The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
DrKrankenstein

Ride Quality & Stance ??

My '52 has 2 1/2" lowering leaf pack in the front
3" block in the back.
I want to come down a few more inches both front and rear

Can I remove a couple of leafs out of each pack front and back to accomplish this? I know my ride characteristics will change but is there a better shock to install that will help with ride quality?

I know Sids lowers axles but I really am trying to work on a small budget AND I really do not want to wait to with sending mine off then having to wait getting another shipped out, he told me he does not do the core charge stuff anymore.

Is there a more affordable way to get 3"-4" lower than where I am at now.

Thank you
DrKrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Ride Quality & Stance ??

13 inch tires
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #3
dsraven

sorry, couldn't help myself, haha.
I think if you start taking leafs out you will find yourself sprung too soft and it will bottom out all the time. if you wanna try it you have nothing to lose but some time and some new centering bolts for the leafs. if it doesn't work out just put it all back together like before. will the drag link be ok working at a new found angle? will your oil pan clear?
Old 01-05-2018, 12:28 AM   #4
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Do those lowering springs have reversed eyes? If not, a spring shop can do that to further lower your truck. I've never had a problem removing leaves; it's the long ones that do most of the work, so if you remove upper leaves the difference in ride isn't too apparent.
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:39 AM   #5
dsraven

if taking out leaves remember to keep the big lower leaf, if equipped, because that is sorta the overload spring. the rest of the spring pack moves and flattens out as the load changes until it gets to the lower spring leaf, that is the one that stops you from bottoming out.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
mr48chev

He is joking a bit but I ran 14 inch wheels on the front with 195 or 205 14 tires on my 48 for years. That was to get the front lower while having the same percentage of side wall showing as i had with the 255-60-15 tires on the back. I had leaves removed from the front springs which is not a good idea if you want the springs to hold up for a lot of miles.

Meaning you might look at the concept of dropping a tire size or two on the front to drop the truck a bit.

I can't see being like the local low rider club that drives around with 13 inch wire wheels on mid 70 Cad Devilles and Impalas though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #7
DrKrankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
sorry, couldn't help myself, haha.
I think if you start taking leafs out you will find yourself sprung too soft and it will bottom out all the time. if you wanna try it you have nothing to lose but some time and some new centering bolts for the leafs. if it doesn't work out just put it all back together like before. will the drag link be ok working at a new found angle? will your oil pan clear?
Oil pan will clear. Thank you reminding me of drag link
Old 01-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
DrKrankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
Do those lowering springs have reversed eyes? If not, a spring shop can do that to further lower your truck. I've never had a problem removing leaves; it's the long ones that do most of the work, so if you remove upper leaves the difference in ride isn't too apparent.
I am not sure about revered eyes, if I did go that route do you tell the spring shop how much you are trying to lower?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
DrKrankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if taking out leaves remember to keep the big lower leaf, if equipped, because that is sorta the overload spring. the rest of the spring pack moves and flattens out as the load changes until it gets to the lower spring leaf, that is the one that stops you from bottoming out.
Good info Thank you
Old 01-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #10
DrKrankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
He is joking a bit but I ran 14 inch wheels on the front with 195 or 205 14 tires on my 48 for years. That was to get the front lower while having the same percentage of side wall showing as i had with the 255-60-15 tires on the back. I had leaves removed from the front springs which is not a good idea if you want the springs to hold up for a lot of miles.

Meaning you might look at the concept of dropping a tire size or two on the front to drop the truck a bit.

I can't see being like the local low rider club that drives around with 13 inch wire wheels on mid 70 Cad Devilles and Impalas though.
I am running 235/60R16 it has a 2 1/4" whitewall which I like , I would consider smaller wheel but want to keep good size whitewall 2 to 2 1/4"
Old 01-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
mr48chev

A Dropped axle will cost about the same as two new wide whites so there isn't any saving by swapping tires to get it lower.

This becomes one of those deals where there is no free lunch or inexpensive way to do it and maintain ride and handling qualities. Pulling leaves does give a lower stance at the cost of ride and over time destroys the springs because they will sag at a much faster rate.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote