The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
Ricos54

Wiring Harness for my 54 Chevy Truck

I have been told that the EZ wiring Harness is more user friendly than some of the others. If so which one do I want to buy? I notice there is a few different one's EZ mini, Ez deluxe, EZ 21 circuit? I have all the switches already and ignition and my key will be in the dash. I sold my painless key in the column because I was told painless was not as easy as some of the others like EZ wire. I'm ready to buy just need a little help to get the right one. This is my first street rod so I want it to be as easy as possible.

Thanks,
Ricos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Wiring Harness for my 54 Chevy Truck

I used EZ wire on mine, 21 circuit, but I have ac, will be towing and wanted the extra circuits. If you truck is bare bones then a smaller one will do. Instructions I thought were good, I had a couple of questions and got the owner when I called. He answered both on the spot. Wires are labeled and the ignition and lighting are terminated. The rest are not terminated, but not a big deal because I found I had to shorten or lengthen just about every wire to get the correct length. You can look at my build thread, I show a lot of detail and commentary, planning is key and finishing up each part rather than jumping around makes it go easier. I did the back first, they front, then engine and dash last. I added headlight relays, courtesy lights with door switches, alarm, and other stuff that is not in the kit using circuits that I would not be using like power windows and power door locks. I got a good deal on the basic kit online and spent about $250 more for additional connectors, fusible link, shrink wrap, wire loom, relays, ground wire and additional switches I needed.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Ricos54

Re: Wiring Harness for my 54 Chevy Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
I used EZ wire on mine, 21 circuit, but I have ac, will be towing and wanted the extra circuits. If you truck is bare bones then a smaller one will do. Instructions I thought were good, I had a couple of questions and got the owner when I called. He answered both on the spot. Wires are labeled and the ignition and lighting are terminated. The rest are not terminated, but not a big deal because I found I had to shorten or lengthen just about every wire to get the correct length. You can look at my build thread, I show a lot of detail and commentary, planning is key and finishing up each part rather than jumping around makes it go easier. I did the back first, they front, then engine and dash last. I added headlight relays, courtesy lights with door switches, alarm, and other stuff that is not in the kit using circuits that I would not be using like power windows and power door locks. I got a good deal on the basic kit online and spent about $250 more for additional connectors, fusible link, shrink wrap, wire loom, relays, ground wire and additional switches I needed.
Yes, I also have A/C, stereo, electric windows, door jambs with with LED's in cab and brake lights and tow hitch. I am curious what exactly I also need to buy. Are there wire connector kits I can buy? Also how will I know if I need to get relays or not?

Thanks
Ricos54 is offline   Reply With Quote