -- left it in the last old barn in Mt. Pleasant, MI -- come get it for free?).

The other reason I selected Martz Chassis Engineering, was that Gary is extreemly qualified! Did anyone ever here of this guy Martz? He was on the race circuit for many, many years and has raced in some big races. He also built race chassis for some of the top race car drivers in the business for years.

And talk about a special guy, Gary - get this now .. not only was EXTREEMLY helpful by email correspondence, BUT ... He called me on the phone one day and says ... "Hi this is Gary". just to tell me about his company, the IFS he sells, and go over the details with me! NOW that is why you shop around!

Well, I am so excited to be going forward with the IFS. It will be a full "Hub-to-Hub" (Gary does sell the M-II crossmembers and parts if you like piece meal your money out). I elected to go whole HAM here. The IFS will have coil overs, power rack & pinion steering, and GM calipers and 11" rotors, so I can run Chevy wheel patterns (all "new" parts - no recycled junk yard dogs!)

So gang... That is what I am doing lately. What are the rest of you "truck nuts" up to? Check in and let's "parley" once in a while, alright? Man this place is nearly DEAD! Shaggy we need more "Truck Nuts" in the mid to late fifties like me (yep, I am getting up there!) LOL.

Want to check out Martz CE? Go to his web site, then request his "free" catalog, as the IFS's for pickups are in the catalog and may not be listed or shown on his web pages. Go to: http://www.martzchassis.net

It's been great to have something to share here. Keep in touch. And don' t forget members ... I am selling truck parts now also. BYE!
rico_bob

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 07-21-2002 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:40 AM   #4
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

sweet, sounds nice! if you dont mind how much is it gonna set you back?
yeah this place is DEAD, im trying to get some work done on my 68 4x4 and the impala before i play with the 56 again...... multiple projects are BAD
Old 06-13-2002, 03:50 AM   #5
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Have'nt contacted Gary Martz yet to get the best deal, but it will be close to $2 grand.
rico

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 07-21-2002 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:02 PM   #6
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

yeah thats what i figured, but you pay for the best
Old 06-14-2002, 12:37 AM   #7
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Shortcutting on quality ends up costing you more in the long run!

Like I said - I did my homework on this! And I believe I found the right product, the right dealer, and what I wanted at the right price. I will be probably be placing the order with Martz next week.

Here is another neat thing about this. I have already sold my stock axle and springs! I also post updates on what I am doing with my truck on Brothers BB. And a fellow "truck nut" wrote and asked if I would I sell him my axle and such. The axle. springs, disc brakes, and stuff will be shipped out to sunny California - perhaps as soon as next week also!

At least it won't be lying around my garage taking up space and collecting cobwebs.

Shaggy, I appreciate that you do seem to check in and monitor this board. At least someone else is interested in this forum! Thanks buddy!

PS: Shag, can you run through the proceedures for putting some pictures on the forum here for me?

rico_bob

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 06-14-2002 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:25 AM   #8
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

well thats cool, amazed someone wanted the stock axle.....
to add pics hit the "browse" button at the bottom of the reply screen above the submit reply button, find the pic on your computer and attach it....... if it says it is to big you need to downsize the picture...... most photo programs should have a edit, resize feature.....
they must be .jpg format
Old 06-14-2002, 05:40 AM   #9
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking I KNEW YOU KNEW!

You're the Man! Thanks for the instructions! Keep in touch ... rico

'56 for the daughter.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:46 PM   #10
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

no problem, now hurry up with the pics
Old 06-14-2002, 02:32 PM   #11
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Cool Picture attempt will be on next log in - Say do you sleep at your computer?

Yep, got to get them on!

Question for you Shag - Do you sleep at your computer or NOT AT ALLl?? You are here all the time! Eh? LOL

rico_bob

'56 for the daughter.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:43 AM   #12
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Out of There!

Well ... "this is a test only a test" I am trying the picture thing here. Here goes!
rico

'56 for the daughter.
Old 06-22-2002, 01:49 AM   #13
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Angry Well that didn't work did it?

Last try for tonight it is 2am!
Attached Images

'56 for the daughter.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:34 AM   #14
Benrs86

your pic worked. you got a CLEAN garage. i wish mine was that clean.
3 on the tree
350 engine 4 bolt main
rv cam
AIM = Alphray04
Benrs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:40 AM   #15
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Clean Garage? Thanks for the compliment!

Thanks Ben for the compliments! It does get messed up, but I always try to put everything back when I quit for the night. Otherwise - it gets too overwhelming and I don't feel like doing anything on my truck. Nice to hear from you. Drop in again. I hope to add more pictures as the IFS gets installed. rico_bob

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 06-25-2002 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:15 PM   #16
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

cant wait for more pics while you do the IFS, it would be very helpful
Old 07-21-2002, 10:26 PM   #17
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Funny You Should Post Tonight!

Shag,
Its funny you posted when you did tonight. I had just finished up the Purchase Order for my Martz Chassis Engineering Hub-to-Hub IFS.

I called Gary Martz yesterday(Saturday) and we got it ordered. I will be going to Bedford, PA the 7th August to pick up the IFS. It will be complete with Tubular A-Arms, Coil-overs, Urethane Bushings, Moog Ball Joints, 3" dropped spindles, new 11" GM rotors, calipers and pads, and T-Bird power rack and pinion steering unit.

The crossmember is full 1/4 steel, and the best part of his Hub-to-Hubs, is you don't even have to cut the inner fenders like so many of the others. The coil overs do not interfere with the inner fenders!

In addition, Gary makes a very nice U-Joint steering coupler and shaft assembly, that has the correct GM connection for my Tilt-Wheel column (late 60's Firebird), and the other end is the correct FOMOCO for the T-Bird R&P.

I will be sending out my down payment tomorrow morning. I have been pretty busy in the garage this summer too! I rebuilt (completely!) a 20 year old Campbell Hausfeld air compressor, and bought a C&H MIG/Flux Core Wire Feed Welder, and a 2 Ton Engine Hoist. (Oh yeah, bought the Mrs. a rider mower too).

So I am getting the serious tools around to get this truck on the road. I have also been doing a lot with my parts business. (whoops! can't advertise here). But in the process, I have been finding and buying the parts I need too.

Have had some good buys on Ebay Motors. Picked up a new Eldelbrock Performer Intake for my 327. And the stainless trim for the 57 windshield, doors and lower rear of cab. (but I am missing the upper piece - so if any one has one - PLEASE write me)

Also have a rear fender coming. Oh yeah! Almost forgot, I bought a new 70 Cougar (drof) gas tank. So I move the tank out of the cab and will be filling gas at the license plate location with a flip-down door. COOL!

I am still searching for swb bed sides, tailgate, and rear fenders, so if you are reading this and can help me out, I'd like that!

All for now! rico_bob

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 07-21-2002 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:23 PM   #18
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

well sounds like your trucks ready for a huge transformation! refresh my memory on what was done with the front suspension before? your really going all out on the IFS! all the bells and whistles
Old 07-22-2002, 07:40 PM   #19
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking In the Old Days ....

Shaggy,

Back in 85-86 I had removed everything on the front end, even the front crossmember as someone had notched it for an oil pan. So there I was, replaced the c-member and took all the leaves apart sandblasted them, primered, painted and re-assembled the springs with those plastic glides between the leaves (supposed to give a smoother ride).

I also had replaced the Kingpins, and bushings as well as the spring eye bushings. (Did the rear springs and bushings at the same time) Major complete overhaul!

Also did the "Kit Thing" to install power steering and disk brakes on front. Have a tilt wheel from an early Firebird (was stick on floor) with no shift lever on column. And then the big "D" hit and I had to let the truck project take a back seat to the life I was trying to salvage.

Looks like all the work I did in the 80's is going to get done over and some of it was for 'naught! Oh Well, That's the way she goes sometimes eh? Ha! Ha! Thanks for keeping me going! rico

'56 for the daughter.

Last edited by rico_bob; 07-22-2002 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2002, 02:16 AM   #20
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

well yea, whatever you do to that old straight axle it will never be better than a modern IFS, and your IFS is a bit fancier than most stock ones! should be great